Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We are still thinking of calling him Mate or Matey, although a friend of mine said Matey sounded a bit girlie. Perhaps we will have a naming party and see if anyone can come up with a great name. How did all of you come up with your doods names?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I like Matey. It doesn't sound girly to me. I've not met a girl named that - it's kind of like Buddy. It's just not a girl name.

We named Cinnamon because her coat is a reddish brown - the color of cinnamon. (we aren't real original)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Annie said:
although a friend of mine said Matey sounded a bit girlie.
Since you're probably going to get his "goods" removed (neutered) any way....does it matter? :wink:

When you meet him the first time, you'll know if Matey is the name.....AHOY THERE! :lol:

·
Registered
980 Posts
LOL Gene! Maybe he's going to be the first doodle on the forum to get a fake "pair" :lol: :lol:

I love Matey and I don't think it's femme at all.

Our Dexter is a rescue and he was already named. When we saw him and heard the name, it fit so perfectly we didn't dare change it. Seems as if Dexter is quite a popular name for doodles. But he's one of a kind.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We actually checkout out baby name books and even found a couple dog name books at our local library and spent weeks as a family coming up with suggestions and looking up meanings. (Also searched the internet)

We also followed the suggestion that I had read in a few puppy books that the name should be two syllables and end in a long "a" sound for best chance at them learning it quickly and responding to it. I do think that these doodles are so smart you could name them anything and they wouldn't have a problem learning and responding to it.

By the way - Dante means "lasting, enduring, steadfast".

Heather

·
Registered
260 Posts
have you seen the "NameVoyager"? it's pretty cool:

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

when we were debating puppy names last spring we decided we wanted a 2-syllable name that wasn't something you'd hear on the playground or at the dog park. we also knew from the breeder that our puppy would likely end up blue or silver, so we asked our friends from school who are international students for ideas on a "gray" theme. we ended up with "kumo" which means cloud in japanese. it also apparently means spider, i guess that makes it a homophone. go figure!

-em

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
He is adorable! I think that Matey sounds like pirates! How can that be feminine???
"Aye, me mateys! AAArrrrggghhh!" Nope...that's not girly! That's a bunch of sword swinging men heading off to find some booty! LOL (Could be taken any way you want! :wink: )

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Vanessa, that is so cute. I've always loved the name of your dog...even moreso now!
Say, since you know so many languages (I've seen your posts for names) maybe you can help me think of something for my girl Poodle...she is a cutie pie but every time I name her, it just never fits.
She is a bouncy, climbing, digging little stinker! We call her trouble! LOL
But we'd love to know other language translations for:
Trouble
Digger
Or even ballerina? (sp??)

We've been calling her Diggy...but I hate to have someone get a bad impression of her...she is so danged cute! (But a lot of energy!)

G

·
I like Matey and no way is it feminine! Would you name a baby girl Matey? :roll:

Jac, I don't know too many languages BUT I can use babel fish :lol:
Here is what I came up with:
Navet is French for Stinker, pretty with a silent T, or just drop it: Nave'
Despedida is Spanish for bounce, shortened to DeeDee.
Digger has 3 options: Cavador in French could be Dora or Ava.
Zappatore in Italian could be Tory.
Becheur in French...not sure? :lol: NOT Bech :lol:
maybe, Sherry.
I also like Bailey (She is a chocolate and you put Bailey's in coffee :lol: ) or Tia (just because)
:lol:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't think Matey sounds feminine at all! But I have a male named SANDY so what do I know?

G

·
Matey is a great name!! We had a list of names for Boyd when we picked him up but none fit. The first night he was with us we were looking at him sleep and we both said "he looks like a Boyd's teddy bear!" Thus, the name Boyd! :lol:

Of course, we have nicknames for him too:

Boo
Love nugget
Periwinkle
Fluff

Tee hee.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think Matey is a great name. You will know his name as sson as your hold him.
Tucker got his name because he would romp around and then just "tucker out" and flop down. Also I figure he will be around for a while and an old dog named Tuc seems faithful and true.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Jac,

We had a German Shepherd we named Baron Von Hadder - in German it meant "King of Trouble". I had a German friend that named him. We called him Bear - short for Baron, but spelled in the American way - easier to explain to the regular folks!

Hadder could be made into Haddy. Different - no one else would have that name!

G

·
Becky, I like that! Baroness von Hadder or Nessie for short or Hattie!
Or Baroness von Cavador, Queen of Diggers, Dory for short! OK, we are mixing Spanish and German there :lol:
Baroness von Graber is Queen of diggers in German: Abby for short.
Baroness von Muhe is Queen of Trouble and she could be Mwahahahaha for short :lol:
Hahha, this is fun!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
funny i always thought of MATEY as being a Male name hahahha then again you all know how iam :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am not even sure if Denver knows what his real name is
as he gets
Colorado
Avalanche
Poodldoodle
Doodlilicious
Horse
Buddy
Big Puppy
The Cat's Meow
just to name a few

Bahahaahahahaaaa!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sue...quick question: does DENVER come when you call him ? hahhaaa :wink:

annie ...let us know what name you decide though you still have time. I think naming a doodle is half the fun of getting one :D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I love "Matey"! Does make me think of Skipper.....Captain.....Colonel...Sailor

A neighbor has a "Cannon"....I don't know how they came up with that...

A friend told me about a choco lab named "Coffee"

I didn't want to name Coco....Coco Chanel....but my Mom thought of that one and she seems to remember that she picked it .....so since she has Alzheimer's....and Coco is still something she knows she chose...
when she remembers I even have a dog....
I went ahead and named her that....sort of in honor of my loopey Mom.

If I could rename her....don't know what I would pick.

Try this link for names.....
8)
http://petrix.com/dognames/

1 - 20 of 38 Posts