Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farley is not real fond of walks. We're working on it. But he gets spooked easily. Usually he just wants to stop and figure out what he heard. One house we sometimes walk by has a huge dog (in the fence) and he always gets nervous when he realized we are at that point of the walk. And any walk, when we turn the corner for home and he realizes it, he SPRINTS back home. Sometimes he does better than others, usually early morning is good, and late at night is ok, sometimes. We just tried to go now, at 4:30 in the afternoon and I couldn't even get a half a block away. The very large dogs across the street who are usually in the house were out and barking and he just wanted home. he doesn't crouch and shake like I've seen some dogs do, he just wants to go home. He will either turn and try to go back, or will refuse to walk any further.

ANY advice for getting him to like walks more and get over his fears, or is this all just normal. he's 11 weeks old today, btw.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It may sound silly, BUT Otto is the same, if he hears a noise and cannot see what it is or the reason he gets spooked and runs like hell let loose.
What we do if a dog barks from a garden and he is unable to see it, we laugh out loud hahahha it may sound daft but it works

·
Registered
35 Posts
I suggest you watch Cesar Millan in the Dog Whisperer. You can rent the first season at your local Blockbuster or buy the copies individually from Walmart or many other local retailers. He is a strong believer in walks, STRUCTURED walks. He is very "confidence-boosting". He addresses aggression and shyness often, especially when displayed around other dogs. Yes, even those locked up behind fences. It is a very eye opening experience if you've never seen him in action. I believe he has been dubbed the Dr. Phil of canines!! He's AWESOME!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I am sorry but I don't recall how old Farley is...if he is really new to your family and his surroundings, I would say to let him get used to his new home before you take him out to face the world...

You might limit your walks to around your yard or down your street and back.

I think that socializing him at puppy kindergarten is the best way to start and then to let him be around really friendly older dogs that you know.

Right now he is very sensitive to his surroundings and even though you want him exposed to real life experiences and don't want him to cower, his reactions are going to stay with him...and his fear will too, whether or not it is logical.

It sounds to me like his response is not too dramatic, he just wants to know that he can retreat...I'd let him...without making a big deal about it...

Maybe when he gets frightened, have him do some training commands to take his mind off of his fear..."sit" would be a good one, and then YOU control the situation, but cross the street and either continue on, or go home...always giving other commands so that he doesn't think about the other dogs...if possible.

If he is in a training program, I'd ask the trainer how to deal with it...you don't want to reward his fear, but at the same time, you don't want to force him to go into something that is fearful for him. He is very vulnerable to socializaiton right now so you want to do this in a way that will help him deal with similar situations when he is older.

If Farley is older, and has been at your home for a week or so, then I think that you need to address this fear...but if he is new to this environment, give him some time to adjust and feel safe with you before he encounters something that so obviously frightens him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
11 weeks seems young to expect a full-blown walk, I think. We didn't even get Quin until he was 12 weeks. When we were picking him up I asked the breeder about walking him and she said to expect him to be "like a fish on a line." And he was. And sometimes he just sat down and wouldn't go. It wasn't until he was about 14 weeks that I could rely on him walking consistently for more than a block or two. I would just give him more time. I used to keep a pocketful of treats handy and make a trail if he decided not to budge and I really needed him to go. You could try that. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts