Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This is purely a theoretical question, as I plan to get Sadie spayed as soon as the vet will do it (6 months of age). But what would happen if you bred a labradoodle back to a lab? Is this ever done? Or is it always back to a poodle? I'm guessing you would risk losing the non-shedding qualities, but other than that, would there be much of a difference?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, Jannie.
I have never heard of crossing back to a Lab, probably for the reasons you mentioned. The whole point of adding Poodle (and other breeds, as done with multigens) to the Lab is to improve the coat...so if you go back to a Lab, you are moving closer to the Lab coat...and I guess that if shedding/allergies are not a problem, and you like Labs...you'd get a Lab...but I don't really know.
I think that, since the popularity of this breed is growing, you will see many experiments with breeding, but I worry about that a bit. Breeders are trying to get to some sort of standardization and the main complaint about Labradoodles (and their breeders) is that they are not using any standard, making it possible to just toss a couple of dogs together and sell them for a huge profit. We are trying hard to dispel that notion...so I think that most Labradoodle breeders would not like to see breeding back to a Lab...
This is just my opinion...I am sure that you will get others...but since you asked an honest question, I felt that I should give you an honest (at least from my perspective) answer.
Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions about breeding, and I'll try to help...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Jac

I was just curious to see if anyone bred labradoodles with labs. For example, Sadie is 3/4 poodle, so if she bred with a lab, the pups would be 1/2 and 1/2?

I do not intend to breed Sadie, although I get lots of people telling me I should (so they can have a puppy). I have no experience in breeding dogs so I'll leave that to the experts. My vet will not do the spay surgery until she is 6 months, so I will schedule it for closer to the end of April.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the "who" is me. My puppies are the product of an F1 labradoodle mom and a purebred lab dad.
The litter was very interesting to say the least. I picked 2 puppies that are the extremes of the litter. Fionna is yellow, slick and very much lab-like whereas Frenchie is soft, woolly,curly and the picture perfect labradoodle. One of their brothers is wiry,chocolate and has that adorable furry,whiskery face/muzzle. So, I guess ya can never tell!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gorgeous picture!

thanks for sharing - they are both beautiful, but very different

I wouldn't have guessed they were siblings

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, Angela, they are both simply adorable! I can't fault any mating that would produce such sweet puppies!
In fact, Fiona looks like one of the puppies from my F1B litter...the first litter...so you are right, you just never know!
Thanks for showing us...amazing!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh they are GORGEOUS!!!

They remind me a little of Doro's Bella and Nero (who are F1s... but Bella is very yellow lab blooking, and Nero is big and curly and black!)

Very cute pic... I can't believe they are from the same litter!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Folks are always in awe when they learn that my girls are actual sisters. Usually they see them, talk about how cute they are and ask what kinds of dogs they are. When I tell about the girls' parents the jaws drop! The great thing for us is there's something beautiful and unique about each of them.
Fionna with her black eyelids and golden lashes and Frenchie's silvering makes her look almost like she's glowing. They are soooo much fun and definitely wonderful additions to our family. 3 boys, 3 dogs, 2 parents and a whole lotta love!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the "who" is me. My puppies are the product of an F1 labradoodle mom and a purebred lab dad.
The litter was very interesting to say the least. I picked 2 puppies that are the extremes of the litter. Fionna is yellow, slick and very much lab-like whereas Frenchie is soft, woolly,curly and the picture perfect labradoodle. One of their brothers is wiry,chocolate and has that adorable furry,whiskery face/muzzle. So, I guess ya can never tell!
We have a lab + labradoodle mix. She is the sweetest girl ever! She looks very much like a lab. Just wondering but what is the shedding like with your dogs now that they are adults?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a three month old puppy who is 1/4 poodle and 3/4 lab. He’s the runt of the litter and had the most lab face. His litter mates had a more classic labradoodle face. He is 12 weeks here
Dog Carnivore Grass Plant Fawn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts