Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Its been a while since I have posted mainly because I have an almost 5 month puppy that is keeping me busy!! Palmer will be 5 months next week and we have encountered a few issues I was hoping to get some advice on. We just finished Puppy training at Petsmart, which by the way was very helpful. I am considering signing up for intermediate training next month. Anyway, Palmer is hyper when excited he jumps on people constantly especially when someone new comes into house. I know its probably normal until I learn how to train him to stop jumping. So, What is the best way to stop the jumping? (I hate to think of a 50lb dog jumping on people!)
Another thing is that he is afraid to walk in the neighborhood on his leash. He bascially stops and sits down and will not move when we leave our driveway- I have tried treats to get him to the end of our cul de sac then he will walk some but only for a while. Is this something he will grow out of? Barking dogs really scare him - only ones in the neighborhood - not a Petsmart.
Any advice would be helpful! Thank you> :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi. Aren't they sweet. I am so busy with my 12 week old. Just like a baby. Well, I think the jumping can be a training issue. Our trainer asked us to keep some treats by the door. We are supposed to keep our dog in a "sit & wait" while a guest comes in. Then, they get a treat.

Our puppy also was afraid to go out of the driveway. I had to carry him across the threshold :) Eventually, he began to trust it was okay. Walking has gone much easier with my new prong collar. Our trainer gave one to all the puppies. It has helped Biscuit learn a heal and a no quite well.

I don't know if it helps but I am sure you will be enjoying walks around the neighborhood soon. It just takes time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The treats can work I would add that keep him on a leash when you know someone is coming over that way you have control of him this is a good way to break them of jumping on guest. Greet the guest and tell them to ignore him for a few minutes you don't want them encouraging him by talking to him and getting him exicited, then after a few minutes let them pet him. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our Woody is also a bit of a jumper. I don't think it's really a bad problem, he is a puppy after all. However, I would appreciate any advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts