Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope I can get some reasonable/informed advice. I have been researching labradoodles and whether or not they are good for being left home alone during a work day. First let me say I would provide training, stimulating toys and access to outside. I read on many sites they are great to be left alone and have no separation anxiety. I read on many sites they are terrible when left alone and have massive separation anxiety. So which is it? I know no 2 dogs are they same and no 2 owners are they same. But it cannot be both extremes. I read these forums and there is a lot of huff and puff about you shouldn't ever leave dogs for 8 hrs. Well I live in the real world.
So I am asking for advice and I truly appreciate all your opinions. TY

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes, it's necessary to keep two dogs separate from each other when you're not around, whether due to aggression, temperament incompatibility, or if they "encourage" each other to engage in destructive behavior they otherwise wouldn't do individually. In most cases, “getting another dog is the right thing to do. Dogs in isolation are not happy.” Even if you are home with your dog much of the day, a second dog in the family might very well be the right choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all, I hope I can get some reasonable/informed advice. I have been researching labradoodles and whether or not they are good for being left home alone during a work day. First let me say I would provide training, stimulating toys and access to outside. I read on many sites they are great to be left alone and have no separation anxiety. I read on many sites they are terrible when left alone and have massive separation anxiety. So which is it? I know no 2 dogs are they same and no 2 owners are they same. But it cannot be both extremes. I read these forums and there is a lot of huff and puff about you shouldn't ever leave dogs for 8 hrs. Well I live in the real world.
So I am asking for advice and I truly appreciate all your opinions. TY
I believe it's a case-to-case basis because we are having different experiences and one may be different from another. So in your case just follow your instinct and let's see what happens next.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does your dog get nervous when they see you getting ready to leave the house? Do they go bonkers with joy when you come home? Did they destroy your shoes, claw the door, or chew the corner off an end table while you were gone? Maybe, your dog could have separation anxiety.
Separation anxiety happens when a dog that’s hyper-attached to its owner gets super-stressed when left alone. It's more than a little whining when you leave or a bit of mischief while you’re out. It's a serious condition and one of the main reasons owners get frustrated with their dogs and give them up. But there are plenty of things you can do to help, talk to your vet regarding the matter to properly addressed the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I let them stay in one place with other breeds but at first, I kept them separated from each other but they eventually did not fight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts