Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 Weeks ago I adopted a 15 month old male Labradoodle name Bigfoot and he has been a perfect man's best friend and I am very please with him. But there is one problem with Bigfoot and it’s that he gets overly excited, lunges and will bark wildly at other dogs when I walk him on a leash. I know Bigfoot is not an aggressive dog and he is perfect when he is off leash. Pls anyone have some tips on how to discourage this behavior.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm interested in the replies here :)

We have had Kirby for 2 weeks now. We just got him neutered last Thurs and will begin to bring him to the dog park very soon. Is it possible to take Bigfoot to a dog park or have some playtime with other dogs? We think Kirby is SO excited about the other dogs and is frustrated he cannot play with them. We want to show him there is an appropriate time and place for play. Hopefully this works for us :)

Besides that, read the string titled "leash walking". Others have similar problems and have suggested prong collars.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK here is something to try, it worked for me and some others I know.

STEP 1 you walk you dog gets excited...PULLS real hard. Say NO and stop! just stand there. (NOTE: try this alone with no other dogs ). what happens is each time your dog pulls ...walk ends cause you stop and ignore him.
if it keeps up, go back home and NO walk. and try again later in the day.

Took me 2 days with max on a regular nylon leash, and DAVE took 3 days. Once they realize to stop, WAIT is a good word to use. They learn WAIT means stand still and YOU go first/forward.

Once your dog realizes that pulling and overexcitement stops all fun, he/she will start to settle down.

Step 2: now try a store like petsmart, countrymax etc. Here it gets more interesting. Dog pulls(and/or jumps OR if using gentle leader a Quick upward tug and stop and make your dog sit/settle next to you. This is harderso many things to check out like toys, other dogs, people etc.
hahhahaha.
I didn't use a leader on max except in obedience training. as now i can mimic using a gentle leader and he reponds.
for now Max is good without a leader....Peanut is now in official training with me again as she has regressed bigtime :cry: (then again at 9mos most go thru a stage) :wink:

i also found making your doodle sit down next to you once or twice a day, for 10-15min doing a "sit/settle" ignoring everyone in the house, while petting them saying GOOD Settle....does help.

then again what works for one person and their doodle may not for another.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
STEP 1 you walk you dog gets excited...PULLS real hard. Say NO and stop! just stand there. (NOTE: try this alone with no other dogs ). what happens is each time your dog pulls ...walk ends cause you stop and ignore him.
if it keeps up, go back home and NO walk. and try again later in the day.
I used this tip from Annmarie for Denver, along with his gentle leader.
There were some days we never got to the school/park
which is where his playdates are.
The only different thing I did was as soon as he got ahead
of me I turned around and walked the other way. If he got ahead
again we walked the other way. This takes patience but with Colorado
I had to be consistent as when he pulls no one is gonna stop him.
Eventually he got it and he is so improved on the leash that I no longer
dread it. I can actually control him now, if he gets ahead he turns around looks at me and waits. The first time he did that I started to cry I was so
proud of him, and then he licked me to death as he did not know why
his Mom was crying??????????? It is so rewarding when they finally get something, or when as owners we finally train them right so they do get it.
Bahahahhhahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Toward the end of a 'good' walk. Excellent behaviour the whole time. I'll give Ebbe slack on the leash. She's allowed to walk ahead but when she starts to pull, I stop. She'll sit and look at me like "WHAT?" After a bit we'll resume the walk only I've tightened up on the leash and we're back to heel.

Like Sue said, lots and lots, of patience. Even when it's started to rain and you are almost home!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi - Yes we have the same problem here - Dante actually is very good on leash until we see another dog in a backyard and that other dog starts barking. Then he will bark and lunge - It's an excitement " I want to play" response and he is great at the dog park off leash with other dogs.

The key is to get his attention back. Several thing that are working for us -
1. We have the gentle leader harness although it does not prevent the barking / lunging.

2. I stop him just at the moment I start to lose him and get his attention back by issuing several training commands - sit, down, sit down, etc. At first this might be yards away from the distraction but gradually you can make it closer and closer to the distraction before you have to start this.

3. I place a really high value "stinky" treat in my hand. I reward him with my voice and treats the whole time we are passing the other yapping dogs as long as his attention stays on me and the bahavior is desirable.

4. I carry a small squirt bottle or can of pennies to use to distract him long enough to get his attention back on me.

I also like the stop and not go forward or turn around method that was mentioned earlier but it's not always practical when I have to get somewhere on time - like the bus stop.

So far these this has really helped us - we are working now not so much at ignoring the other dogs but on not barking at the school bus that swallows up his favorite playmate and then spits her back out every afternoon!

Heather

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we are working now not so much at ignoring the other dogs but on not barking at the school bus that swallows up his favorite playmate and then spits her back out every afternoon!
:)

So how exactly are you working to get him to not bark at the bus? Kirby barks at 1) our next door neighbors in the back yard 2) our across the street neighbors in the front yard 3) anyone walking past our house 4) any distant noise (horn, etc) :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So how exactly are you working to get him to not bark at the bus? Kirby barks at 1) our next door neighbors in the back yard 2) our across the street neighbors in the front yard 3) anyone walking past our house 4) any distant noise (horn, etc)
Ebbe ... All of the above....

....including the trash when set out for collection because you know how scary a garbage can can be :? Throw in a couple of woodland creatures (we have deer that aren't afraid of anything :shock: !) and BarkFest is in full swing on the back porch :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for Barking...i know this sounds so redundant. But the word HUSH does work

max only took 2 days when a young puppy....peanut finally got it!! :roll:

Today from home I had to talk to my lawyer ($$$ every minute), to my job, to my son's high school, even to California to a family friend helping with my lawsuit

Everytime I said HUSH MAX, and hold my finger up he stopped...people are surprised. I don't raise my voice, rather i say it sternly but in a regular voice. Max and Peanut also know the expression, "I really MEAN IT!"

OK to train the word "hush" when they are barking?

YES at 1st i used treats, they hush for let's say 5 to 10 seconds give a treat. and so on. After a couple of days, then i work towards just praise ONLY telling them how good they are. i also sometimes make them sit by me while i have to conduct business on the phone petting them or using my foot to rub their belly hahahhaaa (hey it works :wink: )

some doodles LIKE PEANUT take longer than 2 days but I have to work from my house at least one day a week and can't have dogs barking at
what i call "casper" all the time. When it's a friend i am talking to i guess i am more lenient as most of my friends have dogs and it's a fun not business call.

hope this works for someone other than me :D

PS my doodles dont' listen to Dave or my son when they say HUSH :shock: hahahhaa so doodles realize what BUTTONS they can press on what person inthe house :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dante is not too bad about barking at things while in the house and once I acknowledge what he is barking at ("Yes Dante I see the UPS truck making a delivery") he is good about stopping. It's just at the bus stop. He will bark when the bus shows up until he can physically see my daughter then he will sit quietly because he knows she will not pet him when she gets off the bus unless he is sitting like a gentleman. I really think it is mostly an excitement thing. So far I'm just working on trying to keep his attention on me when the bus rounds the bend- rattle a can of pennies to get his attention and the moment he looks at me I start with the verbal praise and the treats. It is slowly getting better.

Heather

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Oooooo Heather, I think that is so sweet - Dante is just soooo excited, he knows his sister is coming home. I know it is annoying, but you have to admit it is sweet :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bigfoot’s over excitement does not seems to be with lack of social contacts with other dogs because he goes to the dog park almost everyday for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and he gets 1 hour of walks each day. He heels and is able to walk off leash next to me if other dogs are not present. and if other dogs are on the street while Bigfoot is off leashed all he does is walk up to the dog and smell them.

A) so its like off leash = calm, no bark and with self control dog.
B) with leash = bark, seems aggressive and out of control dog

I use to use a gentle leader on Bigfoot but now I use a prong collar and both does not seems to help. I also try spray bottles and its somewhat helped. I will try spraying bottle to get his attention and use to treats to keep his attention and as a reward. Because of Bigfoot’s size and also his loud barks ppl thinks Bigfoot is an extremely aggressive dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a littel update. prong collar and spray bottle does not seems to work. the water spay does not seem to get the ladbradooldes' attention and the prong collar just seems to made him more excited. gentle leader head collar (use to make him feel safe and bark control) and a very low power e collar is my is what i may try next.

G

·
How do you keep your dogs from smelling the treats? I can put treats in a baggie in my pocket and Maya can still smell them and then we are not going anywhere cause all she tries to do is get the treats!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like the folks who bring treats to the Dog Park! Ebbe just goes right up and gooses them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts