Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem with their doodles? THe constant tearing and streaking down the face? My vet said it was lacimal duct atresia. My understanding is that means the duct that ordinarily drains the tears out of the eyes (kind of like a downspout on your house) is blocked, so the tears just overspill out of the eye and down the face. He said it was fairly common in poodles and not to do anything about, just wipe her eyes with a warm towel occassionally. I don't have any experience with this type of thing. Anyone else? I read a little on the internet, but there isn't much there. I understand there is surgical procedure that's available, but I wonder if that's worth it. Doesn't seem to bother anything.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had a Cocker who had the same problem. Never bothered him at all. In fact I think he like the extra attention of me using the wash cloth on him daily! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
betty..some poodles are known for this. unless your vet says something is wrong it's normal in a way.
Peanut gets eyeboogers daily and max did but outgrew them HOWEVER they don't have tearing down their face. I know what you described and it stains their fur on lighter colored dogs.

I am trying to think if a friend of mine got ointment from her vet. but i do know using a warm moist towel can help and yes you'll probably do this daily.

as far as surgery goes...me, i say if it aint broke dont' fix it.
So if there's no infection, then your doodle will get a little extra one on one time with you each and every day :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts