Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could lend some insight into this situation. Sage who is 6 months old has started submissive urination (I believe it is called). She started about a month or so ago, and whenever she meets a new dog she starts to "dribble". So far I have been ignoring it (and trying to make sure she only meets new dogs outside LOL). Is that the way to handle it? Will she grow out of it? Why would she just suddenly start doing it at 5 months old? Any answers would be very helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I understand how upsetting this can be...my Bayley did the same thing, only she would piddle when she met people too and I worried...so I studied about it. What I discovered is that it is really a smart dog to do this...the puppy has learned that it needs to communicate with other dogs that they don't have to worry, she/he won't challenge them...the pup is submitting to their dominance...therefore avoiding fights and conflict.
Your pup will most likely outgrow this in time. Bayley did.
You might want to be sure, however, that there isn't an underlying medical reason...like a UTI or something...
I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My female labradoodle does the same thing, only with people. Only certain people though. I think with her it is more of an excitement thing because when she sees certain people she really likes, she ends up peeing a bit as she is greeting them. I am hoping it will stop soon (she is almost 8 months and has been doing it since around 4 months). She doesn't do it with immediate family members, but with people she knows and loves, but doesn't see that often.

Jac I'm glad to hear Bayley has stopped. That is encouraging news indeed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jac, what age was Bayley when it stopped? I think I would be encouraged if anyone shared that they had a dog still dribbling when excited to see people when they were over 8 months old, who did outgrow it later. Crossing our fingers!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I am sorry to report that if the dribbling is continuing beyond 5 or 6 months of age...I'd personally want to try the hormone pills...

I think that if they outgrow the piddling, it is usually fairly early on...Bayley was probably around 4 months of age. Sorry...wish I could be more positive...although I do think that it is an easily treatable thing...almost everyone who has tried the hormone treatment has found that it works well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts