Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home our 13 week old puppy Ruby yesterday. Despite the obvious nervousness meeting us and the car ride home (1.5 hour drive), she did very well and had no throw up sessions in the car. She ate a bit and drank water, spent time in her crate, pooped and peed outside, etc. She had an accident in the family room when I got home with the kids, but she settled down.

Ruby slept in her crate in our family room from approximately 10:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., and, unless we missed cues, she was quiet. She did have what appeared to be minor drips in her crate this morning, so we removed the bedding to clean it out.

This morning, she was very agitated and did not know what she wanted to do. However, she gulped down her water and ate, pooped and peed outside, etc. After some play, I put her in her crate for the morning...she cried for 10 minutes and is now quiet.

Here's the question...what is a good feeding/crating/watering/elimination/exercise schedule to keep for her at her age? I have read the Monks of New Skete books and I am following their schedule rather closely, but I would like others to weigh in. As much as I like her to be with me, I want her to get used to being in her crate so we have minimal problems at night.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jaq...she's a bit off today and very whiny....I feel a little overwhelmed right now and am concerned about doing right by her. Not sure how much I should expect her to be active and how often she should nap. Ate at 5:30 a.m. but refused lunch at 11:45...as her brother (purchased by the family up the street and came home at 7 weeks) has had some major adjustment issues and depression, I am watching this closely. I kept her in her crate for 45 minutes this a.m. She whined for about 15 min of that time then settled down. Taking her out to eliminate (or to try) about every hour to 90 minutes. Doing well in that respect.

Interestingly, when I take her out into the yard, she wants to get back inside (even early a.m. when it has been cooler). Spooked by yard noises, bugs, etc.?

Hates the leash so far.

She is asleep again at my feet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that you have several possible issues going on here...

First I wonder if the breeder did any socialization...if not, that would account for the fear.

Still, your puppy is in a stage of development where she is aware of fear. She will be afraid more than an 8 week old puppy will be.

I don't really know what the method of crate training is like for New Skete...but sometimes you have to look away from the "rules" to what your puppy needs. Not every puppy is the same and the book is assuming that your puppy is a normal, well adjusted one...and she may well be...but she may be from a different environment too. (Sorry, but I don't know...)

There could be several issues going on with your puppy. Have you taken her to the vet for a check up? Even though she is new to your family, I'd suggest getting her in to the vet to get a clean bill of health...and your vet can help you with the issues you are facing. They will tell you about the schedule she should be on and what type of food and also what amounts...

Don't be overly concerned about any of this right now. I think that your pup is just really confused. She is not sure what is expected of her. She was removed from everything that she knows...and she doesn't understand what you want from her...or how to please you. This will come with time.

Don't get frustrated or upset...she will pick up on that. Try to stay calm and happy with her...and she will sleep a lot at this age, but she will normally play hard too.

My personal opinion is that you may be keeping her in the crate longer than you need to (not that 45 minutes is long...but it may have been the timing...maybe she needed cuddling at that particular time.) You can still housetrain her...try tethering her to you as you go about your day. You will know if she is looking for a potty spot and will be able to take her out immediately. You can stop her from doing naughty things, like chewing and digging...and, most importantly, she will feel loved and like she is part of the pack.

Pick her up often, touch her often, handle her feet, ears, face...brush her...brush her teeth...hand feed her...do lots of things so that she learns that you love her. This is also good so that you can ease her into grooming routines.

Give lots of treats...when you say her name and she responds, give her a treat. When she looks at you for no reason, give her a treat. When she gets up to walk with you, give her a treat.

Let her see that you have a happy home filled with love and she will overcome her fears. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate the kind words and intelligent feedback. I truly need them. The breeders were exceptionally kind, diligent about well-being and vet visits, kept a super clean home for the dogs and were very helpful to us...but I doubt there was much socialization outside the litter. She just left her mom and her two remaining sibs after three months, so I know how hard this must be for her.

She has been at my side most of the afternoon...sleeping again now. I guess I just assumed incorrectly that if she didn't get time in her crate during the day, she might balk at the crate at night. Am I way off there?

She goes to the vet in the a.m. and starts puppy obedience training and socialization Saturday.

Is it common for a dog to pick one general location to pee and another to poop?

She will not climb or descend stairs and seemed afraid to leave the family room where her crate is.

If she passes on a meal, do you keep the bowls out for her or give her an allotted time and then put away?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
She will do great! Sounds like a very normal situation to me.

Your love and care will bring her around in no time!

I have puppies the same age (I am a breeder and still have 2 at home) and my puppies spend the day outside and running around the garage where I have an x-pen to put them in when I can't watch them...and when we go to bed at night, I take them to our room, open the crate door and they both go right in and lie down! My husband thinks that I need to give them a treat every time they go in, so I do (to please him, not them :lol: ) but I think that they would do great without a treat. They go right to sleep.

So, I think that crating your puppy is more an issue when you can't watch her. If you are there to watch that she doesn't get into trouble then she doesn't need to be in a crate...also if you want to use an x-pen to give her a bit more roaming space while keeping her contained, that works well too.

Periodically, toss treats into the crate and say "kennel up" or something similar and when she goes in, treat her again....and praise her. But leave the door open. Soon she will like the crate and go there on her own.

I am happy that you are getting her right into classes. She will do well! You will see a big improvement then.

Yes, it is common for the puppy to have one place for potty time...and often they select a place farther away for pooping.

Stairs are often scary, especially big staircases...and you don't want her playing on stairs because it can damage her hips. She will learn not to be afraid of things once she is more used to them.

With the stairs, I put pieces of treat on the stairs...and let the dog find them. I would sit on the stairs and be there to help out if she gets afraid and can't go up or down...distracting her with treats, not comforting words...the comfort might encourage her fear. Make a game, use happy voices...and enjoy this training time.

Many people will tell you to take the food up after 20 minutes or so, and feed regularly. I personally free feed and it works well for us. It is a personal choice. You can do whatever works best for your circumstances. Again...flexibility is important because your little puppy won't be exactly like anyone elses! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jac,
You are very good! I agree with everything you just said! Pup is in a new environment and needs a little extra tender loving care! Then look out the games begin! LOL!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Farley is almost 15 weeks and we've had him about a month. He pees in one place and poops in another. I guess we kind of chose them and now I wish I would have thought them out a bit better. He usually pees right outside in the front, and the lawn is showing it with the brown spots. He goes around the north side of the house to poo, and I wish we would have started him using the south side, which is much closer to the front door. I'm trying to coax him to change over but he still prefers the north side. We live on a corner lot and the north side of the house is at the street. When he was still getting up at night to go, I was out with him at about 3 am in my jammies, just mens boxers and a muscle t-shirt (no bra, no shoes, it's 3 am, I'm barel awake!). Anyway, a car came by and passed and then slowed down real slow. Scared the bajeebers out of me. Ihad a cast on at the time and there is no way I would have been able to outrun anyone if they came after me. The south side of the house faces the neighbors house and it's not only much closer to the door, it's more private and much harder to be seen because of a huge pine tree. And when there is snow on the ground, and in the rain, it will be nice to head to the closer side.
Didn't mean to totally hijack your post, but just something to think about that I wish I had sooner!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Kelly, when the snow and rain come...I'd bet that Farley changes sides all on his own! :lol:

Geeze...be careful out there at night! That is scary!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pleased to report that Ruby slept through the night (6 hours) in her crate for the second straight night through a torrential downpour, lightning and thunder and peed outside twice in the rain. No accidents during the evening. Had one this a.m. in the house, but I think I just missed her cues. Very clingy to me and very jumpy to footsteps and house noises.

I get the feeling I am taking her out too much during this crate training period (every hour to 90 minutes unless she is napping or at bedtime), considering how well she holds at night. I know it is still early in the game (only home 4 days), but any suggestions? Am I on target?

To establish elimination location, do you always leash and take out to the spot or do you let the dog find her own place to eliminate? Seems like she does much better when she is roaming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello! We've had Charlie for a month now (he's 12 weeks old) and we took him to the same area for him to eliminate but we used the leash that is retractable so that if he needed more space to "roam" to find a good spot then that was fine with us. At first, it took some persistance on our part to keep him walking around because he would just sit (he can be a little stubborn). I've noticed now that when we take him out front or out back he will do his buisness in a variety of places and we don't "have" to take him to the original spots (which is nice, because we too made the mistake of having the area be down at the end of the townhouse row which is a pain to do in the am hours in your pjs and when it is raining). It takes lots of time and patience. I also felt like I was constantly taking him out (and I was) but it was what he needed. Trust your dog and your gut - everything will work out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
much appreciated. she continues to do well. no significant accidents (a droplet here and there in the crate, I think due to excitedness, and a couple pees in the basement after running around in circles, again due to exctiement); less whining in the crate and sleeping 11:00 to 5:45 a.m. Not bragging, just looking for some comparisons. I know this can change quickly.

Incredibly mellow around kids and noise (with some reassuring)...seems to love to eat grass, dirt and cicadas, alive and dead. Gross.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I never put otto in his crate through the day, he goes in at night when we tell him it is time for bed, and on his on accord through the day with the gate open when he wants quiet time for himself. Otto is 5 months old and yesterday was the first time we left him alone for 1 hour in his crate, I think he was OK as when we returned he was quiet and we have had no complaints from the neighbours, fingers crossed will repeat this exercise tomorrow

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crate Training Maintains Sanity

Ruby cannot be trusted for a second with us out of the room...just too adventurous. Over the last week we have increased her crate time from 15 minutes up to 2 hours at a time (don't do the latter a lot because I am still taking her out every 90 minutes). She does not go in willingly and requires some scooting, but now, instead of pushing to get out, she sits patiently while we fasten the slides on the crate, then we treat her.

In one week, she is holding through the night, every night; doesn't whine when we walk by the crate and she never barks in the house. Occasional excited dribbles in the crate, but nothing more.

Crate training has been a god send because we have a large house with three busy children and many friends and neighbors dropping in all the time...I like that I can put her in a safe place in the house and not stick her out in the yard all the time, where she might get overheated, stung by yellow jackets, etc.

Not advocating latch key Doodles...just think crates make life and housebreaking infintely easier and actually much more pleasant

G

·
New Puppy

Hi everyone! We have had Boyd (b/c he looks like a Boyd's Teddy Bear) for just under two weeks now and I am feeling SO overwhelmed! Please tell me this is normal! I took last week off to get him acclimated and now I feel so bad that I'm at work and he's at home in the crate. I do have a person coming in mid-day to play with him and feed him, etc.

Boyd is a very smart, sweet dog. Sleeps all night and is very curious about everything! The biggest issue right now is is biting and what I hope is "play growling." When I try to correct him by gently popping his nose or holding his muzzle and saying "NO BITE" he thinks it is a game.

Also, Boyd learned very quickly how to go up stairs but then I read puppies shouldn't do that b/c they are still forming their joints, etc. What is correct? Now I am carrying him down and up the deck stairs when I take him out to play, pee and poop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts