Labradoodle Forums banner

Labradoodle's Coat?

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  eetubbs 
#1 ·
HI all. I have a question. Does anyone know the main differences between a poodle and labradoodle's coat? I heard that poodles have coarser hair.. and curly/wavy.. is that true? My labradoodle has the softest coat and its wavy. is the softness from the lab or poodle? thanks

#2 ·
Hi There

Hopefully you will hear from some of the breeders on this forum who have both poodles and labradoodles. They are all great to share information.

I have an F1B who was shaved a few weeks ago and is now growing back her coat. It is pretty much identical, both in look and feel, to a standard poodle I know who was also recently shaved. Both very curly and soft. But I think my labradoodle's coat is slightly softer.

#3 ·
Poodles usually have a very wooly coat when grown. Labradoodles can have a variety of different coats from hair to wool, depending on the generation of the Labradoodle and also the breedings that took place. Mikko and Zeke both had the softest curls when going thru their puppy stages and then BAM! they have very wooly coats and very tight curls which is great for doodle breeding :wink:

#5 ·
I just attended the Breeders Round Table in Orlando, Fla last weekend and one of the things I heard that was interesting was that if you shave your pup when they are "blowing their puppy coat", their coat will come in beautifully. Now I don't know how true this is or if it has been tested on several different doodles of different generations but just thought I would share that little tidbit of news with you all :)

#6 ·
The top photo is Sadie after her buzz cut. It doesn't show well, but her coat is very short and curly. The bottom photo is before the haircut. Her coat was wavy, but not the tight curls she has now. She looks like two different dogs! It will be interesting to see what her coat looks like once it grows out again.

#8 ·
poodles have a different puppy coat. they are super soft as babies and their grown up coat comes in thicker and tighter. I can see in the labradoodles (at least the f1b's) that the puppy fur is soft and the under coat as it grows is certainly tighter and a different texture than the puppy coat. It makes perfect sense to me that cutting it would bring on a different coat because you are always cutting poodle fur off!

G
#9 ·
Jannie,
Sadie is beautiful!
I, too, am anxiously awaiting the look of Bella's new coat after she was shaved at 7 months when she started blowing her puppy coat. Although a different color, I see a similarity between her and your Sadie. I would say Sadie has a 'spiral' coat in the before photo (not curls and not loose waves).
Bella before her shave:

Bella after her shave:

#10 ·
dixiedi said:
I just attended the Breeders Round Table in Orlando, Fla last weekend and one of the things I heard that was interesting was that if you shave your pup when they are "blowing their puppy coat", their coat will come in beautifully. Now I don't know how true this is or if it has been tested on several different doodles of different generations but just thought I would share that little tidbit of news with you all :)
Dixiedi, was there a recommendation for how short to shave them? I have been considering having Lani clipped, at aomost 11 months do you think she is still shedding her puppy coat? We still only find tufts of her hair around the house, not as much as early summer. Was the recommendation for the fuller coat doodles only or all doodles? So many questions! :)

#11 ·
Hi Lisa, he could still be blowing his puppy coat at 11 mos. They really didn't say what generation, I wouldn't think it would matter. I prefer the scissor cuts to the shaving but it is hard to find someone that knows how to do the scissor cuts.

#12 ·
no doubt dixiedi know the groomers in her area :) but for others thinking they may want a scissor cut (and that is what I prefer as well) call around or ask around to see who grooms the best poodle! A good poodle groomer will be well versed in scissor cuts - beware there are bad poodle groomers as well. Ask if they ever showed or groomed for show. If they have you probably have a good poodle groomer :)

#13 ·
We do have a groomer that does scissor cut. What length did they recommend the fur to be cut to? This is how she looked after we had her groomed at the end of July, she was scissor cut. Would this count as the the "shaving"

Here she is now. (yesterday)

#15 ·
When Sadie was shaved her hair was probably less than a quarter of an inch. It was drastic because her undercoat was so matted from swimming. I much prefer the scissor cut that was done on Lani.

Bella's coat looks similiar to Sadie's. And you are right Linda, Sadie's hair was in spirals, she looked like a rastafarian, except for the colour. You will have to let us know how Bella's hair grows out.

#16 ·
Lani is absolutely gorgeous!! Your groomer does a wonderful job, you have found a jewel in your groomer :) I think she has a beautiful coat, not much room for improvement :wink:

#17 ·
I have a question about coats too. People keep referring to Lizzie as "wire-haired." Do you all think if I shave her, it will come back curly? She's 11 mths old and I haven't noticed that her fur/hair blew out. Is there any standard time when that happens? Thanks.

LizziesMom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.