Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am a new member. I joined because I am considering a Labradoodle as our next pet. We have owned Labradors in the past and I was wondering what, other than shedding, are the major differences. I know all dogs have there own personalities but how are poodles different from labs? Thanks to all! :?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum you've cometo the right place for answers.

Poodles are very active and smart they learn very quickly so the doodles get this from them as well as the Labs. Standard Poodles were the original water fowl dogs bred in France so most love water and like to retrieve which surprises some folks. They don't shed and don't throw dander that's where our doodles get this from. They have great personalities and are very loving and have a way of looking to me right through you. These are the things that come to mind off the top of my head I'm sure others will add more.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
In my experience with owning the 2 breeds, Poodles are generally more laid back than Labs and are gentler, and less of the "bull in a china shop". They're more apt to bond to the whole family rather than a single individual, don't put out the doggy odor that labs do, are highly intelligent and crave human companionship so often become a shadow to their family. They come in a variety of sizes, so you can breed to smaller poodles to get smaller dogs if you're not into having a 60+ lb one, with a wider range of colors as well.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
gene said:
I think doodles get the "Tigger gene" from the poodle also!
LOL Gene, have to agree on that one for sure, they get their hopping from Kangraroo !

Keep in mind, some Labrodoodles do shed, if you are wanting a non-shedder you have a better chance getting an F1B, but.........they can shed, no guarantees just better odds.
With the ones that do not shed, you have to have them groomed or groom them yourself - frequency depends on how long you want their hair, but you still need to brush often or they will get matted.
the "doodle" part is crazy, loves to run in circles (doodle 500) and jump/hop like a deer/kangaroo.

They are very intelligent creatures, therefore can be very devious and conniving, though none of them will admit to that :wink:

Best of all, they are loveable critters who just want to brighten your life :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Janinjax, welcome!
I am not the right person to compare a Labrador Retriever to a Labradoodle as I have never owned a Lab...I do love them though, I think that they are great dogs (judging from friends/family Labs).
I do know a lot about doodles! We have quite a batch of them in our house now...!
They really can be wonderful dogs, and I say "can be" because they are not for everyone, they do have a lot of energy and love to have companionship. Some people prefer that their dogs are more settled and independent.
Also these dogs are soooooo smart that if you don't train them properly and consistently, they can learn that they are in charge, not you....and you may have a few difficult moments...so if you decide on a Labradoodle, be committed to work with the puppy daily. If you do, and if you give lots of love, you will be amazed at the love given to you in return!
I adore these dogs and everyone who has ever owned one of our puppies feels the same way...
You might want to arrange to meet a few...find a "doodle romp" near you and pay them a visit! Doodles usually love new faces and happy voices!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
labs vs. doodles

Hi to all! Thank you so much for the replies. I definitely know more now than I did. My labs were very independent and I really want the sweetness of a lab but much more cuddling and companionship that sounds like the poodle. The only other question I have is how active is active? I would walk my other dogs twice a day for a couple miles. And of course have outside fetching time. How much exercise do doodles require? Thanks again!! :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Janinjax,
I applaud you for doing your research prior to getting a dog.

My poodle is far less active than either of my labs and he's much younger. (1 yr old poodle, 5 yr old labs) It's not that he "can't" keep up to the labs, but he doesn't have that driving need that they do to wear off energy. If you want a less high energy dog than the lab, you might look for a pup that favors the poodle side in that respect. Any breeder worth their salt will know their pups well enough to be able to tell you which ones in their litters are more boisterous or laid back.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there
I can answer to the exercise as I have one of the largest, if
not the largest Doodle here named Denver.(100lbs)
I mention size because I have heard that size does not matter when it comes to exercise for a doodle but it is my experience that is does.
Where we go swimming there are a couple of Doodles, a approx 60 pounder and a 30-40 pounder and they can not keep up with Denver.
All dogs seem to tire before he does. Remember though that, this is just my experience.

He gets two playdates everyday as I only have the one dog.His morning playdate lasts about 60 minutes and that includes
walking, playing fetch and a very good wrestling match with his two
best pals. In the evening he gets a 2hour playdate that involves the same
activities as in the morning, except that swimming is added in on some evenings. Denvers playdates, a Golden retriever mix
and a Bull Mastiff are always tired out before him so we always continue the fetch game with Denver while the other two rest.
My hubby is always home at lunch to give a potty break to Denver and some training and a little bit of play as Denver much prefers to sleep at this time.
At least 3 times a week he goes swimming for about two hours per time.
Denver is very happy with this regiment and is tired enough as he
is in charge of nine cats(Well the cats are in charge , but we tell Denver that he is the boss)during the day while we work and the house is always in one piece when we get home. A tired Doodle is a great Doodle theory.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner who is 13 months old needs 2-3 walks daily (1-2 miles), 30+ minutes serious chuckit ball fetch and probably 2-3 hours misc. playing, petting, grooming per day. He is not a dog that you can take on a walk in the AM then ignore until evening walk. The above is in addition to going to doggy daycare 2-3 times a week for 9 hours.

Now we are an older couple and don't have children or other dogs to play with Tanner. I think that would make a difference.

When he is in his quiet mode though, he is still within a foot of either my husband or me.

We love it and wouldn't want it to be any other way....he brightens every day and challenges us keeping our brain cells working :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we have 2 doodles. We also work full time. They play/wrestle for about 30 min outside (weather permitting) in the morning. Then after work they'll play/wrestle for another 30 min. Then I try to take each for a 1 mile walk (not everyday, but prob 3-4 days during the work week). They'll then go outside for chasing several times per night.

When we just had Dex, he would get the 1 mile walk in the morning (everyday) and several sessions of fetch in the evening (sometimes a 2nd 1 mile walk). He has calmed a bit since he turned 1. Kirby seems to need less exercise than Dex. Dex is a labradoodle and Kirby is a irish setter doodle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the replies!! Sounds like a doodle will be perfect as long as I get a mellower puppy rather than the boss of the litter. :) I will leave that determination to the breeder. And I will ask for one that has more of the poodle traits. I am 47 and can still handle exercise just not like I could ten years ago! :lol: Can't wait until I can post a picture to show. Ya'll are the best. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just talk to your breeder they can tell out of the litter which pup will be the best fit for you. If they can't then find another breeder. Good breeders spend a lot of time with their pups and know which pup is the most active and which one is most likely to be a lap dog. Not saying that all dogs don't have their moments because they do, but as a breeder you really can predict what they will be when grown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I feel so much better. I think a doodle will be a perfect fit for us. As long as I can remember that I am boss while looking into those awesome scruffy adorable faces :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
janinjax said:
Wow, I feel so much better. I think a doodle will be a perfect fit for us. As long as I can remember that I am boss while looking into those awesome scruffy adorable faces :lol:
And that my new friend is the ticket, to remember that while looking
into that adorable scruffy face, that you are the boss.

I am 52 years old and Denver is my pride and joy.
I love exercising him as the time spent with him is an honour as far as
I am concerned and I consider myself to be very lucky to be able to be a part of this magnificent animal's life. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I am 52 years old and Denver is my pride and joy.
I love exercising him as the time spent with him is an honour as far as
I am concerned and I consider myself to be very lucky to be able to be a part of this magnificent animal's life.
Beautiful post Sue..and IS magnificent!! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts