Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I am considering getting a labradoodle... I have done some reasearch and it seems like a dog that would fit my lifestyle! My only concern is that I have a 5 lb. Maltese (she is a year and full grown) and I worry about her getting hurt??? She is crate trained and I would crate train the labradoodle also... Does anyone have any insight???? :D vThank You!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello, we took our labradoodle to puppy classes there was a Maltese in the class, the trainer would not allow the other dogs off the lead with her, there was a springer spanial, my labradoodle and a staffy bull terrier, she said they would hurt her not by being nasty but weight, I would think again.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a four pound poodle. He came first.

The came the lab he is 100+ pounds

Then the labradoodle he is 66 pounds

then the poodle, then the labradoodle ..... you get the point!

The four pounder rules! He taught THEM how to play with him. Its so cute to watch!!

I think temperment is of the utmost importance and perhaps it would be wise to get a puppy that has been socialized with a small dog or cat or both :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that if you select a good Labradoodle (it is important to find a breeder who can tell you about the dogs...their temperaments and their background) then you will do fine.

Keep an eye on them as they play and don't let the play get out of hand.

Our large dogs (65-70lbs each) play so gently with the puppies...it is amazing to watch. They never bite or get too rough with the puppies...still, it IS possible that a larger dog can accidentally step on or run into a smaller one...although it is rare.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a 7 lb. toy poodle who is 7 years old and a 9 month old labradoodle. I have had a bit of trouble with the two of them, but, I'm trying to work it out. Most of the time they can be in the same room together just fine but sometimes Doc (the LD) wants to play with her and is too big and rough for her. She's afraid of him. I put a gate across my bedroom door and raised it up off the ground enough for Sarah (toy poodle) to get under and get away from Doc when she needs to. I have also taught Doc to "leave it" but it has taken alot of time and it is just now getting pretty reliable. I think their may be some jealousy there too because Sarah is allowed on the furniture and Doc isn't. To me, there's a big difference between a little dog getting on the furniture and my lap and a 70+ pound dog getting on the furniture. I have heard that the dominant dogs go to a higher position, so, I think Doc does not like Sarah being higher than him, plus he thinks if she can get up there, he should be able to also. He does try to dominate more than any other dog I've had. I've also heard you should treat your dogs exactly the same so allowing one on the furniture and not the other is a problem, I think. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that right now. The rest of my family does NOT want Doc on the furniture, but, I don't want to make little tiny Sarah not be allowed on the furniture and on my lap. What to do, what to do! :? I think if I had it to do over again, I would try to get a LD that had a more submissive temperament. I think that would make alot of things easier. I'm sure if you told the breeder that you wanted a submissive puppy, they could match you up with one. Some dogs are just born more submissive than others. I used to have a Standard Poodle and a Bichon Frise along with the toy poodle and they all got along with no problems at all, but, they were older than the toy poodle and have since gone to "doggy heaven". So, that is just my experience and I think it can be done.

Also, I've just started taking them on walks together to try to get them to see each other as being in the same "pack". They don't sleep in the same room and Sarah does spend quite a bit of time in my bedroom away from Doc so, I'm not sure they see each other as being in a pack together. (I've learned alot of these things from watching Cesar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic channel.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey desiree, good question! And as usual, you've gotten some good insight from others.

I agree with Jac's basic suggestions - if you go with a breeder who really knows their puppies you could choose one that is fairly mellow, your Maltese should be fine. In fact, a breeder-friend's sister had a fairly spirited, intact male f1 and a (nasty-tempered) Maltese, and there was no trouble. I think the Maltese made sure of that! :wink:

Keep us posted on which way you go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your insight!!! :D I will be sure to let you know what happens and how it all fairs!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would just like to stress again that you ask for a submissive puppy.
Doc is very mellow but he tends to be more independent and dominant rather than submissive. When he gets something in his head that he wants that is not something that I want him to do or have, he doesn't back down very easily and takes alot of firmness and consistency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a six pound Maltsee, Fluffy. Last year, when she was 4 yrs old, I brought home Charlie my doodle. He of course loved her, but she wasn't too sure about him.....he is now 69 pounds (hopefully full grown at 1 yr old) and she totally runs him and is the boss. It is hilarious to watch this little ball of Fluff boss him around. He plays so sweet with her -- he can get a little wild, but she is quick to put him in his place and she will chase him all over the house.....they "wrestle" sometimes......it is so cute -- he is defintely submissive to her (as well as all other dogs we encounter) -- he is just a big loving goof ball. I would have no worries getting a doodle with a small dog as long as they are introduced when puppies. He also lets my friends tiny chihuahuas run all over him.....he is a gentle giant -- just can't say enough about how wonderful this dog is....Mr. Personality.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When you mentioned this I recalled how well my big dogs play with our puppies. It amazes me that we can take 5 large dogs (ranging from 45-70 lbs each) and put them in the yard to run wild with 9 energetic 12 lb puppies nipping and following them everywhere they go!
The adult dogs, dip and bow and play with the pups and never get after them. The pups are especially fond of Nitos, their 10 month old brother...and nitos, an intact male mind you, LOVES to play with the puppies. He lies down and lets them climb all over him and when he has had enough, he just gets up and bounds away, gracefully jumping over the little furballs following in his wake!
These are truly amazing dogs.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI desiree...first of all what kind of personality is your Maltese?
timid, shy, dominant, laid back and/or submissive etc.

A Submissive Doodle is probably better for you and the maltese.

Max is submissive and it's funny to see my daughter's 4lb kitten RULE the Roost when they get together hahahhaaa That darn kitten is BOSS and Max listens!
He is with a 12yr old Cairn terrier sometimes she's approx 10lbs...and SHE rules the Roost...with Max obeying here nicely hahahhaa

Max is 6 1/2 mos old...55lbs and full of himself but due to his submissiveness personality he is really good with other dogs even small ones.
As Jac mentioned...talk with the breeder so you can get the right fitting puppy for your family and maltese.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a very over-indulged Maltese princess and an 82 lb doodle. Our little princess is the boss! She hates Toby (the doodle) so we just don't give them any alone time- plus Toby has to lie down on Mia-Sophia's level so as not to intimidate (HA!) her. It would be a real stretch to say that they get along.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts