Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the primary differences between a goldendoodle and a labradoodle?

we are a family of 4 with 2 small children, ages 2 and 4. in real life...what are the differences? we are looking at a mini labradoodle right now, but wanted ot know what some things to consider between the two might be...

thanks,
meredith

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Meredith, welcome!

Before I begin, I want to emphasize that what I am about to tell you regarding the differences between the two is totally subjective...based solely on what I have observed, looking at pictures and also through comparisons between my F1 Labradoodles and my F1 Goldendoodle. There are hundreds of thousands of the two breeds, and each one is different.

But...here are my observations: My F1 Labradoodles have been shedders...and they have coarser hair. My F1 Goldendoodle has silky soft hair (much like my Poodle did at the same age) and has not shed yet...although she is only about 3 months old, so it could happen ... and her coat could get coarser.

Most of the Goldendoodles I have seen are very curly, but my Rosie has straight hair...a thick, long coat, but with strait hair. My Labradoodles have wavy coats.

All dogs have their own personalities and temperaments, so comparing the breeds there is really not an accurate comparison. Both breeds have proven to be extremely smart and social. They are loving and loyal pets.

The main difference, that I can see, is in their appearances. Goldendoodles, from my perspective, have a nicer F1 coat. I think it is because the Golden already has long, soft hair.

But I honestly could not say which I prefer.

I suggest that you just keep reading the forums, researaching the breeds, looking at all of the pictures you can and then make you decision on what is best for you. Either choice you make will be a good one! You can't go wrong with a Dood!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi and welcome from my corner!

This might sound stupidly obvious, but the primary difference would be the difference between a Golden Retriever and a Labrador, ya know? Jac has done a good job with the coats and her observations. I have wondered if the Goldens having long hair, and the fine fur that mats and needs grooming like a poodle might have helped the F1's not shed so much, in general.

But I'm not being silly when I say this, because I think I would recommend you talk to breeders about their Labs and about their Goldens to try and learn the differences between what those 2 breeds bring to the hybrid.

Jacque has mentioned a network of breeders with quality, premium breeding practices including certain genetic screenings based on the genetic weaknesses of the breeds. This can help you learn about what might be a consideration on the health side of things, ya know? And it would give you an idea of the screenings you might want to know about.

Sorry, I can't remember that network's website, maybe you can PM or email Jac?

Is this too obvious to be helpful? Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hi! We have always been lab people which is why we chose an F1 labradoodle. I have no personal experience with goldens, but a friend of mine runs a hunt club and breeds sporting dogs. He recently told me that he won't even have goldens at his club because they are too difficult to work with. That is not consistent with what I've heard in the past, but I think it's a good idea to check with people that know the respective breeds.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

does anyone here have any goldendoodles? My Sheba is due to go in heat anytime, and a poodle-breeder friend has a nice golden, and she says he's a beautiful red color....I'd be welcome to breed Sheba to him for F1 g'doodles if I wanted to.

What do you all think? His parents have been tested and she'd x-ray his hips before they bred, of course. He's not 2 yet so CERF wouldn't be a factor yet.... I just wonder, would it be hard to sell g'doodles if I don't really know Goldens as a breed at this point? I could get to know this male, of course, if he's here, locally.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am just starting to raise Goldendoodles, my breeding stock is not old enough to breed yet but I just LOVE 'EM. I only have one female right now "Dora" but am getting my second Goldendoodle next weekend. Dora's coat is absolutely beautiful and doesn't shed (she's 8 mos old) and she has a very sweet disposition just like the Labradoodles. I am very excited to start breeding the Goldendoodles. Maureen, you just have to decide if you want to add another breed to your program. I think, like the Labradoodle, they will sell themselves. I'm a Doodleholic :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
wow, Di this is a great endorsement!

I'm thinking.... this male is a gorgeous red color, good hips...he'd be right here in Denver, which would be great for a relaxing breeding experience for my girl... hmmmmm.

anyone know what colors I could expect, with Sheba carrying brown, black and yellow/cream?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts