Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on stopping our 7 month old, Sadie, from constantly scrounging for food on our kitchen island, counters and table. We never feed her people food and correct her every time we see her commit the act but this is just not sinking in with her. I can't tell you how many times I've turned my back for a second and my toddlers waffle is swiped. We were crating her or putting her in the yard every time we eat but want her to learn this so she can be around us as she gets older, plus between preparing 3 meals a day and eating them, that's a lot of time for her to be away from us. Any suggestions? Thanks! Oh, any favorite toys that can't be destroyed in 15 minutes? Sadie loves her Kong but can get treats out very quickly and gets tired of bones and takes the stuffing out of stuffed toys in no time. We're trying to find things that keep her busy without having to buy new ones each week. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
One of my dogs' favorite toys is the rings to canning lids! They last forever, get squished up but never split (and my dogs can destroy anything) and the best part is that they make this wonderful tinkling noise when the dog tosses them in the air and they land on a hard floor...they love them, puppies to adult! Also, ice cubes (small ones).

As for the stuffed toys, we just buy them, knowing that the stuffing and squeeker will be removed shortly...so we buy them inexpensively. Look at www.petedge.com for toys...good prices!

About counter surfing...that is a tough problem. He is a bit old to tether...but he is still a puppy. My trainer said that when you can't watch your dog (every second) he should be crated. While that is great in theory, for me it isn't possible. So, our dogs do get away with things...but they don't counter surf, thank goodness. Take heart, when your dog matures he will probably stop...but you do still need to take firm control and teach him not to...how you do that is through many various methods.

One thing that I have seen, but never tried, is a mat that lies on the counter (or sofa or any surface you want you dog away from) and it give a small shock when they touch it. I am pretty much opposed to shocking pets...but sometimes the threat and/or harm is worth the trade-off...in this case, your dog could swipe something dangerous, like a knife or something...

Here is an article about training that includes one on countertop stealing...it may not ring true in your circumstances...but maybe it will help: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1754

·
Registered
424 Posts
I read somewhere on this forum about booby trapping the kitchen counter with a tray loaded up with noisy, unbreakable, harmless things so that when the dog puts its paws on the counter it will knock over the tray and scare itself with the noise. I have not tried it myself but it sounds like it could work.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
mouse traps

per my trainer and extremely effective.

also good in the trash can.

after a few times you dont have to even set them! the doggies
see them and dont go up.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've also heard you can put two sided tape along the edge of the counter and they will not like the stickiness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts