Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we went to the groomers, got both kids looking all pretty. Came home, let them go potty, brought Miko in, took Jonah to the yard. He ran around, zoomed to the back door crashing into the fence...got his nails trimmed. Let Miko out, she pottied, let her back in and there's blood everywhere!! I looked at his front paw, and it looked like they cut his web when they groomed him. I called the vet, they said out gauze on it and come in monday. I called Petsmart and they offered to pay they offered to pay the vet bills if they did the damage. I put a cotton ball between his two toes, and the blood started pooling! I;m freaking and call the vet back...it's 5:30 now. They said bring hiom in because the vet was still there. I was lucky, his wife answered the phone. 3 staples later, he's all wrapped up. He said it looked like a scissor cut. When I got home, I'm out with the doods talking to my brother, look down and one of the bottom links on the fence id turned inward. I go out to the car and check the backseat...no blood. I call Petsmart back and apologize. He did it on the fence!! So tomorrow it's off to Lowe's to get something to put on the bottom of the fence to prevent this from happening again.

I'm still concerned about Jonah. He's still bleeding a little, bandage is a little bloody. He's on anti-biotics. I'm trying to keep him calm and putting a little bitter apple on the bandage..on top, not on the wound. I may have to get a cone tomorrow. The vet said he would hate it and discouraged it. I'm so thankful to him(and his wife) for staying late for me. The cost was $78 with a revisit in 2 weeks to remove staples. I can't even fathom what the emergency vet would have been! I'm going to call the vet on monday about whether the bandage should be changed. With the rainy weather, they gave me plasma bags to tape on his feet. He chewed that off already. It's going to be leash walks only for two weeks.....say a prayer for me now!!

Sorry for such a lengthy post...I feel better now. I get the bad daddy award!! :(

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot....we have pictures....

The chewy makes my booboo better...Jonah

WOW...my floors are even dustier in pictures! :shock: Please overlook that!

G

·
Poor Jonah!!!!
How about a sock instead of the bag? Definitely change the bandage if it gets bloody or dirty. If you do end up changing it, add some neosporin to the wound.
Poor baby (YOU and Jonah!)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh no!! hehe...sorry, but your leg does look funny!! I can't even imagine how you can keep him from chewing on that!! I would be worried he may chew the the plastic and eat some of it?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Gene, you're not a bad daddy, you just have an exuberant doodle! Poor Jonah, milk it for all it is worth Jonah and maybe you'll get some good bones and treats! :wink: (the floors no worries Just put socks on Jonah and Miko's feet and they can dust for you)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oh! Oh! Oh! My poor, poor buddy! :cry: I'm soooo sorry for your owie!!!!
Let your Daddy know that he's GREAT Daddy....you're very lucky to have him!
Hang in there Jonah, and try your best not to chew on your foot! You don't want to get that bleeding again! :?

Your pal,
Rrr-aleigh! :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The baggy is just for when he goes outside. I may look for waterproof socks tomorrow?? I have no idea what kind of bandages to use. Any thoughts?

Jonah wanted me to post these for you....

OH THE AGONY!!!

FEEL SORRY FOR ME?? Miko SAYS she does......Jonah

Needless to say, he's resting now. Tomorrow is when I'll be concerned when he gets his oomph back!

:wink:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I know they're ugly, but can you find a pair of rubber booties from Petsmart large enough for his foot? that would at least protect him from the rain and mud that's coming tomorrow, if it's not already there that is....and I would change his dressing tomorrow, with clean gauze, neosporin and the widest waterproof adheshive tape you can find from Walgreens or CVS...maybe talk to the pharmacist, tell him Jonahs problem and he can advise you the best dressings to get...good luck Gene...

G

·
Oh, that last picture is a keeper! Miko saying to Daddy, "Please make Jonah better so I can chase him, Puhleeeaze Daddy!" and Jonah just looking so sad.
I would try some plain gauze bandage for the bottom layer and maybe do the self stick ace bandage like Sessa mentioned for the second layer, then a sock.
This will make the bandage changing easier.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice and support! You guys are the best. He's got one of my mom's old "tread" socks on over the bandage right now. I knew I saved them for a reason! Tomorrow morning first thing, we're headed to CVS to buy what you recommended. Then a quick stop at Lowe's to find something for the fence. Maybe they'll have an idea how to pup safe the bottom of the fence. Along the yard side I'll get those plastic garden edgers, for the other side maybe those plastic or rubber cord hiders? should be a fun day. :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Gene
I just got home and read this, I am so sorry.
When I saw the topic Jonah injury I started to freak out
and was almost scared to read it. I think that we have gotten so close to each other and each others animals, that it almost feels like Jonah is my doggy too.
I agree with changing the bandage frequently and think it is a great idea to ask the vet or pharmacist for the proper bandage.
Jonah looks so sad but Denver thinks he is very smart to be relaxing and taking it easy and also thinks that as Jonah's Daddy you might want to get him some frozen yogurt to ease the pain and maybe a new toy and Denver is just going on and on right now but you get it. As far as being a bad Daddy, that is so far from the truth, it was an accident!!!!
Get better Jonah , you are in my heart right now big time.
Love and kisses to you Jonah

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH Gene i just got home a few minutes ago.
I am soooooooooo sorry to hear about Jonah...he looks so sad on the couch and MIKO does too!

i would ask if you should be using POLYSPORIN instead of neosporin.
and yes keep changing bandages like vet said. I hope all goes well Gene and actually a good daddy for calling the vet

keep me posted please as remember i am Auntie Annmagoo! :wink:

there is also paper cloth tape that once used if it gets wet it aheres better but is sooooo easy to take off and doesn't reopen wounds. they sell it over the counter at most pharamacy or in that area.

hope Jonah heals quickly Gene...give Jonah and Miko a big hug and kiss from all of us here!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Gene, have you thought about calling the fence installers tomorrow
and having them check the entire installation for any more turned in links?
Maybe they have some kind of heavy duty tool to bend them backwards
and fix them.....just a thought on this rainy windy Sunday morning.... :D

How ya doin Jonah???? Did you have a good night? I'll bet your foot is really tender now, so be careful Dood! And play it up!!! hahaha...love your 'couch lounging' picture! :D :D We love ya Buddy!!!!
Your pals,
Rrr-aleigh & Molly

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Awwww poor BOY!!!! That's quite a boo-boo on your foot. Poor sweetie....

Gene you might want to check your local pharmacy for waterproof gauze wrap. Something like this:

(It can serve as a pressure bandage too, just don't wrap it so tight that his toes lose circulation...)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the store already this morning, got stuff to doodle proof the fence, bandages, etc. Got water resistant tape. I'll get the water proof next time out today. Changed the bandages....looked good! There was no bleeding!The most difficult part was getting him not to help! He cleaned it good for me!! I used some polysporin, and wrapped it up good and he got a new sock. Now if I can get him to quit chewing the sock. I'm using bitter apple, but it evaporates fast and there he goes again. I may still get a collar for tomorrow. I can't kennel him because he tries to "dig" out and I'm sure I'd come home to a bloody mess!

Here's my new sock, it's Eeyore, how appropriate!......Jonah :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Gene....ok i woke up late this morning and first thing i want to know is HOW IS Jonah doing????

also how did you figure out it was the fence and not the groomers?
Can you call the fence company? was it installed properly OR can they do something to the fence so this doesn't happen again? sorry worry wort mom here.

the only other thing i could think of is putting metal stakes round the bottom of areas that could turn upwards. you pound the metal stakes in the ground over the offending part BUT i would CALL the fence company first as they may have a better solution.

keep us updated...as i too feel like Auntie Annmarie and Jonah is part of MY family too :D

hahaha in fact, i was thinking perhaps you should alwasy consult with YOUR FORUM family first? :wink: hhahahhahaha!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Poor sweetie...and Jonah too!
Good thing you found out what caused it and its good to see he's on the mend.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, no! I just read this and I am so sorry!
Once, when Bayley was tiny, she was doing the Doodle 500 and ran into a rusty nail...a big one...but I didn't know it...whe screamed cried for a minute then stopped. I watched her, thought she was okay...then put her on the bed with me to give her lots of love...that's when I noticed that her side was bleeding. She had run the nail all along her side for about 4 inches! Poor girl...so I know how you feel...but it isnt' your fault. These things happen. Sounds like you did all of the right things for Jonah.
I hope that he is feeling better today.
I think I'd keep him off from it for a day or so, to let the healing begin. I would think that walking on it might open it up more....I dunno.
Also bitter apple has, I believe, alcohol in it and could sting. There is a product made for injuries called bitter yuck (yep, bitter yuck) and it is water based...you might want to try that.
The sock idea is a great one...I'd not do too much waterproofing of the bandaging...the wound needs air to heal.
Lots of kisses, hugs and special treats ought to help.
Best wishes and love to Jonah...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I still can't believe this... and I must say, I'm impressed you were so honest to call petsmart back and apologize... It was VERY honest of you especially considering they had already taken fault for it. Unfortunately many people aren't that honest these days!

So hugs to Jonah and doodle licks for you - Your karma just went up!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts