Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginger jump my fence today. I so scared that she going to run in the street and get hit by a car. This is the first time she done that. What are the odds of her doing it again. How do I get her to stop.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Oh boy... I think once a dog knows she can do it, she is very likely to do it again. I hope others have some training suggestions. Meanwhile, do not let her outside unsupervised.

Is there a chance you can get a taller fence?

Deb

·
Registered
53 Posts
I very much agree with Deb - I wouldn't let her out in the yard without a lead until you can get a higher fence. (I know, fences are not cheap!)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Most of my fence is 6', so there's no problem there. On my neighbors side it's only 4 1/2'. Jonah clears this in a standing jump. Luckily, he hasn't figured out he can "clear" it with a run. I agree with the above advice, tether til the fence can be made higher. Maybe an added trellis? That's what my neighbor and I have planned if one of mine figures out they can clear it.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh that is scary! I think the trellis suggestion is good for low spots. We have one too and I'm sure we'll have to do something about that as Bogie grows.
But........I do believe once they learn they can...they will. I'm in agreement to not have her in the yard without a lead until you can figure out what to do.
Sorry for your dilemma...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the suggestions. My fence isn't very high it only about 4 1/2 feet. I looking into putting in a 6ft fence. Ginger will not be allow out back unless i am with her.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We have a 4 foot tall fence with a single strand of electric fence wire on top and bottom. It not only keeps our dogs in, they don't jump on the fence and it keeps the neighbors dogs OUT. It's the same kind of elect fence you'd see around a horse or swine enclosure. It plugs into 110 and rattles your teeth pretty good if you happen to touch it... but it does no lasting damage and all my dogs stay safe inside it.

Our biggest problem was the neighbors dogs jumping INTO our run to eat our dogs food and play in their pool. After encountering the electric wire, they don't come near the runs anymore. With intact females I needed to find a sure fire way to keep other dogs away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts