Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! It's been a while since I posted here but I had been reading your post often. I am note sure if you remember Kenya, but she will have her puppies this week! :D My husband and I are so excited-so are the kids...

I have decided to try building a website since I am starting and this is my first litter. My situation is pretty much like mountain creek labradoodles'owner-I still have to have Kenya's hip tested after she is done lactating. In the meantime I am offering a health guarantee.

I am not a computer savvy and realized now how complicated it is to promote my website.

For those of you who promoted your new website to popular search engines-how long before did it get accepted? And if you get a chance to go to my website-your feedback on how you think it looks will be greatly appreciated.

I hope you all Have a Wonderful New Year!!

Thank you,
Mhyles :lol:
www.coloradomountainlabradoodles.com

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I went and looked at your site you did a nice job on it. You may have to advertise on some of the sites you pay for to help you with your first litter. It might hurt you some that you did not have her hips done before breeding her, is the Stud tested at all? Were any of their parents tested also? A lot of people will ask you this so you might want to find out if you don't know yet, just some advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for your reply to my post. I was not able to reply to it accordingly because I had puppies today! :D I attended to Kenya from 7:00 A.M(first puppy) until 5:00 P.M (last puppy). She had twelve puppies-more than we anticipated!!! They are all healthy and she was very good-she pretty much did most of the work. Since it's both our first time-I paid a lot of attention. And now I am so tired-I only ate once today-it's crazy I was more nervous than her I think!

About the tests-none of them were tested and I have a shortcoming on that area which is very important. I have no excuses and I definitely will have Kenya's hip tested as soon as she can be.

I have learned a lot from this forum and I am thankful for all of you who are always willig to give advices.

Thank you,
Mhyles

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hardly had sleep the past couple of nights-making sure everyone's doing good. Kenya is doing very well and is very caring with her puppies. We make sure she eats plenty and comfortable (who will be with 12 pups!! :? )

Not looking forward for the poop-but sure will test everyone down here :D

Thank you for visiting our website and for your honest feedbacks-they are all appreciated.

Mhyles :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
two thoughts here:

some breeders never allow them because of parvo risks.

those that do are adamant about the buyers not puppy shopping, in other words you are the only house they go to to look at puppies that day.
most breeders that allow visitors I would say after 4 - 5 weeks is average for a beginning. I would strongly suggest lots of pictures to prospective buyers.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Congratulations :) What I want to know is how did you get so lucky to have a litter during the day :?: :D :D

I do allow visitors after 4 wks but I take precautions. I also understand why some breeders don't allow visitors. You just have to decide what works for you.

Good luck with all those gorgeous puppies :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Also some never allow the peolpe to handle the pups if they are very young. When you do allow visitors tell them not to stop any where before they get to your place. No rest stops, like movistar said no other breeders, no pet stores.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes...my husband's ex who also owned a labradoodle told me she once adopted a puppy who got parvo and it was sad.

I will definitely be careful-I am already paranoid-I sleep by the whelping pen and when I hear the puppy I am right there!!!

Also, my reference book said that the mom will still have some bloody mess after birth but it does not mention for how long. How long is normal in you experience? I stil find some blood on the whelping blanket from Kenya and I want to make sure it's normal.

Thank you all. :D

Have a nice Friday,
Mhyles

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You will see discharge for up to 10 days after delivery. Do you know if she passed all the afterbirth after each puppy? This is something you want to be sure happens, otherwise, she could have retained some of the afterbirth and she could get a severe infection. I always give a shot of oxytocin after she has finished delivering just to make sure she is cleaned out. It might be a wise move to take her into your vet just to make sure. It will be money well spent for the ease of mind. Another thing I do is take the momma's temperature for about a week after delivery to make sure everything is ok with momma. It's a good idea to stay on top of things to ward off any potential problems before they become serious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel much better now hearing that. And yes, I saw all the afterbirths. I was paranoid about that because my reference book mentioned the importance of having them out of her system. She is eating/drinking well. She just got too many puppies it's hard on her but we are making sure she is well taken care of. And with your advised, we'll also have the vet check her Monday to ease my mind.

I am already thinking how hard it will be for me when the puppies are ready to go to their permanent homes. You spend so much time with them like you are the mom then you will need to let go...how did you guys cope with that? Also, Kenya is very protective-when I check the puppies she makes sure I am not taking them out of the whelping box otherwise she'll be following me around. :lol:

Thank you,
Mhyles

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Your momma dog will get less protective with each day that passes. They all seem to be very protective the first few days and then they are fine with you handling the puppies but will still be very "on guard" with others around them.

My husband was very concerned when I first started breeding puppies, he could just see us with all these dogs running around because I wouldn't let any of them go :lol: :lol: But you will see that when you place your pups in loving homes, you are happy for the puppies and are excited for them to get to their forever homes because you know how spoiled and loved they are going to be. I surprised myself, I really was not sure I'd be able to do it but I never told my husband that :wink: It has never been a problem for me. I can't imagine just letting your puppies go to just anyone, I'd never be able to do it :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I feed several meals to the mom of the puppy food kibble. I also give organic yogurt, a generous amount every morning with her puppy food! Also when the pups are a couple weeks old I give mom the royal treatment (a bath and blowdry!) It helps her a lot! When you have 10 7 week old pups running around and you are doing laundry 3+ times a day and you KNOW you found 10 wonderful homes, you will give each angel a kiss and a wave goodbye with a little smile on your face!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts