Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadows story almost turned into a sad one on Saturday , I was fixxing the lock on the garage door , when I had to rush to the washroom , while I was there I heard Shadow come in the house thru the back patio door , which he has turned the screen a curtain flapping in the wind , i heard him head down the stairs , and I was thinking I bet I left the doors open that lead out to our laneway , By the time I yelled at my wife who was in the back yard it was already too late the next thing I heard was a thud and a vehicle stop . I figured it was over for him . my wife ran down the side of our house as Shadow came running up towards the back yard as he was carrying his back left leg and not putting weight on it , he ran for his spot at the patio door on our deck , by the time I taklked to the fella the fella that stopped , luckily it was a person who lived nearby and he wasn'rt speeding the way most cars do on our road . I found Shadows collar on the road and thought it was blood also , but it was just a marker for water lines that was put there the day before , I ran to see Shadow and my wife had him calmed down , but he was shaking and really scared . but he got up and put a little weight on his leg and started walking around on it , after about 5 mins he quit limping and seemed ok , We got him in to the vet and he checked him over and figured he was ok , except for bruising and a little scratch inside his right leg . We brought him home and watched for any blood in his urine or stool and he has been ok . I kept him calmed down for the rest of the weekend , as much as possible , and he is up to his old ways . i just wanted to remind everyone how fast it can happen , also the collar sems to be a weird thing , because it was a new plastic clip together one maybe it saved him when the palastic clip broke and let go , otherwise if it had caught on the vehicle it may have dragged him .
We all breathed a sigh of releif and are grateful for how lucky we all where , and I told Shadow not to use his nine lives because were not sure how many close calls he has had before and also that he isn't a cat
Dan , Toni ' Shadow and Rags

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Shadow you are one lucky puppy! Dan, you are so right about how quickly they can scoot out of the house or yard! We have a 14 week old LD, Toby, who found a way out of our yard a couple of weeks ago. I was on the phone in the back yard when I noticed he was out of sight. As I caught site of him I realized he was on the WRONG side of the fence and began to panic! I ran over to the open the gate when I saw my son come up the drive on his bike and grab Toby! I am glad your story had a happy ending. :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
How lucky for all of you!!!

It is amazing how quick they can get into trouble. We had Archie (14 weeks) on a lead in the backyard. He went chasing after Chester (2 years) to play. The plastic clip on his collar broke and off he was down the backyard in no time.
This was a week after a neighbor was driving down the street and saw a young child (about 3 years old) on the side of the street (we don't have sidewalks). She was keeping an eye on him and didn't see a Lab puppy run out in front of her car. She was devestated at what had happened. She's a real dog lover. The puppy's owner yelled at her for hitting the dog and said it was a very expensive puppy!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dan, what a scary day you all had. I'm so relieved to hear Shadow is doing OK. Man, I don't know what would be worse, having my dog run over or running over someone else's dog. Both would be horrible.

Give Shadow a hug for me.

Marty

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my gosh! I am so glad that Shadow is okay! That is such a nightmare...thank goodness it turned out all right.
Thanks for sharing this...and for the reminder. It only takes a few seconds...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he's ok

Shadow had a slip and fall when playing with Rags the other night and was limping for a while . but again seems to be ok . We are contacting the police to set up radar on our street , as they did last year to slow down our speeders even though the guy that hit Shadow wasn't speeding , although he used to , . Not sure what to do with a speeding Labradoodle though . We have kept his leash on him even when he is in the fenced back yard and it seems to slow him down so he won't re-injure . I guess in the meantime just keep replacing patio screens ,
One other thing Shadow has started blowing his coat like crazy since yesterday , does anyone think it could be related to the trauma of the accident ?

Dan

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, Dan, this shedding could be due to the accident, stress causes them to shed.

If you don't have a fenced in yard, I strongly suggest looking into a wire boundary fence for your dog. Many people use them with great success and they cost less than a vet visit! :wink:

Speaking of a vet visit...I would go back and insist on x-rays...especially with the slip. Dogs don't outwardly show pain...unless it is terrible and they can't help it. If your dog is limping, it is very telling. Even just a slight limp can mean serious damage.

I personally, would not take a chance...I'd get him in for more tests. (If you know who hit him, they should be liable to pay for the vet fees.)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am so sorry for your scare, I can totally relate. About 2 months ago, Mikko got hit by a car in front of our house and broke his leg. It does only take a second. Mikko never went to the road but you never know what might lure your pups or dogs across a street that they don't ordinarilly go across. In this instance, it was a dead animal in the ditch on the other side of the road and the smell was just too inviting. Now, when Mikko is in the front yard and a car goes by, he tucks his tail and runs closer to the house. We were very lucky that he only had a broken front leg and it was a very simple break. The vet said if there is going to be a break, this was the kind to have. I still get that sick feeling everytime I think about that evening :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts