Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We are going on vacation next week. Biscuit will be going to the kennel. I am comfortable with the kennel and we attend training there. Biscuit also goes to doggy day care there. So, he loves it. But, he will be away from us for 10 days. It's a long time for a puppy.

I was just wondering if anyone could pass on any advice about kenneling a puppy for that long. What to expect, what to bring, anything.

Thanks.

Susan

·
Registered
121 Posts
We also will be boarding Bandit for ~10 days in 2.5 weeks leaving him with our trainer. Slightly more, but then again the added benefit of her working with him while we are away.

Personally, I think it is rougher on the humans than it is the dogs.
it will be like summer camp for him to play with all of his classmates and be away from home, but still getting attention etc.

It will be a nice reunion when you return.

What we were told to bring was food and thats it but these were suggested items, a favorite toy and blanket/bedding

Good luck! you should get back just before we leave, so I will be anxious to here how it went.

Have a good time!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Keith,

Don't worry about it - Bandit will have the best of times - I agree with Jac - it's harder on us than the dogs ;)

I first boarded Pacha for 8-9 days at 4 months of age - she loved it, but I would call the kennel each day to check up on her (they tought I was crazy!!;))

Have fun on your vacation!

Michael

·
Registered
121 Posts
im not worried at all, and think he will be fine, especially considering who we are leaving him with.

The only dissappointment I have is not being able to take him with us. The combination of his training progress, our knowledge and dealing with the special conditions made that determining factor of boarding him.

Next year, we can take him after Ive gotten some better input on dealing with the desert heat and conditioning of his pads on the slickrock, etc.
Those should be easy things really, just his training is my concern.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Have a great vacation Susan and Keith...your dogs will be fine.

I totally agree that the strain is on the owner much more than the dog! When we took our dogs to "boot camp" for a week, my husband almost tried to arrange a jail break in the middle of the night!

We worried, and moped and thought that they would never forgive us...but they didn't seem one bit affected by it all...except that they were well trained!

Yes, it was really hard on us...but the dogs fared very well and I am sure that yours will too!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Your comments ease my mind. Biscuit will be working with the trainer's while we are gone. It will be nice to come home and see how he has done. I will probably call a few times to check on him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts