Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloooo there. I'm Lauren, I'm 20 years old, and I live in an apartment downtown Indianapolis, IN with my twin sister and our Labradoodle, Guinness. My sister and I grew up with Cockapoos, in fact we had just bought our third one this past spring before moving in together. We named her Beau, and she was the perfect apartment companion. We live right on the Indianapolis canal, which is the perfect spot for dog walking, and Beau thought she owned the place! She played in the fountains, tossed around acorns she found, and climbed every ledge lining the water. Everybody adored her. During our 2-3 walks a day, there wasn't a time somebody didn't stop to pet her and ask what kind of dog she was. She was 8 months old when she had her first seizure. We took her to the vet right away suspecting epilepsy, which we knew was common in Cockers and Poodles, and also something we knew was manageable with medication. For some reason though, within that week, her seizures got
so bad that she was having them almost every minute, and finally she didn't come out of one. We put her down on October 10th.

I realized as soon as we got back to the apartment that day that there was no way I could handle living here without a dog. I'm sure it was "too soon" to start looking for another puppy, but I went against my better judgment and went straight to the classified ads. I was hoping to find a Cockapoo litter in the papers, but when there wasn't, I went straight to the "L" section. I used to dog-sit for a Labradoodle breeder in my home town, and as with most any poodle mixed breed, I fell in love. I was mostly concerned with the price, though; the breeders I knew charged $1000+ per puppy...... being a college, student, that was out of the question. I contacted the three breeders listed in the paper, and come to find out, there was a litter going for $300-500. I couldn't refuse, and the next day I went to look! There were 10 puppies, 1 black, 2 chocolate, and 7 yellows. Their mother was a yellow lab (she obviously had chocolate bloodlines that were a few generations back), and a competitive dock dog, and their father was a black standard poodle. The black and the chocolates were the only ones with curly coats; actually, the yellow puppies looked identical to Labs; it was odd. I just HAD to go with the Chocolate male, though, so for $400, I took home a 1st generation, registered Labradoodle!

The day we brought him home: 8 weeks old and 12 lbs.

We've had him for TWO weeks, and he's already doubled in size! He's gorgeous. He's getting curlier by the day, his beard is growing in, and he's full of energy. He was potty trained pretty much the day we brought him home, he knows "Sit" and "Shake", and he heels like a show dog on a leash! He's just now growing out of that sleepy puppy phase, so we're seeing his personality more. He's a genuinely laid back and loving dog, and I'm so excited that he gets to spend the rest of his life with me! He's soo spoiled already, I work at a "Three Dog Bakery" downtown, so he gets treats and accessories all the time. He'll probably have an argyle sweater and a spiked leather collar by Halloween. :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Welcome Lauren and Guinness :p !

I'm very sorry to hear about Beau....how devastating. Guinness is GORGEOUS!! Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Lauren! I know that losing Beau broke your heart, but there's nothing in the world like a labradoodle to mend a broken heart and make you smile. My 18 month F1, Uma, has a Cockapoo boyfirend (our neighbor) that's about the same age. She's a good 30 lbs heavier than him, but they are seriously in love. He's a very sweet dog and has a similar personality to Uma. I'll have to post a picture of the lovebirds soon. :D

Welcome to DoodleWorld!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Lauren, I know about broken hearts and about healing. We lost our first labradoodle, Hannah, last November to seizures. She was just 6 months old. Then we got a blessing by the name of Tanner...f1b labradoodle. He has healed our hearts. We will never forget Hannah but everyday we are thankful we have Tanner.

You are in for a world of fun...hang on and enjoy it :lol: :lol:

Beau is a doll!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
NIce to meet you Lauren.....sorry to hear about Beau

and your new baby doodle is precious!!! i love chocoate :wink: :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
what a beautiful boy!

so sad about your cockapoo though, we have a friend with a chocolate cockapoo and he is the sweetest!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Lauren and Guinness!! Sorry about Beau, It's like losing a child. Guinness will definitely help. I got my Jonah 2 weeks before my 15yo cocker passed....I couldn't have made it with out Jonah!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodeland

So sorry for your loss and so happy for your new baby.
You will love having a Labradoodle.................

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cinsmom said:
Good luck with school. Are you at U of Indy or IUPUI?
I've actually been to U of I and IU the past couple years, but I'm currently at IUPUI for music/recording. I'm in a band that I'm hoping to get signed with really soon, so that's my main interest at the moment, besides Guinness of course. :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome Lauren and Guinness!! From your neighbors to the east in Cincinnati! Your new little guy is darling! And will be a great comfort to you as you mourn your Beau.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of Beau...losing a pet is never easy....

- I am also a poodle mix lover! In addition to Bailey, my chocolate F! puppy (he will be 7 months on halloween) I have a 4 year old Shih-poo named Sophie.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing Guiness grow...he is gorgeous!!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Lauren and Guinness. A heart touching story that ends with a happy doodle and an even a happier owner. That is what they do best Lauren. Enjoy. He is a really handsome puppy. Congratulations.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome to you both Lauren and Guiness! Love the name, and love the beer!!! Time heals all wounds, and Guiness will heal yours....so sorry about Beau.....Keep us posted with lotsa pics as he grows...we love to watch them grow!!! And don't forget all his antics!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts