Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone been told *not* to feed their puppy large breed formula food? we have maggie on eukenuba large breed and at our first training class last night, the trainer recommended putting her on regular puppy food b/c the large breed encourages them to get as big as they can get.

i'd never heard anything like that and have no idea if it's true.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
Please invite that trainer to stick to their area of knowledge! or...if you aren't as mouthy as me.... :wink: ...you can invite them to read the package!
The large-breed foods (we use Purina's premium foods) are EXACTLY the opposite! They've reduced the protein % so that the musculature is NOT too big to stress their still-developing joints!

If this is a trainer at a store like PetsMart and they don't correct themselves, I think I would suggest speaking to a manager there. This isn't a helpful bit of advice.

I better stop with just the facts. :lol: Thanks for asking and double-checking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maureen is right. The fat, protein and calcium levels are adjusted to slow down the growth of large breed puppies. Eukanuba is one of the very best. Until a few months ago it was what we raised our Doodles on. Changing foods had nothing to do with the quality but the lack of availablity in our area (rural).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info! :) it sounded odd to me. the trainer is great (maggie already learned - in less than 24 hours - the 'watch me' command) but i thought this sounded weird.

(and it is at petsmart - i'll try to talk to the manger next class)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kris, I'll chime in here to support what Maureen and Lee Ann have said...I feed Eukenuba, my vet sells it and highly recommends it...although that isn't always a great indication either...but in general, as Maureen said, the reason you use large breed puppy food is BECAUSE it is designed to slow the quick growth of puppies.
The reason you don't want large puppies to grow quickly is because such rapid growth can have a negative impact on joints and bones...specifically hips and elbows.
By the way, I went to a local pet store to buy food and the (very young) sales clerk advised me that Eukenuba was not a good food, that vet's are given supplies by the manufacturer and that the vet's don't know that this brand is too high in protein. (My point is that experts come in all ages, all careers, all levels of 'expertise' :wink: ! So, trust your vet and your research and your results.)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Oh my! Now I'm really confused. My breeder told me to be sure to get a puppy food that had at least 26 percent protein and feed Dakota that for a year and then reduce the amount of protein. For that very reason I chose Science Diet Large Breed Puppy Food because it does have 26 percent protein. Am I doing the wrong thing?? Dakota turned 11 weeks 2 days ago and last night he weighed in at 17 1/2 lbs--a two pound gain in 5 days. Is that too much? He came to us with giardia and the diarrhea may have slowed down initial weight gain.

·
Registered
158 Posts
SD is a good food and if he is having regular, firm bowel movements then you should keep him on it until 15-18 months, then blending into an adult formula.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No...don't rely on the sales clerk comment of mine...it was said tongue-in-cheek...to point out that everyone has an opinion. The best you can do is research your options and make a decision based on what you want for your dogs. I don't believe that there is a right or wrong...except that I do agree that the regular grocery store brands are not very healthy...most of them contain sugar as a major ingredient.
Just check ingredients and see what you want to feed your dog and go with your feelings. Your vet can be a good guide too.
Just don't overfeed a large breed dog...that is the point. Normal, suggested feeding is good...but don't give more unless you monitor your dog's weight too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As far as suggested feeding on the back of the bag goes: the companies usually suggest more food than a dog needs.

An important note to add to dog food labeling is that the quality of contents can be determined by the order and verbiage used to describe the contents. For example, "beef, fish, lamb..." means 95% meat by weight, where "beef for dog" means 70%+ meat, "beef dinner, entree, platter, etc" only means 25%+ meat, "dog food with beef" only must have 3% meat, and "beef-flavored" only needs to taste like beef, but contain no meat.

The same creative marketing skills are employed in the grain content. That is why some dog food looks like it doesn't have much grain in it when it does. Instead of just listing corn, soybean, wheat, wahtever, the company breaks it down into smaller catagories to throw the consumer off balance like this: flour, meal, bran and middlings. That way they can list them down the list of ingredients, but if added all together then the grain in many brands would be the first item listed. I'm sure I have described this as clear as mud!

Spending time researching your brands and contents of each bag is important and will be seen in smaller bowel movements resulting in higher nutritional absorption by your dog.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a question that fits into this thread. I have Coal on Nutro Natural Choice Puppy and he is doing well on it. They have a large breed formula as well but I hesitated to buy it as I was told Coal's parents both weigh 45lbs. Is this considered "large breed"? I wasn't sure so I went with the regular puppy food. What would y'all do?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I know exactly what you mean, but considering the forefathers have large breeds in them and we are trying to help stave off problems, I personally use large breed formula with all my medium and large breed puppies. I believe Jac mentioned that one of her dogs is 43 or 44 pounds and she uses it too. Slow growth in a larger dog is the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have to add my 2 cents in :wink: I advise all my buyers to feed the large breed puppy food until 5 or 6 mos of age and then switch to adult feed.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OK--that's enough--I'm switching to Eukanuba. It seems to be very similar to Iams, but maybe just a bit better. I took another look at the ingredients for the Science Diet I bought and it lists corn first, unlike Eukanuba which lists chicken first. I know starting out with corn isn't a good sign; don't know what happened, I'm usually more attentive . . .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eukanuba and Iams are made by the same manufacturer, but Eukanuba is the professional version and Iams is the grocery store version. You are making a good choice.
Another food I am just crazy about is Exclusive. It is the highest end made and distributed by PMI. The caveat is it can only be purchased at PMI dealers not mass pet store chains, etc. Here is the number to locate the closest dealer to you if you might be interested: 1-800-332-4738
Linda tried this first with an ailing pup and he got better, so next time I went to the purchase feed I blended and switched over to it with my yorkie Mom and pups. I am impressed with it and am in the process of switching over to it for all my dogs. The list of ingredients are impressive and it is about $25 for 33-35 pounds which is a good price for a super premium food! They keep their prices down with no advertising and feed dealer distribution.
Sorry for all the options, but there are plenty out there!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am unsure of that, but will be ordering more later in the week and I will ask about large breed availability. I have transitioned 5 pregnant or lactating females on it as of this week and have been happy with the results. Nice bowel movements, not smelly... Unfortunately, none of these gilrs are large breed. The most important aspect of this would be the calcium levels. I will check on the ingredient details tomorrow. I vaguely remember when I looked at it I thought it would be good even though the labeling did not specify large breed. You might shoot Linda an e-mail and get her opinion too since she has been using it longer.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have just started a search for new dog feed this past month and ran across PMI. I was impressed with the ingredients and also impressed that there were so many dealers around here. I have started my dogs on the PMI Nutrition Chicken and Rice. I have noticed a lot less waste and firmer stools, the dogs love it and it smells GOOD. The dealer here didn't carry the Exclusive but I am very happy with the PMI Nutrition.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is that the navy blue bag? My big dogs are on that this week and the stools and everything look good, but man oh man am I impressed with what I have Penelope and her 3 little ones on (Exclusive--aqua colored bag). I just put Millie on it 2-3 days ago and her stool for 24 hours was so small (smaller than a pill bottle). We are talking pooping cocker too, my least favorite whelping pen to clean. I am sold on it! We have used several feeds: Science Diet, Eukanuba, Diamond, and now we are moving over to this stuff. My only concern is national availability for my puppy parents. It is worth the extra drive if one has to go to a Purina Mills feed store!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here's what I've decided on the Exclusive for Large breed puppies. I would feed the Chicken & Rice for the adults at 15% fat (2% less fat than the puppy and 1% calcium). Otherwise, I believe I am going to try another one of their products, ProPlan Lg. Br. Puppy at 12% fat and 1 % calcium. My order doesn't go in until Monday, so I still have time to decide! Right now I am leaning towards the Exclusive Chicken & Rice adult in the red bag, but I am wating for a return call on some questions about the ProPlan before I make my order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't mean to be so graphic, but when you say less poop...what exactly do you mean? Gunner has 2-3 BM a day. Is that a lot or is that the less you were talking about?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts