Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO ALL EXPERIENCED BREEDERS<
We experieenced something different last night.
Kelsey had started going in to labor with the signs temp 99.5 down from 99.9 100.3, 100.8/ panting/ restlessness/ getting into the whelping box at 930pm with her and staying with her. She got up a few times and went outside to do her business then came in and laid back down. At 1am she fell asleep and the panting stopped . Obvious to Tom & I that her labor had stopped. The room was darkened, small light on in the corner, it was quiet, so I know she wan't nervous but...
HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANY OF THE BREEDERS OUT THERE???
In the past once in labor that was it, she would continue and then start to push after about 3 hours, and things would progress well. her due date was yesterday the 20th.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yes this happens to one of my breeders dogs sometimes
or
she'll have the 1st few pups or so and then sometimes can stop for 5hours before the next set comes....and once the last pup took 6 hours

also for my breeder
for one of her dogs----the sure sign is dog stops eating and then has a small bout of diarrhea ...labor then will follow

Please give me an update
was the due date determined by sonagram? just curious
but like us, if it doesn't start soon i'd call the vet to make sure

also if anything stresses them out they can prolong the labor at times.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes no worries,,happens all the time,,that is pre labor
when in active labor she will strain to push, if she does this for too long then get worried, normally when this begins a pup is produced within 30min ,,,dont stress around her, leave her alone,,check in on her often, once temp drops to around 98 (dogs differ) you will likly start within 24hrs
dont get in with her unless she needs you, this will get her mind off of the job ahead of her, when pushing then yes be there to help
panting is just the beginning, pups are getting in the birth canal to begin coming
now one note,,, check temp, if goes up get to vet
call vet and put on alert today, you should have pups soon
how many days from breeding date?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses & reassurance . To answer your ?
Kesley was due on 1/20..yesterday, exactly 63 DAYS FROM HER AND KOZMO first "tryst". No sonogram, but did have Xrays done last week. 12 pups were counted but she said a possible 13 or 14 could be in their also....AI-EE-VAY..
I was just nervous, because in the past she has always started her labors and proceeded with delivery of the puppies...Thank you soo much for your answers...
I will keep a close eye on her...hopefully tonight....
I will post back again...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow 13 or 14 pups!! please keep us posted

my breeder's dog is due any day here too and OMG she is getting huge much bigger than last time....last little she had 12

can't wait to hear the good news!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hey, BEST WISHES!!!
I'll email you....... I would probably be bringing her in to the vet or at least talking to them. NOT because she's late, but because I've never had one start to show real labor and then stop. If you had pitocin on hand I would have suggested a 1cc shot sub-q. But I'm no vet and you are there....
Hope you get beautiful babies soon!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
WOW NICE big litter!
Good luck and keep us posted. You know we'd all love to be there with you and see those little buggers when they're born.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Any news yet? Have I missed a post?
I've been thinking about you! Prayers that all is going wonderfully and your big litter is in great condition.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WE ARE PROUD TO SAY THAT Kelsey finally started her Labor on Tuesday at 9pm and had her first at 12:54 and then proceded to have 12 more every hour thereafter...so 13 healthy babes in all...THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR PRAYERS...3 were close calls requiring a few magic tricks to get them kick started into breathing, no casualties though...

Thank you to all who emailed and wrote something of support. and for those who prayed for us because those prayers were answered with the presence of 13 healthy puppies.. 5 males 8 females .

This time we had more cream colored females, 2 of which look apricot but they will probably turn to a lighter shade like their mom and One brindle boy , we named him Rufus the 2nd...haa haa
max and me good luck with your upcoming litter..let us knowhow it turns out ofr you..We will be thinkingof you...
Off to see and watch and stare and possibly supplement some and offer Keley something to eat , drink, give a big masssage and kiss her...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa Martha!!!! congrats!!
and wow that's a great litter 8 females and 5 males
can't wait to see pics.

i am on call today for my breeder hahhaaa though her dog usually
starts in early morning hours like 4am...sooooo we're waiting

WOW you have a brindle too and soooo happy to hear the close
calls ended up with great success :D

martha....can i call you granny now :wink: :D

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Congratulations! Wow, that's a big litter! Glad they all came through okay. Can't wait to see pictures. :D

Keep us posted Annmarie! We never tire of birth announcements!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
blueteal said:
Congrats on the new family Martha...............
Sheesh THIRTEEN--That Dog packs some Whollop! Poor girl must be tired :shock: Congrats :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts