Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone has any tips on keeping their labradoodle from jumping up on them &/or the table, windowsill, etc. At first we thought it was cute when Harley (5 mos old) tried to look out the front window when one of us was leaving the house, but now we realize that it is a bad habit. He jumps on us & company all the time. Any suggestions or will he outgrow it? thanks for any help. Debbie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Deb,
I don't know if this will work for jumping on window sills and such, but someone on this forum gave me a wonderful technique for jumping on people...I think it could work for other things if you are able to do it...

When Harley jumps up on you (or others) take his front paws, hold them up high so that he is not comfortable (but not hurting) and just talk to him, tell him "no jump" or "off" while you talk to him in a gentle voice...he will try to pull away, but keep ahold of him until you decide that you have held him enough. Then let him down and praise him for "good off"...with lots of love.

As soon as he jumps up again, repeat. If he doesn't get it after a few times, you could gently squeeze his paws...again, don't hurt him, just make it uncomfortable. He will quickly learn that he doesn't like that...and you will see him start to jump up and catch himself...when you do...be sure to praise him. When you catch him with 4 on the floor, give him lots of praise, love and treats.

I had tried everything...and my dogs still jumped on us...then I tried this and they have learned so quickly not to jump. It has been amazing! Plus, it isn't mean, angry or harmful. I love the method!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

along with holding the paws ( until they start to pull away) - if you can get around 5 different people to hold their paws - this will help aswell

Ash xx

·
Registered
41 Posts
We used a different approach in our Puppy 101 class. Each time the dog jumps up, say "oops!" and turn around and walk away. They are jumping - on you at least - for your attention. So, remove your attention until all four paws are on the floor. Then, praise lavishly. In class we actually rotated puppies (everyone got a chance with each dog) because they may behave for you but not a stranger / guest. Basically, we baited the dog to jump up (patting your knees saying "c'mon Quin!") and when they didn't jump they got lavish rewards. Add a verbal command to use if the dog is jumping on stuff in addition to people. Just another apprach. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jumping up

Thanks for sharing & we are trying the method of holding up his paws & talking to him gently. Our other problem with Harley (which I should have mentioned) is that he is a very mouthy puppy. When he jumps on us, he usually has his mouth open & is also biting at us. He has gotten very good at jumping away so that we can't hold his mouth shut, which we used to do when he was smaller. We did take him to a puppy class, but other than the socializing with other puppies, none of the methods that they suggested worked with the jumping up. We realize that we have a very active puppy & we are just trying to make life a bit less frustrating until he gets over this phase. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Deb, Harley is very much like my Bayley was...she loved contact with us and she was always jumping on us and mouthing us. Now, her mouthing NEVER hurt...she only opened her mouth over our wrist...and she would do it as a form of love, I think. Nonetheless, it was something we did not want her to do. (My husband said that her mouthing was like us petting her...she had no way of connecting with us other than through her mouth...which is how puppies connect all the time...I thought that made sense.)

She still does that once in a while, when she is very, very happy...but she is 2 years old now and she doesn't have any of the traits that were so hard to deal with when she was younger...so, try your best to subdue Harley and follow the training advice you get...but also know that when he gets older, this behavior will really drop off.

These active, wild puppies almost always turn into calm, mellow, loving adult doodles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jumping up

Thanks again for your help. We just had the goldendoodle from 2 doors down over for a playdate & she is only one week younger than Harley & what a difference. We think one of the problems that we have with Harley is the fact that we took him when he was only 6 weeks old & he didn't have the chance to play with his littermates. Maggie (the goldendoodle) was just given to our neighbors a couple of weeks ago & she has very few of Harley's problems.
Harley seems to either have shown or is still showing most of the negative attributes that we have read are possible. His latest, just today, is digging. He hasn't done that as yet, but here it is now. He sometimes does the submissive wetting around new people & of course, the biggest problem is the jumping up & biting. He really doesn't hurt us with the biting either, he is just playing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts