Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my post at here and just to like to let everyone know the this forum is very educational.

i just adopted a 14 month male Labradoodle named Bigfoot from a lady a week ago and over all i am very impressed with this breed of dogs. i think my Labradoodle is a F1 (first generation half brown lab and half standard white poodle).

what i notice about Bigfoot is that he smells very bad. i have had other dogs before (beagle, lab and husky) but none have this smell. i gave him a bath but still the smell came back the next day. i also notice that his anal glands fills up very fast. everytime he poo i also notice that his anal seems to lick so i cleaned it but it seems to get filled in a few days or so.

my question is what can i do to contro that smell and will he grow out of it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are sure the smell is anal gland related, I suggest you take Bigfoot to your vet and let them fully express his glands. Also have them check for any sores and look in his ears to rule out infection. A thorough exam should find the problem. Good luck and enjoy your doodle!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I totally agree with 2doodlemom :!: If you suspect an anal gland problem, definitely go see your vet. Dexter had to have his anal sacs expressed at the vet at least once a month for about 10 months. It may have been due to food alergies. He also got ear infections. We switched his food. His ears cleared up almost immediately and at his last check-up his glands were much better :!:

What are you feeding Bigfoot :?:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Ditto on all the above. I've never had problems with the anal gland, but until we changed foods, Jonah had the the yeasty ears. Welcome to you and the handsome Bigfoot! How large is he? He sure is a handsome boy! Great name too! :wink:

G

·
Welcome Bigfoot! Congrats on your gorgeous Bigfoot! I second a vet visit and a possible food and/or treat change. If your food has corn as a first ingredient, I would definitely change it. He could actually be allergic to the type of meat in the food, but corn is a pretty common allergen in dogs, I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the anal gland does not seems to be filled i was able to emtpy it once. i also check the ears and had to clean it. i do not think the smell is coming from the ears. its from his body. i will try to slowly change the food this week and see have him check by the my vet.

bigfoot is about 65 lb. i am a grad student in social work. i hope to train bigfoot to be a therapy dog. hope this works out.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome to you and to Big Foot (love the name!)
I second what everyone has said. Doodles generally don't have "doggie odor" (some DO, but most often any scent comes from stuff they roll in.)
I second what you have been told.
I have never, ever had to empty an anal sac (nor has my vet) thank goodness...and we have a BUNCH of dogs...so I can't say that it is normal, but it does sound like others have had the same problem...and it took a regular vet visit to clear it up.
I hope that you are able to get Big Foot into therapy use...that is a wonderful gift.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland Bigfoot
You are beautiful
The advice you have been given is as good as it gets
so I will repeat see vet and welcome again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Welcome...Bigfoot is very handsome :wink: :wink:

Tanner has had to have the vet express his anal glands several times...the groomer tried expressing from the outside (they cannot do internally) but unless you do it from inside, you don't get all the stuff out. Some times they can get impacted, infected...if he still smells it is worth having it checked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took Bigfoot to the vet and found a lot of problems with Bigfoot. First he has an ear infection, than alergy skin problem, and bronchitis, finally his throw seems to be sworn. what a day.

It seems like the old owner never took care of bigfoot. i had a talk with the old owner and she told me that she never gave Bigfoot any heartworm med, only give advantage once every 3 months and never washed or care for Bigfoots ears in the past 14 months also never had the anal gland check or empty.

now that bigfoot's ear infection and anal gland are taken care of the smell seems to be better but not gone. maybe with better diet and alergies taken care of the smell will be gone.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Glad to hear all is fixable! Bigfoot is very lucky to have found a forever home with you who will care for him and give him the love deserves. Hat off to you for making this all happen!! :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just took Bigfoot to the vet and found a lot of problems with Bigfoot. First he has an ear infection, than alergy skin problem, and BRONCHITIS, finally his throat seems to be swollen. what a day.

It seems like the old owner never took care of bigfoot. i had a talk with the old owner and she told me that she never gave Bigfoot any heartworm med, only give advantage once every 3 months and never washed or took care of Bigfoots ears in the past 14 months also never had the anal gland check or empty.

now that bigfoot's ear infection and anal gland are taken care of the smell seems to be better but not gone. maybe with better diet and alergies taken care of the smell will be gone.

·
Registered
558 Posts
PRETTY DOG BIG FOOT IS, HE'S GOING TO LOVE YOU FOR TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE OF HIM...
THE EAR THING IS COMMON IN LABRADOODLES. I KNOW KELSEY WHO IS AN F1 ALSO LIKE BIGFOOT HAS A TENDENCY TO GET THE YEAST GROWING ALSO INSIDE HER EARS. I WASH THEM OUT ONCE A WEEK AND IF VERY RED THEN SHE NEEDS A TRIP TO THE VET FOR MEDICATION.
UNFORTUNATELY YOU HAVE TO STAY ON TOP OF CHECKING THEIR EARS OFTEN TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEAN & SMELL FRESH.
THE FOUL ODOR FROM THE EARS IS ENOUGH TO TELL ME SOMETHING IS UP.

ONCE HER EARS DIDN'T SMELL OR WERE RED BUT THE VET STILL SAID SHE HAD AN INFECTION.
WE FEED HER RAW FOOD , NO CORN AND SHE HAS OCCASIONAL FLARE UPS BUT I THINK THAT IS FROM ALL THE SWIMMING SHE DOES....
GOO DLUCK WITH THERAPY LIKE JAC SAID , THAT IS SUCH A GIFT THAT "BIG FOOT" & YOU CAN GIVE TO THE COMMUNITY..
DOES ANYONE HAVE A LIST OF THERAPY CLASSES NATION WIDE FOR THOSE INTERRESTED IN GETTING THEIR LABRADOODLES TRAINED & CERTIFIED...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"DOES ANYONE HAVE A LIST OF THERAPY CLASSES NATION WIDE FOR THOSE INTERRESTED IN GETTING THEIR LABRADOODLES TRAINED & CERTIFIED"

I would like to see that list, too!!!
8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my Australian Labradoodle and he has body odor too. I took him to the vet and they found a very small amount of yeast. He eats high quality food and I know his ears are in good condition now but he still smells. I would like to hear what others have done that worked to solve this (not due to sickness or gland problem).

·
Registered
924 Posts
My dog has had a few yeast infections in her ears but they never smelled. The only time she smelled is when her anal glands needed to be expressed. My vet doesn't check the anal glands unless I specifically ask. Have you given the puppy a good bath recently? When we first got out puppy she would get pretty smelly while she was potty training. We had to give her a bath almost once a week. Now that she is trained it's every 6 weeks at the groomer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had a lab (since passed away) who had chronic ear infections in his elder years. Once you smell that smell, you just don't forget it. We were never able to fully clear them up, it was pretty nasty. Our other lab never had the issue, and with our doodle, I am vigilant about clear ears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got my Australian Labradoodle and he has body odor too. I took him to the vet and they found a very small amount of yeast. He eats high quality food and I know his ears are in good condition now but he still smells. I would like to hear what others have done that worked to solve this (not due to sickness or gland problem).
I have found with the pure Lab I used to have and with my Doodle, that if I fed them food with lamb they really smelled bad. I now feed different food once I isolated the problem. The entire time I had the Lab I did not realize what the smell was. When I got the doodle he had been fed a different type of food and didn't have an odor. I switched him to food I had leftover when my Lab passed and the odor started. I did not only feed one type of lamb based food either, but usually went with a lamb and rice formula.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts