Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hershey is getting old enough that I am going to start having her jog with me. What is a suitable surface for a dog to run on? They don't have Nike shoes to cushion the pavement, so should I restrict it to grass, like a soccer feild?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
uh, how old is Hershey? if your doodle is under at least a year and half old YOU really should not be jogging with your dog! Your doodle is still developing and you can injure tendons, joints and aid in HD possibly if there may be tendency.
Is there any other activity you can do with your doodle and possibly jog alone for own time alone?

Or just tke Hershey to the park and let him run and jump naturally.

this is just opinion only

G

·
Hi Todd
Hershey is almost a year, right? Birthday Boy Soon!!!! :lol:
It seems the larger breed dogs have more warnings for jogging than the smaller ones.
I did find this online:
http://users.visi.net/~lfleck/grreat/bo ... ietex.html
EXERCISE
ALL dogs require exercise. You need to tailor that exercise to the age, ability and condition of the dog. Even our Golden oldies need exercise to stay as young and as active as possible. Start slowly, always consider your dog's age, physical condition and limitations, and make sure it is fun for both of you.

Swimming is the best possible exercise your dog can get. If you are lucky enough to have a nice clean pond, lake or river to let your dog swim in take advantage of it. Please be careful however, to make sure the water is clean of garbage and debris. Your dog can easily cut himself severely on debris under the water. If you have ANY doubt please find another location. After swimming you will need to make sure your dog's ears are clean and you may want to rinse or even bathe your dog to wash away the "pond scum" or salt water. This will help to keep the coat clean.

Walking is good exercise for both of you. It provides time together (something every dog loves); mental stimulation for your dog (so MANY different smells) and physical exercise. If you wish to bike your dog, particular care must be taken. Dogs can easily cut a pad running over sharp rocks or glass. Pads can be scraped or burned running over hot pavement (think of your bare feet!). Jogging on grass will reduce the amount of pounding on the joints. It can be difficult to control both your dog and your bike if you choose to exercise that way. There is a devise called a "Springer" that is designed to help.

A caution to people who have young dogs. In dogs as in children, it is important not to cause an undue amount of stress on a developing body. Many breeders recommend that no serious running or jogging be done with a dog under the age of two. It is felt by some that pounding and stress of joints at a young age could lead to orthopeadic problems later in life. Remember that hip displasia is common in Goldens and it may be wise to take every precaution. This is certainly not a "for sure" so, as with everything, use your best judgement.
Whenever you exercise your dog, whether it is in your back yard, on the beach or at the park. ALWAYS insure you have cool water for your dog to drink. Dogs can quickly be overcome by the heat (see section on hyperthermia). If you do not have access to cool water and/or shade or the weather is hot and/or humid DO NOT EXERCISE YOUR DOG!! The only way your dog has to cool off is through panting. Heat and humidity can severely impair the effectiveness of panting. If your dog can not cool down and collapses from the heat you have very little time to try and help. Brain damage or death can quickly result.

When you exercise your dog you need to remember many of the same precautions people need to remember when they work out. Care must be taken not to push your dog too far or too fast. Dogs can experience stiff muscles, cramping, aches and pains, too. If you and your dog are "weekend warriors" you can both expect to be stiff and sore on Monday morning. Consistent workouts (i.e.: walks, swims, fetch sessions, etc.) during the week will help to keep you both in shape.

Many dogs will continue until they drop in an effort to keep up if they feel that is what their master wants. This does not mean that your dog is stupid, it means our dog has a high will to please, please you that is. You, as the master, must decide when it is too hot, too humid, too cold, or too far.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hershey is coming up on a year. My wife and I have read that jogging can start anywhere from 8 months up to 2 years depending on the site we look at, its a little confusing. Caution is always best, so iguess we will stick to fetch and walks for us, and the wrestle/sprint fest at the dog park every couple days.

I was just thinking that jogging for 20-30 minutes with me would be way less exercise than equal time romping with her Labby friends at the park. I am in moderate jogging shape at best.

Thanks for the advice as always.

G

·
I don't think anyone really knows for sure and I truly believe that people are so afraid of HD they will err on the side of caution in their recommendations. There are plenty of dogs (mine included) who developed HD and it just had to be genetic only because she was diagnosed so young and did none of the activities that are so often implicated in HD.
My vet has told me that there are alot of undiagnosed dogs out there with HD because until the symptoms show up at around age 7 or 8 there is no reason to check for it. BUT, the HD is still there and has been since an early age. (Bella was diagnosed at 7 months).
I think when there is no cause for something (except genetics) people always want a reason and to be able to say my dog is safe because I did not do "X".
But I guess I would rather be safe than sorry, like you. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts