Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

We're finally back after a catastrophic computer crash, then holidays, and what not. Hope everyone has had a good New Year! Along with getting the new horse farm in order, we're getting ready to run my boy through his tests. I have a strong suspicion he'll pass them. Soooo, that being said, I am really looking for a breeding companion for him.

I really want a female of unusual coloring since he's the rare caramel cream ( I love the reds) that he could possibly breed later this year. We've just got plenty of room here for another Labradoodle even if in the off chance that he didn't pass.

I am prepared to wait for the right female so if you've got something coming along or is just young, please let me know.

Again, good to be back! :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry I don't have a doodle for you, but couldn't help but notice that you are in Ware Shoals - I live a bit south of you, in Walterboro, and my boyfriend grew up in Greenwood, SC! Nice to know there are more doodles in SC! And welcome back!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to meet someone as close to me as well! :D

I thought I was really moving out to the boonies when we moved from the Greenville area to Ware Shoals (I'd never even heard of Ware Shoals!). Now I can't stand to go back to the busy areas! I love being out here.

And BTW, Greenwood has the absolute best Sushi restaurant hands down. We used to drive all the way to downtown Greenville but once we found that place, that is the only place we'll go to now.

Where exactly is Walterboro? How many Doodles do you have?

I am looking for a Standard Poodle and/or an F1b to possible breed Louis to. I would like to have a small Labradoodle breeding program as I think they are the best all around dogs I have ever owned and think more people should be able to experience the sheer joy of owning one. I think Louis would produce stunning puppies and he has the best disposition.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome back! I've met some really great people on this forum and am glad to be able to post again!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'll have to try the sushi place next time we are near Greenwood - we will probably go up there again in the next few weeks. My boyfriend still has a very good high school bud who likes to have us visit!

I just have my one labradoodle, Tyke, who just turned 8 months old. She is still quite the little monster, but so cute, she can get away with just about anything! She is what is called a "caramel" color, with the rose pigment and green eyes. I agree with you about doodles being such wonderful dogs - Tyke has finished her puppy preschool and basic obedience, and is starting basic agility in a few weeks, and I am hoping that she will ultimately make a good therapy dog.

Walterboro is about 40 miles due west of Charleston - I-95 runs right past us. (We are where everyone comes to evacuate from hurricanes!)

Hope you find a mate for Louis - he is a beautiful dog, and it would be great to have more doodle breeders in SC!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments on Louis, Kim. :D Your puppy pic is adorable. Will she be a standard size or med.? I love the caramel colors and the eye color on Louis is the same as your puppy. Where did you get her from?

I also love the reds, lavendars, chocolates, cafe au laits, blues, and would love to see more than one parchment--I've only seen one pic of a parchment color Labradoodle.

The sushi restaurant I'm talking about is Nagoya (which offers a sushi bar plus it is a Japanese steakhouse. I would strongly suggest not going anywhere else for sushi in Greenwood--we made the mistake of going to a place downtown Greenwood and it was HORRIBLE!!! :shock: If you really appreciate good sushi, Nagoya is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I think Louis is ADORABLE!! I love the "ghost" eyes that come with the liver nose and cream color.

How old is King Louis? Have you started any testing on him yet?

I do have puppies coming - and expect cafe aulait, as well as blue and black and creams or apricots! Our boy is parti factored but I'm not aware of Sheba being parti factored so I guess we'll see! And I have occasionally worked with other breeders. So email me if you like. Since you are not an established breeder I'd want to talk to you about King Louis' testing before selling a girl without the usual spay/neuter contract.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI KING LOUIS...i am in the middle of Testing BEAU for studding him out, it's both exciting and nerve wracking waiting on TESTS for hips
, rule out diseases, and have overal good stamp of health in order to breed him.

If you're wondering what tests you might want to consider we had started a post on this with breeders saying WHICH TESTS and WHY

it's good reading
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ight=tests

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MaxandMe--Thank you for your advice. I know you're going through the same thing.

Maureen--Thank you for your compliments on the adorability of Louis. Pending his test results, I'd definitely be interested in a female from you. Sheba is gorgeous!

Ok, lets break it down for the novice I am; WHAT tests do you breeders think I need to make sure I'm doing my best to breed healthy puppies?

I am getting ready to do this and want to do what is necessary, not what is speculative and unnecessary.

Thanks all! You guys are fantastic! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KING LOUIS the link i put UP in my 1st post discusses just that

doing either PennHIP and/or OFA hip test is 1st and foremost
Pawsitive ID now does DNA testing for $50 on coat color genetics but more importantly over 20 diseases
the link will show which are most important

Also yearly CERF test
then there's elbows...cardiac...throid

also going to the International labradoodles association
(google it, comes up) also shows LIST of tests
cause of the problems that Poodles and Retrievers can have
thus this is a mixed breed
for ME i am doing full testing

Quickly...why PennHip? cause at early age of 4mos onward you get a Measurement of hips which says how tight or loose and can rule our Hip Dysplacia and you ONLY do it once
OFA anything before a dog is 2yrs old is a PRE_LIM

now the link hahahaaaa yes back to that again HAS SO MUCH OF WHAT I AM TYPING OUT AND MORE!

in a nutshell: you need to rule out certain diseases, along with poor hips, hereditary eye problems , and more
The breeding pair may be carriers of certain things
which Pawsistive ID can rule out

NOW if you want certain coat color.....Pawsitive ID give
genetic makeup so you know what to look for with a mate for breeding then

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, not much I can add here...great advice...except my welcome and to tell you that I agree that King Louis is stunning!
I am happy that you are considering all aspects, sizing and such, for your female selection.
It is also really great that you are testing him now. I am impressed. 8)
Please feel free to contact me. (I did respond to your email, but it was late because your email went into my spam folder...if you didn't get it, let me know!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maxand Me--

Thank you for breaking down the info for me. I didn't have time to run through the entire article. We've been soooo busy.

Maureen--

I will email you as soon as I get a chance. I certainly need the advice and mentorship of established, knowledgeable breeders like you.

Jac--

I did not get your email!!! Please send again to [email protected]

Thanks to all you guys! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maureen--

I have not as yet started any testing on Louis.

He was born 5-15-06 so he is coming 2 years of age.

And I forgot to mention, thank you Jac for commenting on Louis about him being stunning. He truly is stunning and when I found him, I was blown away!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, you are in good shape! I like having my dog's pedigree info and OFA likes to have a registration number so if you have CKC info to register Louis, go ahead and do it, or take that info with you when you get Louis' X-ray done.
It takes 2-3wks to get the report back from OFA, but Email me anytime!

Sheba's puppies are due next week and I can hardly wait! Her chocolate girls do tend to go quickly tho.
:D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier - I got sidetracked and forgot to recheck the forum! Tyke is probably going to end up being a small standard - right about 21"-22" inches and about 45 lbs. (Her mom is about that size) I got her from Birdwalk Farm in Crossville Tennessee.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Megan....there are two hip tests done usually for breeding
and if you doodle isn't showing signs or under a year old
i'd give it time if you really want to test your dog.

PennHip can range from $250 to $500 depending where you live
and you do it once

OFA $150 +...you really need a good vet to do it and it done before 2yrs of age well it needs to be done again

BUT if your doodle were to show signs of Hip Dysplasia FIRST talk to your vet.
HIPS tests usually aren't done to "see if" rather there done if there's a problem and/or you're going to breed. but if you want, your vet is a better advisor than me :D

Diet and exercise the 1st year is so important
if your doodle is going to be medium to large size then feeding a lower protein diet as in for large breed puppies is good so there are rapid growth spurts

exercise...natural running playing jumpin outside etc dogs don't usually injure themselves
but walking say 5 mi or more a day constantly, or jogging 4 to 5mi a day , or letting them run up and down stairs all day long
well that can cause injury down the line and aid in hip dysplasia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts