Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard lots of different opinions, some say there is no temperament differences just that the labradoodle has a curly coat, others say the labradoodles are smarter, and others say the labradoodles are calmer and less energetic. I was just wondering your opinions on this! Thanks :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello...

I have always been a fan of labs. I have always loved their personalities and temperments. They are good guide dogs, hunters, and a good family dog. To me, my doodle is just like a lab. Everything about him would make you say "yup he has lab in him". He is very smart. My husband taught him to give left paw or right paw in 2 days. He is a good watch dog and loyal to us. When I bring him to the beach and if my daughter is with us (she is 6) he will sit real close to her and watch every move she makes. If someone gets close to us he stands up and gets right by her side. He knows to protect her I guess. Now the coats are different with all the doodles...some have very curly hair and its obvious they have poodle in them. My dood has short wavy hair. Some have long tall legs like poodles do. Leno's height and weight make him look like a lab, its his wavy hair that always make people say "a lab with curly hair???"...then I explain he is a doodle! I dont know if doodles are smarter than labs or smarter than poodles...but they are definately really smart dogs, and are known for their trainability. Lots of people choose to get a labradoodle because of the little to none shedding coat, and they are good for people who have allergies.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree, great dogs and I can definitely tell Sammy has good lab lines in her. To me though the difference is that there is a little more of that "human" nature in my doodle. I grew up with standard poodles that were very "human-like" meaning when you talk to them you feel like they understand somewhat and they have emotions and intelligence that go beyond other breeds.

quick example: my family's first poodle Sam (Sammys namesake) would go pout in the the den whenever he heard car keys or saw suitcases because he knew he wasnt invited wherever it was that we were going. He would go to pout and would literally "ignore" you when you went in to say goodbye. I can remember trying to physically move his head to look at me so I could say bye and he would keep his face turned away from me essentially ignoring me. LOL

I see more of this in my doodle Sammy than I do in my fiance's family's lab. The labs are smart in the sense that they are SOOOOO loyal and really WANT to please you and they can learn very quickly, and the poodles are smart in the sense that they have personalities and characters and an understanding that is beyond most breeds of dogs, and really my doodle has a great mix of BOTH those qualities in her.

DOODLES ARE THE BEST COMBO!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Kelly is so right on with the Poodles be more human like, before I got Johnson my Standard Poodle so that I could start breeding Labradoodles I never knew a dog could be that way. Just the way he looks into your eyes like he is speaking to you with them it is amazing he has such a personalty. So I believe that Doodles get the best of both as long as the breeder is temperament testing before breeding. Not every dog makes a good breeder so we do have to be careful I think the other breeders on this forum will agree with me on that.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In my opinion, the biggest difference between the lab and labradoodle is that the Labradoodle matures faster than the Lab. A Lab can stay a puppy for 3-4 years where as the Labradoodle tends to settle down and mature much sooner. I agree whole heartedly with Kelly on how humanlike the Labradoodle is, it is amazing and their attention span is so much larger than any dog I have ever been around. They continue to constantly amaze me :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
a small thing - but I've noticed our labradoodle uses her front paws like hands - I have never seen a lab do that

I met a schnoodle on the beach the other day - adorable little block pup - and his owner said he uses his front paws like that too, must be a poodle thing

·
Registered
164 Posts
My moms Chesapeake Bay retriever uses his paws a lot like hands too...but I have noticed my doodle is starting to do it too....its really cute how they do it!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its those expressive Doodle eyes that get me. Based on what I've seen at the Doodle Romps we've had it seems pretty common to these guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts