Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! I have a question, my labradoodle often looks for a wall or some flat vertical surface to sleep against. He's about 18 inches high and 25 inchees long and likes to lean his back against the wall while sleeping. Could it be that he's looking for back support??

Sometimes he would twist his body into funny positions while he sleeps, is he uncomfortable? Should I get him a special bed? If so, what kind would be best??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ah, yes, the famous doodle sleeping positions! :lol:

My doodle likes to sleep against the wall (maybe it's a security thing). He also likes to sleep sitting up/leaning against the couch cushions!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ha! Sadie was sleeping in her crate yesterday on her back with all four paws straight up in the air. I tried to get a pic. but she woke up as soon as she heard me coming.
I think all dogs automatically like to sleep against a wall...at least that's what one of the crate training articles said.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky didn't even have a bed until he got one for Christmas. It's just a rectangular pillow type. Nothing fancy.

When he was a few months old I got him a big cushy dog pillow. That didn't last a week! He ate a hole in the corner and started pulling out and eating the polyester fiberfill stuffing. I had to take it away from him.

During the warmer months Nicky's favorite place to sleep was on the hardwood floor in the hall near the garage door. The wall there is grimy from him leaning his body against it while he slept. I don't think he was looking for back support; it was just a comfortable way to sleep.

There are lots of photos on this forum of doodles sleeping in positions we might think as uncomfortable. They're just being Doodles!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Not only doodles but i have seen many dogs lie against something when sleeping and/or legs up in the air
the other one that gets me is when they sleep with their head hanging almost off a bed hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
523 Posts
the other one that gets me is when they sleep with their head hanging almost off a bed
Ha ha ha Annmarie! Boyd did that yesterday morning and fell off the bed!! It was adorable!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon will sleep on her bed in the winter, but in the summer months, it's on the tile floor in the kitchen.

I think they like to sleep against the wall because it's security. Nothing will sneak up on them from that side. Sometimes it looks like she's broken her back they way she sleeps - she'll twist around corners. Hey, if she's comfy, why not?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...i love the silly positions they sleep in. We've seen:

1) on the back - legs up in the air
2) on the side all legs stretched fully out
3) head on a nylabone or something else really uncomfortable
4) head hanging off the sofa
5) Last week Dex wanted to come up in bed with us but didn't make it all the way...I caught him basically sleeping with his front legs on the bed and his back ones off :) I made him get back down on his doggy bed.

We laugh at least once per night a some silly sleeping position one or both are in :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What's all the Hubub about? Sheesh!...dr spike katz
[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, mtd889!! That photo's hilarious!!

Haha! Thanks Everybody for all the feedback, doodles are so adorable.
I was just wondering if it could be back thing.

Mine loves to sleep on tile floor surfaces, his fur is so thick!
We tried giving him towels and pillows and he just throws them aside to the corner. He just loves the cold!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver sleeps in all those poses too
Many times he falls asleep with head and front legs on bed
and back legs on floor, just like Dex

How you doing Mr. Katz???????????????

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette doesn't seem to care about walls, but she loves to find something of ours to use as a pillow. If Granddaughter is here after school Chou adores her bookbag, although once she disgraced herself by thoughtfully chewing on the corner of GD's social studies workbook.

She also loves our slippers; DH and I both have the kind that's tan on the outside and has lambswool on the inside, and Chouette curls right up and puts her head on them whenever she gets a chance. She also likes to sleep on newspapers and magazines. If I put them on the floor after I'm finished reading them she'll flop on them and in the process scatter them all over.

Lesle

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Lora said:
the other one that gets me is when they sleep with their head hanging almost off a bed
Ha ha ha Annmarie! Boyd did that yesterday morning and fell off the bed!! It was adorable!! :lol:
Charlie sleeps on the leather ottoman of my chair with his head hanging over the edge. He head must be pretty heavy because he often slides right over onto the floor. :p

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aw.....Sam looks like Bogie....lol
Most of my dogs have found walls or corners. They like that! I don't think that it indicates a back problem...........just maybe a nesting thing??

That CAT is sooooo cool!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
WL said:
Hi!! I have a question, my labradoodle often looks for a wall or some flat vertical surface to sleep against. He's about 18 inches high and 25 inchees long and likes to lean his back against the wall while sleeping. Could it be that he's looking for back support??

Sometimes he would twist his body into funny positions while he sleeps, is he uncomfortable? Should I get him a special bed? If so, what kind would be best??
Hi and Welcome !!

Hope you post some pics of your doodle.

I've always had a bed(s) for my dogs just so they have something soft and cushy if they want it. many times they choose the floor but the bed(s) do get used.

At night AB sleeps on the bed 99% of the time, once in a while she will wander down the hall and lay on her bed on the floor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts