Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening,we brought home Licorice, a black doodle from Wilson Creek in Spring Green, WI. This is our first ever dog. The really cool thing is that I am not allergic to him, which is pretty neat.

It was nice to read over the other posts here and to talk today with the breeder, Teresa, about our experiences. The first thing I remember is he left a large poopoo on the kitchen floor. Seems he likes the kitchen floor a lot, as he pees without warning at various places in the kitchen. I thought we had a good thing going with a pee-mat to at least get him going in one place, but that hasn't proven out. I was taking him outside a lot in the beginning, but my timing was not right -- plus going out of our doors here is to walk into tall grass / weeds with no real friendly patio or lawn (maybe I should fix that). Licorice just ate dinner and we were aiming to have that come out on the mat, but surprisingly it came out in the crate -- Licorice was circling in the crate, so I removed him and put him on the mat, no luck, happened a second time with no luck, then the third circling around, I just missed it. I sure hope we work this out.

The nice thing is that the first night we had very little whining, with Licorice in the crate in our bedroom.

We have the biting/nipping thing going on too. We try to distract with little Kong toys, and I tried a gentle version of the suggestion here to press their snout with a thumb inside the mouth and a finger on the snout top. Didn't seem to work yet, but I didn't squeeze much.

Well, that's where we are at now. Still in the stressed phase.

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats on your new doodle! Charlie is our first puppy too and boy is it lots of work! But, it is worth it when he greets you with the wagging tail and happy dance (we call it circus dog!). :lol: We've had him about 8 weeks and we are still working on the timing thing... although I have to say it's gotten better, but it's not "perfect" yet. Hang in there - you will both get it soon enough.

·
Registered
972 Posts
First off, we must see pictures! Congrats on your new addition! I would definitely clear out the weeds, so it is easier to go potty. The circling is definitely a sign of having to potty. It will get easier. The pup needs more time to adjust to its new surroundings. In a couple of weeks, you will be saying just the opposite!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to learn how to insert photos here.

I hardly take my eye off him, and he will eliminate just at the "wrong" time/place. This morning's poo, I knew he was ready -- just ate, circling -- I tried to get him to go in the mat area, but he zips off somewhere else and takes care of business pretty quickly. Seems like if he had his way he would pee on the kitchen tile and poo on the living room carpet. We have noticed that generally he will poo about 45 minutes after eating and he will pee about 10 minutes after drinking -- that does make outdoor elimination seem like a wiser idea.

He does the leash biting thing, too. Just like many other people write about. IllinoisFay isn't fond of the biting and is considering that Bitter Apple idea before she has to deal with getting nibbled.

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would take him outside every half an hour or so and say "go potty!" very enthusiastically. When he does, give him a treat. Then you can lengthen the time as he gets older. He should go out RIGHT AWAY after eating... their little systems cant hold much!

Good luck and get some pics for us!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations Bob! I am so happy for you and your new addition to the family!

How old is your puppy? Have you asked your breeder what potty habits the puppy has had to date?

When I have a whole litter of dogs, I train them to use a potty pad...however, this is not a favored method for people who want to train their dogs to go outside, according to the "experts" :wink: But I have found that our pups are generally very easy to train.

I would say to get a weed whacker and clear a spot big enough for your puppy to circle and find his place. They like to find their own potty place, if possible. Then, do take him out after every meal, and depending on his age, every hour or so...but this is important...if he is peeing a lot (every half hour seems like a lot to me, unless he is very young) then you probably need the vet to check to make sure he has no UTI. If he is clear from any infection, training must become very consistent but do expect accidents.

Some pups learn faster than others. Don't get frustrated. Do clean the potty area with Nature's Miricle by soaking it really well. Is it possible that another dog, at some point in time, pottied in your house? If so, the scent is probably still there and it encourages your pup to potty there.

When you see circling absolutely go outside. Don't come back in until your pup potties...and I agree with saying the "potty" command and giving lavish praise and treats when the pup does the right thing.

When you take the pup outside to potty, keep him on leash until he potties...no playtime. Then when he is finished, take him inside for treats and praise (in addition to the immediate response when he potties) and only THEN let him go back outside to play. He needs to learn that you take him out and he is to "potty" not play.

He will get it, but you will have some work on your hands for a few weeks.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1689

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.

It had been going great today with 3 pees and 2 poos done outside. Now it is thunderstorming -- I had not prepared for that, so I carried out Licorice under my trench-coat and umbrella to avoid breaking the habits. He was scared, so I sat down with him under my coat for a while. It was a good while, and it came up upon his feeding time, so I gave him some food and water. Then he showed signs of needing to go out again, so I got him walking around under the umbrella and he sniffed out a good spot. To my shock, only several (5?) liquid drops of red came out. I am concerened. What could that be -- scaredness, new Eukanuba treat, etc?

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Whether the blood was in his urine or in his bowels, both are cause for a vet visit. I'm sure it isn't anything that can't be treated but you don't want it to continue without treatment, it could become very serious if left untreated.

BTW, welcome to the forum and we all look forward to pictures of your new little cutie!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I don't know how to post a picture here????

He had another slightly bloody stool and he vomitted some clear fluid. We will look to get him checked out today.

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
to post pics follow these instructions:

all in one row type the following:

you can press "preview" to see if it worked or edit in the top right if it doesnt work for some reason. I have also found it best to use a "public" photo site, in other words not yahoo etc. I like photobucket personally because it does all the work for you. When you load into photobucket you will see THREE codes under your picture. One will have the code in it. You can simply copy and paste that code into your message here! Couldn't make it any easier. [URL="http://www.photobucket.com"]www.photobucket.com[/URL]

as for the drops of blood, sounds liek a UTI to me. Best get him to the vet for a check up!

The vomit may have just been Bile... I know that esp when Sammy was small she would need to eat almost right after waking up or she would get an upset tummy and throw up bile, a clear liquid. Ask the vet about this too.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm so happy for you IllinoisBob! I know you've been really doing A LOT of research on these guys. It sounds like you're getting used to Licorice's signals and you'll both be trained in no time (he'll know to give you the signal and you'll know what he wants).

Chester was my first dog ever...then we added Archie. Puppies are a lot of work but when they finally get it they are so rewarding.

I think my friends would get sick of hearing of the adventures of Chester and Archie...The best part of this forum is you'll always have someone to share your pride in accomplishments with

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear you decided on a Wilson Creek doodle. Our Kenai is 15 weeks old now, and we couldn't be happier. Over the 8 weeks we've had her I have emailed Teresa several times about different things and she always responds with helpful advise and hints. I don't think you'll regret your decision.

Kenai started out all black, but now her paws and muzzle are turning chocolate.

Lots of patience and consistency are the keys to training your pup. Licorice will figure it all out soon!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great progress Bob!

But...yes, please get Licorice to a vet ASAP...not because it is really a scary thing, but because infections in puppies can get worse fast and you want to prevent one from getting bad if you can. (Be sure to tell them about the blood when making the appointment, I think they will get you right in.)

I believe that once you get the infection under control, you will be AMAZED at the speed you can housetrain your pup!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congrats Bob from England, we took shifts with Otto, we never used the paper or training pad , we used a alarm clock, and put him in the garden they say they can hold their blader an hour for each month, work it from this, we had Otto trained within 2 weeks he was very clever and caught on quickly, the problem is he does not tell you verbly, he stands at the door and if you dont see him then he would most proberly go.
But enjoy your doodle as they are lots of fun and have great personalities

1 - 20 of 84 Posts