Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, Gunner likes his kong, but he can't get out the kong cookie things. What do you put in your Kong?

He has the large blue puppy kong; what is the difference between this one and the other kongs? Will he out grow this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota has the large red and white kong. I don't know the differences except the black kongs are supposed to be more indestructable. I usually block the bottom hole with peanut butter and fill the kong with chicken broth and a small amount of shredded chicken and then freeze it. Dakota loves it! . . . in fact, I'll go do that right now!
Diane

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sadie has the red kong. I fill it with peanut butter and either kibble or broken bits of dog biscuits. I've heard of cheez whiz as well, but haven't tried that myself. I think the peanut butter has less preservatives in it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am not much help, as my dogs have never cared for Kongs...but I did see (at my vet's office) a little pamphlet from Kong and it had all sorts of recipies and things for the use of Kongs...maybe they have it on their web page?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a Kong for Dora a few days ago. She loves hers! She plays with it or tries to get the treat out of it for almost 20 minutes at a time! I never thought about freezing water or putting other stuff in it. What great ideas!! I did find their web site and they have some recipes on it. Sound pretty intresting. I don't know about some of the things (stomach upset) but some are neat!
http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html
Beth and Dora

·
Registered
269 Posts
here are some that we used to give to to Sammy before her allergy issues (we now just use canned allergy food to freeze in there)

I usually used a PB plug in the bottom (low sodium and sugar PB- like SImply jiff... or they also make all natural)

* Plain Yogurt
* Chopped carrots and apples tossed in a little bit of lowfat cream cheese just enough to coat it
*Kibble mixed in with yogurt or pb
*Green beans can also be mixed in

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I think of Kong's kind of like I think of pull-up diapers - I heard of them after our kids and our dogs were babies! :wink: So forgive me if I have a dumb question for you all: if you plug the end of the Kong with peanut butter, does it ever stain your carpet? Or is this an in-crate treat? I expect we'll be keeping a puppy from one of our litters sometime in the near future so I want to learn about these Kong's! :D
thanks,
~M

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Maureen

Yes, the peanut butter will stain the carpet. Best to keep them on cleanable flooring, in the crate, or outdoors.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We usually only give the kongs while shes in her crate, and she usually cannot clean it out completely... the bottom is tough to get to so sometimes the entire PB plug is still intact. I always rinse the kong when we shes done or when we return home. For Sammy it gives her something to concentrate on when we leave her crated and have to go out for a couple hours... we have found that if we dont use it she tends to get herself worked up and we can see a difference in her demeanor when we return home. Like I said before, now that we think she might have allergy issues we are just using some canned dogfood frozen into the kongs.

oh also*** the yogurt should be frozen for sure and the other stuff though it doesn HAVE to be frozen since its somewhat thick on its own, the more frozen the longer they last!!! ***

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I use "Alpo" brand dog treats, the kind that are square. They will fit into a red kong if you squeeze the bottom flat. If I coat the snacks with peanut butter, Cinnamon will work on it for a longer period of time. She has learned that after the peanut butter is gone, she can bounce the kong on the tile floor and the snacks will break and come out, but she has to work at it, which is the whole idea of the kong!
The red kong I have has a hole in both ends, so anything liquid freezing is out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts