Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Calvin to his doggie daycare today for a playdate and one of the employees heard Calvin cough when he was pulling towards the door..(He LOVES this place), anyway, he said I may have damaged his trachea when he was pulling on walks. I told him I stopped using the choke chain after about 2 walks because it was clear that he was not going to stop pulling..and got him a gentle leader and have used it ever since. Then he said maybe he has kennel cough which I vaccinated him for. I will be devistated if I have somehow hurt him and/or his trachea. Has anyone had any experience with this? What does kennel cough sound like? He goes to this daycare once a week for 4 hours. They require all dogs to have the bordatella vaccine...So how could it be that? Help?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
do you think he coughs different? maybe its just his regular cough?
Kennel cough is a consistent cough that lots of times requires a robitussin to help alleviate the cough so the doggy can rest. it is sometimes viral and sometimes bacterial so antibiotics aren't always needed. Not sure on a damaged trachea but I would think there would be signs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Did you have the leash hooked to the collar around his neck or did you have his gentle leader on? My dogs have coughed when the collar was pressing on their throats before. When Doc did that reverse sneezing thing one evening, I couldn't sleep that night for worrying that I might have damaged his trachea when I used the choke collar on him, too. He hasn't done the reverse sneezing again so I guess he's ok. I was devestated at the thought of possibly causing damage to him, too!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had his regular collar on....I'm sure it was pressing on his trachea, but even after he was sitting nice and waiting with no pressure on his throat, he kept coughing....BUT, since I have picked him up, he has not coughed!!! I'm hopeful that it is NOT damage...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
if it were me I dont think I would worry to much, check his nose though and make sure he doesnt have a burr in it. tomorrow maybe give the vet a ring and see what he thinks. seems to me if it was continuing there would be a good chance of something going on, but because its not it could have just been a tickly throat or something. I wouldnt even be surprised cause I know these doods if he made up a cough to try to get you to not drop him at daycare!! lol

with all that said mommys intuition is a good thing so if you think anything is amiss later this evening I would contact the vet immediately.

let us know how the evening goes :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Leslie,

It sounds to me like Calvin just pulled on his collar too hard and probably reacted...but if he continues to cough, the vet would be a good place to start. You don't want to mess around with the canine flu threat...I don't want you to overreact...you have enough things that worry you! LOL

Here is a nice article about Kennel Cough:
http://www.gooddogpaws.com/article3.shtml

And here is one about choke collars/prong collars: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/prong.html

And here is one about the canine flu...http://www.avma.org/public_health/influ ... elines.asp

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also don't want to be an alarmist, but if your pup keeps coughing get to the vet IMMEDIATELY. We had a golden retriever who had what we thought was kennel cough, and it turned out to be blastomycosis, a fungal infection in her lungs. I don't know if it's something that occurs in your area, but mention it to your vet if the cough continues.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've had a couple of dogs that have coughed like that from pulling too hard on the flat collar. My little toy poodle will cough for a minute or two if someone accidentally presses on the front of her throat too hard with their hand. So, if he doesn't cough anymore on his own, I'd figure that is what happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts