Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any explanation of the differences between the F1 labradoodle and the F1 goldendoodle? I keep going back and forth between them - those puppy pictures are SO adorable, but don't understand the true character differences between them. Is the coat different or require different grooming? Is the temperament different or is that dog-dependant? We are a family of 5: mom, dad and three boys ages 7, 10, and 13. My husband has hopes of teaching the dog to hunt/retrieve birds.

Thanks!
Shana
Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
cant speak for goldendoodles, but can assure you that a labradoodle can and does hunt/retrieve. ckc registers labradoodles so if that is important I would look for hunting lines when choosing otherwise you could end up with a gun shy or hard mouthed dog. :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
HI

That is a good question, the f1 labradoodles can be smooth like a lab,, wirey look ,,like a irish wolfhound or wavy to curly coated,,all within the same litter,,so you have somewhat of a choice on the look you want
the goldendoodle is more consistant in the wavy curly coat and requires more grooming in general
The Poodle was the orginal water retriver so they all should love water ,and they are so smart and easy to train they have the potential to learn anything!!! If they understand what you are asking of them, they will learn bend over backwards to make you happy!!!
Doodles are the Best!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Besides the texture of the coat, I'd think you'd have a much wider range of color possibilities with the labs since they have 3 colors to bring to the table versus the Golden which has only varying shades of the one.

If he were going to be looking strictly for a hunting dog and had to choose between a pure lab or a pure golden which would he prefer? That might also help you decide.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Color

I have blacks phantoms silvers cream tan white, and had one chocolate in over 6yrs of breeding, so lots of colors available in goldendoodles, :) only color i dont have is partis and thats because i wont breed back to poodle to get them(too much coat for most folks in results of f1b goldendoodles)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yup

It depends on what color the poodle is or has in its background
I have one black one that now has chocolate coming thru almost phantom markings,,or could end up chocolate,, i quit tryin to predict,,LOL
i think i have 2 more that its happening to also,,
Black is a dominant gene, a true silver and true chocolates are born black,,most of my blacks have lightened as they mature, they have liter coloring thruout their coats,,its just beautiful

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I love this question!
I have wondered about the differences, because I've never owned a Golden but have had the chance to get Goldendoodles for breeding and have wondered about them.

My question is for breeders....how is it, trying to determine the shedding factor of G'doodles? In Labradoodles there is such a difference between a fleece-coated puppy and a coarser coated puppy. How is it telling the difference in Goldendoodle puppies, at, say, 6wks old?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Very easy

normal shed tests, typically a goldendoodle is very light to non
not sure why that is on first generation ,compared to f1 labradoodles
i do f1b labradoodles i do NOT do f1b goldendoodles , since the f1 goldendoodles have the desired coats in general and breeding back makes them have more coats then most want ,,too much like poodle
the f1b labradoodles, have a coat more like the f1 goldendoodles the majority of the time,
heck i have a flat coated F3 labradoodle that doesnt shed ahair,,i just tested him again last week,,so the look of the coat has nothing to do with the shedding factor in my experience

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
This IS neat. Thanks Nancy for sharing your wisdom.
I find this all so exciting and interesting but will be the first to admit I have a LOT to learn. So I come up with many questions. :oops:
I'd gotten to know GSDs so well that I could pretty accurately predict how they'd look full grown, but this is a whole different ballgame. LOL

How fun!

G

·
Not to confuse the issue but I have what they are calling a North American Retriever which is a labradoodle crossed with a goldendoodle. My Maya is only 4 mos old but so far she is a great dog and very easy to train (although like a typical puppy sometimes she has selective hearing)!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No problem

Tink said:
This IS neat. Thanks Nancy for sharing your wisdom.
I find this all so exciting and interesting but will be the first to admit I have a LOT to learn. So I come up with many questions. :oops:
I'd gotten to know GSDs so well that I could pretty accurately predict how they'd look full grown, but this is a whole different ballgame. LOL

How fun!
No problem,,happy to help,,, with the hybrids there is really no rhyme or reason, we are all learning and finding things new as we go :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Coats aside does anyone who has experience with both Labradoodles and Goldendoodles notice any maturity differences? My DH thinks labs tend to mature and settle down at a younger age than goldens which was one of the reasons my DH was more interested in a labradoodle instead of a goldendoodle. I just wondered if anyone has noticed a difference or if adding the poodle kind of evens this out?

Heather

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My observations

A goldendoodle normally matures faster then a f1 labradoodles ,.,,f1b labradoodles tend to mature faster then the first gen
F1 Labradoodles can be a bit "busy" until a later age
if you have had experiences with most labs they rarely ever mature,, :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doodles

I really appreciate all the replies. We looked at some beautiful F1 labradoodles today, but the kennel conditions were less than satisfactory (another story). We're looking at F1 Goldendoodles tomorrow that are being brought up in a home environment, I think that may fit our desires better. Thanks for the help, and keep it coming!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Maya is gorgeous !

I have never been around a Goldendoodle so can't help there. I've had 4 labs and loved all of them - all had distinctively different personalities but were all very loving.

I have never owned a golden retriever but have been around my sisters 2 goldens and a friends and they were enough to tell me I did not want a golden - they were all Very nervous dogs and shed so much heavier than my labs and their hair was very "cat like" - stuck to things much worse than my labs hair. I dont know if Goldendoodles are like that or not.

Can't wait to see your new pup when you bring one home - Good luck in your search !

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have a F1 labradoodle and a F1 goldendoodle

Difference for me is ...Max sheds a little, Peanut (goldendoodle) except for blowing her puppy coat she does NOT shed at all.

I can PM you my photobucket site if you want so you can see the difference in coats....peanut has a shaggy look, fleece coat.

both have different personalities but share in Stealing socks and defuzzing toys.

HERE IS MY PHOTOBUCKET SITE in case the PM takes awhile
http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/OurMax/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts