Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody has any experience teaching a dood to sit still in a small boat? We want to take our doods overnight camping in our kayaks....but the water here is cold enough that hyperthermia is a real danger. Ideas?

·
Registered
434 Posts
My friend Jackie has a doodle that is 1 1/2 years old and she tells me that she kayaks with her. I will tell her about this website and maybe she can shed some light n the subject...Leslie

·
Registered
164 Posts
Leno has gone kayaking twice, and it wasnt something we planned. We took him to our family's camp and they have 2 kayaks. Anyway, my husband was out on one and Leno kept swimming out to him. So he decided to put Leno on it. Now..they have 2 different kinds. One of them you sit on top on the kayak, the other one you sit down in it. He did better on the one you sit on top of. He just layed on it. It was really cute!!!

If you have kayaks I would definately try it out!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My friend Jackie, who I mentioned in an earlier post, puts a life jacket on her doodle because she said it gives Shasta a break and allows her to stay in the water longer and not tire out. She sent me pictures and it is just too cute. She is not very computer savvy, but I hope she joins this forum...Leslie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah. We would absolutely use lifejackets. The water here gives you about 15 minutes before hypothermia. I can't figure out how to get a dood back in a kayak if they jump out. Last week when I went kayaking a seal popped up about 4 feet from the side of the boat and stared us down for about 5 minutes. I was imagining what George would do if that happened to him!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've taken our 8 month old doodle on the river in rafts, and one day in an inflatable kayak. He did extremely well, stayed very still, and even had loads of fun (especially on shore finding sticks!!!) Granted, we didn't have any seals popping their heads up out of the Colorado River, so I'd be interested in hearing what happens when you do end up taking him out!

Watersports=lifejackets!!! Can't stress it enough, especially 'cuz doodles love the wet stuff so much. It helps with warmth and most importantly, amount of swim time. Try to get a lifejacket that has a neoprene "belly cradle" that velcro's underneath- Ruff Wear makes a really nice one.

I've known another river guy who made a dog "wetsuit" out of an auto innertube, just cut it out like a coat with two front leg holes, and it fit under his pup's lifejacket for colder water trips. Enjoy paddling in the 'juans!

BTW, we're new to the forum... A shout out to y'all!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ooohhw! Thanks and Welcome! The Colorado! Are you in Texas! I moved here from Austin. .... I love the "wetsuit" idea. I just have no knowledge about how well it would work in 50 degree water. And I didn't realize a lifejacket could provide warmth as well.... We're just learning kayakers in the early stages of getting to know our island waters..... It just doesn't seem right to go without the doods, but I'm guessing that whatever we do, we need to get to be better kayakers ourselves before we take them with us.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts