Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a fenced in yard. I did it myself. Its a wood fence with 4" wide fence board spaced 4" apart. It is great for Hershey, she's over a year and 65 lbs. She is way too big to escape, Aand we play fetch every day. Well, this week we welcomed Gus to our home, and he is a little smaller, somewhere in the 20's pounds at 4 months. We had them in the yard, supervised and they played well all day, 6+ hours. We stepped inside for a second to do our own pee break and we hear the jingle jingle of dog tags at our front door....the fence doeasnt attach to the front, only to the back!!!! Is it a neighbourhood dog coming to play???? NO, its GUS!! How the heck did he escape? and thank goodness he didnt run away, he came straight to the door asking to come in for some loving. what a good dog. I need to adjust the fence.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How high was the fence? Lucy is small but she can really jump. So glad he came to the door...I can just see the look you must have had on your face. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Bwahahahaha....a perfect Houdini!!!!! When Raleigh was at his 'skinny' stage, I caught him trying to squeeze thru the railing on our deck (4" span betwain railings)...first he put his head thru, then one shoulder at a time...had to put up plastic snow fencing around the entire deck to prevent him from escaping!!! Glad Gus had enough sense to come to the front door!! :wink: :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG thank goodness he didn't run away! I worried about things like that when we got Kirby - Dex is lazy and won't spend the energy trying to escape, but Kirby is very curious and can really really jump!

Last night we saw a strange dog in our neighbor's yard...we were wondering if they were dog sitting. Then we heard a lady out front yelling a name. My husband went to find her and turns out her dog escaped through their back yard and was exploring the ravine behind our houses and got into our neighbor's fenced in yard. Luckily that story had a happy ending too.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subsequently we have caught him trying to squeeze through near the front. He only does it when we step inside for a second. He just really likes to be with us. Its sweet. I think i will get some lattice or wire to rim around the bottom of the fence to be sure. We plan on being with them outside most of the time anyway, but its better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Good thing Gus is a home body! You knew he was a smart dog. :)

Our standard poodle used to do the same thing. She'd get out of the yard and then bark at the gate or door for us to let her in. She always had that innocent look on her face. "Mom, I don't know how this happened AGAIN!"

Deb

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh man I'm glad he stayed home at least!
This is precisely why I love my electric wire at the top and bottom of my fence. No dog enjoys getting a shock, so they're careful not to touch our fence at all. It prevents digging under or crawling over. Even the puppies have learned to just leave it alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts