Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my Labradoodle Buddy has cancer, he is only 16 months old. Is this common? I am just floored with this does anyone else have a similar situation? and is there hope for a long life if removed?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh no! I am sooooo sorry. Such horrifying news. :cry:
I wish that I had words to comfort, words to soothe...but none are sufficient at a time like this. All I can offer is my sincere sympathy and sadness for you and my prayers that Buddy will fully recover, soon.

As far as your question, I am not aware of Labradoodles being any more at risk for cancer than any other species...it is a horrible disease, striking randomly, and devastating the loved ones of those stricken.

I have been blessed not to have an experience in this, so I am not able to say what is likely...if you feel like sharing more details, perhaps one of the regulars on this forum (many are in the health field) will be able to give you more answers.

Have you notified your breeder? I believe that they would like to know. I don't believe that cancer is a genetic disease, so the health warranty probably won't cover this, but your breeder can be a great comfort to you if he/she is a compassionate individual. He/she will share your concern and fears...and sometimes that is a little bit of help.

Bless you, and bless little Buddy. :cry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your sympathy, we found out it is Bone cancer and we will try to comfort him as much as we can in his remaining time with us.
I have ordered a product called K-9 Immunity from Aloha Medicinals Inc. they claim it can help the immune system create good cells, I know it may be a long shot but, I figure it is worth the try. Has any one ever tried this stuff out there or heard of it??

G

·
I'm so very sorry to hear about the bone cancer - where is it? How did you know something was wrong? Our almost 10-year old Lab Patty had bone cancer in her tail when she was about the same age as Buddy. They ended up removing the cancer by amputating her tail a few inches above the tumor & apparently got it all because she's still with us 9 years after the surgery & in good general health & spirits - she just doesn't have a tail to wag to let us know she's happy -- she wiggles her whole backend instead! In fact, sometimes she'll lose her balance & almost knock herself over when she's super excited!
Hope your sweetie's cancer is treatable also. Our vet, who also was a pathology professor at Tufts Veterinary School, says that Labs are prone certain kinds of bone cancer. Patty had the Chrondro-sarcoma type of cancer.
We'll keep him (&you) in our prayers.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Buddy's cancer but maybe Pattydaisy's experience will be of comfort to you. I hope that this is the case with little Buddy. I have never had to face anything like this so I can just send prayers your way and hope that Buddy can come thru this. I've never heard of the K-9 Immunity but it is sure worth a try :!: Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cnacer

I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis! These things do strike most unexpectedly, but many times they seem to be treatable. I know that you will do what is best for Buddy, but rest assured that your friends here are thinking of you and Buddy...You are in our prayers!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Keep you spirits high

As you know your dog's energy will mirror yours, so try to be cheerful for him in an effort to have positive endorphins released in Buddy's brain. It seems like attitude goes a long way in terms of recovery. On a positive note, the doctors gave my husband 4 months to live 9 years ago. I guess my point is, with the right medical practitioner anything is possible! My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Buddy's condition. Definitely keep positive energy going. Buddy will feel what you feel, and his brain need to be kept on the positive side. How did you notice this, and where is the bone cancer? So sorry to hear, but keep positive. We are all praying for you and Buddy..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am so VERY sorry to hear about Buddy! PLEASE know that you and Buddy are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I wish there was something that I coulod do to make it better for you guys. Please keep us posted on his condition.

Hugs to Buddy!

Susie and Abbie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the kind words, they are very comforting. I will keep everyone up to date with how he is doing as of now, he is still having fun and chasing the ball around.
[/img]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Please know that they are sincere. Buddy is in our prayers! Glad to hear that he is playing ball!!! :D IS his picture on the site?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It took me quite some time to get Abbie's photo up.....when in photo section, click on upload file....I think that there are some directions there. I eventually figured it out!! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
That happened to me a bunch of times too! I think that means that your image is too big. Look on that picture site and see if there is something that says image resizer??

1 - 20 of 219 Posts