Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping I'd be posting ditto to Genes UTI diagnosis... but it seems that's not the problem here. :cry:

Moses peed in the house last night and twice today... TOTALLY unlike him.
Then he quit following me every time I move... and wasn't interested in his food. So I called my vet and took him in.

He has no fever, his exam was all normal EXCEPT that his pupils and his bladder are HUGE. His pupils aren't responding to light at all either. The vet drew blood and sent us home to wait for the results of his tests. He said it appears as if Moses might have been DRUGGED!

Does anyone have any ideas here that we're not coming up with? He's always drank an enormous amount of water and peed accordingly, which I had checked when he was 5 months old... so that I've been aware of. But this other is new... and scary.

At 14 months He's 24.5" at the shoulder and 64 lbs, so is of normal weight and height, which is encouraging since kidney problems often stunt growth.

HELP!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Until you hear back from the vet,
try to go over every place that you have been
in order to rule things out. Has he been out of your site
for any time at all. Even in the backyard??
I ask because someone once poisoned a cat of mine.
Hopefully it is something else and the tests will tell you what
and if it helps I will take some of the worry for you :wink: :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Poor Moses! I hate when my baby isn't feeling well, but I'm sure it's tortue to not know what's wrong.

A couple things came to mind...first, I know several plants that are commonly used for landscaping are toxic, including Sego plants. Secondly, there are all kinds of critters where I live that are toxic.

If Moses is anything like my Uma she explores her yard, pounces on lizards, and drinks out of puddles. Hopefully it's something he picked up outside that can be easily flushed out of his system.

Keep us posted.
Katie

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. The test results show Moses has Anaplasmosis. His white count is very high even though he has no fever. It's something they've just started seeing in our area, so I'd not heard of it before.

For anyone who is ignorant of it like I was...
Canine anaplasmosis (Anaplasma phagocytophilum, formerly known as Ehrlichia equi) is transmitted by the deer tick and the Western black-legged tick—the same ticks that transmit Lyme disease. Canine anaplasmosis symptoms are often arthritis-like with multiple painful joints. Some canine anaplasmosis-infected dogs run a high fever, accompanied by lethargy, inappetence, vomiting and diarrhea. Neurological signs, while infrequent, may result in seizures and neck pain.

He's on pain meds, and antibiotics... already had his first doses of both.
He will be on meds for a full month and then be retested. I've never found a tick on him, as I use preventatives and thought they were working.

My vet said it's often a silent disease with no symptoms for a long time from it's onset, so he might have had it a long time and we've just now seen him react to it. I feel so bad for him! He might have been hurting for a long time and not been able to ask for help. :(

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry about Moses...I will be sending lots of puppy prayers and good wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Please keep us posted. Thanks for the info...very frightening...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks friends. Your prayers and good wishes are greatly appreciated.
Now that the pain med has time to kick in, Moses is sleeping peacefully at my feet. I feel so bad for him that I could just cry.
I really wish there was some way he could TELL me when he's not feeling well. He isn't a complainer even when he gets stepped on and we KNOW it had to hurt... so I cringe to think how long he's probably been struggling with this.

According to Dr B the bacteria enters the white blood cells and prevents them from being able to do their job, so leave the dog susceptible to all sorts of other things that they'd normally shrug off. It's no wonder he was looking so pathetic.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We all will say a prayer for Moses quick recovery. Everytime I read a post like this and everyone sends prayers it makes me wonder why no one has ever made a prayer symbol??? I searched my keyboard and the closest thing I could come up with is /\ or ^ I wish someone would find one, anyone out there ever see one?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts