Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I am so glad I have found this forum before we get our pup. I had NO IDEA that there were so many things to consider and decide on!!

When we had dogs growing up, we fed them canned and dry. The all lived long and happy lives.

But I also remember my mom feeding our hunting dog the leftovers from our dinner; meat and veggies and bread.

Now, with our own new pup, we want to do what is best for her and our family. So, I was hoping someone out there could send me some (not too complicated) sites about feeding our future Labradoodle. Someone mentioned measuring it out and balancing it properly. Let me say that I have two small kids and I can barely get a balanced meal for them each night. LOL!! It sounds like some of the diets are complicated, time consuming and very expensive.

Can anyone break it down for me in fairly simple terms?

Why raw? Where do I buy it and what does it cost? BARF? What is that? Where to buy bones and which kind? Why do some of you all feed veggies and some never do? Small, compact poops sound GREAT to me cause the thought of regular diarrhea makes me very wary!!!

Next comes ear stuff. What exactly are the issues? What is this powder stuff people are talking about? Mites? Foxtails? Gracious!!

I guess what I am asking is whether it is as complicated as the threads can make it seem. Please help!!

As a side note, I just went to the BARF website and quite frankly, I know why they call it BARF.....beef offal? Unbleached tripe? Will I barf when I take it out of the package? LOL!! Just teasing. Please don't anyone take that last part too seriously, I just thought it was funny.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Absolutely! That is one of the things about any forum...it allows people with issues to discuss them as well as people who just love the subject to connect with others who do to.

I guess feeding was something I just had not thought a lot about. But this is why I am so interested. I usually research something to death and I was hoping to have this issue boiled down into more manageable bite sized pieces.

I am so glad I found this site!!!

:D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi! The best site I know of for figuring out dog food is:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
They rate canned & kibble there. Some of our doodles have allergy issues or senstitive stomaches so it's not easy to know exactly what to feed. Trial and error in my case.

I feel Sadie raw for one meal and kibble for another but quite frankly (this is MY opinion only)...with small kids and the dog licking them and stuff...I wouldn't do raw.

There are also things that can be added to food if needed (pumpkin, yogurt), depending on if your puppy is having some sort of problem or as a preventative.

When Sadie had ear problems I made up a batch of "blue ear wash". It would be very worth it for you to have this on hand before you get your puppy. It's a little costly but you only use a little as needed and it's way cheaper than one ear infection at the vet! The site I used for that is:
http://www.mariebennett.com/blueear/

Those two places will give you plenty of reading. A lot of things you'll get as you go along. When we first picked Sadie up we had NOTHING for a puppy. It all happened so fast. You're already a step ahead!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHA!! That is why I love this site again!!

I had not considered the raw issue and my kids! That is a really good point. They get in the face of our cocker and she is 14 and could care less. But a puppy is going to be licking their faces, for sure.

Hmmmm.. food for thought...Literally!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Get out your icecube tray and make some pumpkin/yogurt
cubes for the "runny times"...............
We feed Denver Canidae with cooked chicken and green beans.
I have a bowl of chicken always cooked and ready in the fridge.
I also use "Lean Cuts" canned food to mix in for variety........
This dog of ours eats better than we do ...................bhahahhaaa

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
This dog of ours eats better than we do ...................bhahahhaaa
don't MOST doodles hahhaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
35 Posts
The whole food issue can be overwhelming! I wanted to do a raw diet but it seemed like a lot of work and I live on McDonalds salads and Lean Cuisine.
I started my new dood and my Frenchie on Sojos European style dog food mix two weeks ago and so far I am thrilled. It's basically whole grains, kelp and calcium carbonate and you mix it with raw or slightly cooked meat (I use ground chuck or whatever). I mix it all up in a big tupperware bowl every 3-4 days. It looks a lot like meatloaf. The dogs love it! I can't comment on Joffy the Doodle because I basically started him on it, but the difference in my Frenchie has been impressive. Her chronic skin allergies are clearing up, her coat has a soft luster, and her doggie odor (bulldogs being a very stinky breed :0) is gone.
I'm getting creative now and adding some veggies and yogurt and left overs. My husband manages a restaurant so he brings home leftovers, too. ( He used to do that for me, hence the salads and Lean Cuisine. Got a bit tubby). :lol:
Good luck with your new Doodle!

·
Registered
576 Posts
DotPoppins said:
The whole food issue can be overwhelming! I wanted to do a raw diet but it seemed like a lot of work and I live on McDonalds salads and Lean Cuisine.
I started my new dood and my Frenchie on Sojos European style dog food mix two weeks ago and so far I am thrilled. It's basically whole grains, kelp and calcium carbonate and you mix it with raw or slightly cooked meat (I use ground chuck or whatever). I mix it all up in a big tupperware bowl every 3-4 days. It looks a lot like meatloaf. The dogs love it! I can't comment on Joffy the Doodle because I basically started him on it, but the difference in my Frenchie has been impressive. Her chronic skin allergies are clearing up, her coat has a soft luster, and her doggie odor (bulldogs being a very stinky breed :0) is gone.
I'm getting creative now and adding some veggies and yogurt and left overs. My husband manages a restaurant so he brings home leftovers, too. ( He used to do that for me, hence the salads and Lean Cuisine. Got a bit tubby). :lol:
Good luck with your new Doodle!
HI there! I live in Noblesville! Where so you get the Sojos? Pet Supply Plus or somewhere else?? I was just in Cicero today. I can't believe we're just one town away!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Julie!
I get the Sojo's at Pet Supplies Plus in Noblesville. They have an awesome food selection. I have to do the "triple"- Pet Supplies Plus for food, Pet Smart for toys, and Tractor Supply for horse stuff. If I have any money left, I buy groceries. :lol:
Cicero's an interesting little town, we just moved here last summer. Were you up for the lake?

·
Registered
576 Posts
DotPoppins said:
Hi Julie!
I get the Sojo's at Pet Supplies Plus in Noblesville. They have an awesome food selection. I have to do the "triple"- Pet Supplies Plus for food, Pet Smart for toys, and Tractor Supply for horse stuff. If I have any money left, I buy groceries. :lol:
Cicero's an interesting little town, we just moved here last summer. Were you up for the lake?
No, but I do think the lake is cool! Where did you move from? We just moved here from Pennsylvania less than two years ago.
I do the triple too only mine is Pet Supply Plus, Petsmart, and Wal-mart :wink:
I get Sadie's food at PSP or online. I get most of her toys at Petsmart and I shop for us at Wal-mart :roll:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Some days when Lincoln wants to eat he really enjoys the Sojos. We get teh Europa one. We are able to purchase it from our local herbalist. I am also going to buy the dogs a supplement called "Barking Botanicals" doggie greens which contains alfalfa and other great herbal mixes. We are also going to try the blue ridge beef raw brand.

Michele

·
Registered
35 Posts
A friend gave me a sample of the Europa and I mixed it in with the regular Sojos. It's just so pricey!
I'll look up the Blue Ridge brand- I haven't heard of that-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts