Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these things are common but I'm freaking out a bit :(

We collected Jofi from the doggy hotel a few hours ago. It was her first weekend away.

She was absolutely filthy when we picked her up so when she got home we gave her a bath. It was at that point I discovered something in her back leg but didn't realise what it was - thought it was a spot or a splinter.

When she settled down, I took a closer look. It's a big tick. I don't know how long she's had it for - she's been away since Saturday. At the moment it's 11pm at night on a national holiday - so a vet visit is out of the question until tomorrow.

We have tweezers but nothing specific for tick removal. What should we do?

a) should I attempt to remove the tick myself? Very scared at this idea - don't want to leave the head in her.
b) is it safe for me to wait for tomorrow morning and take her first thing to the vets to have it done?
c) I read online that the tick MUST be removed within 24 hours - what if Jofi has had this tick for longer?

Please help - I'm really worried about Jofi and feel awful for letting her go to that kennel - never again :(

Libby

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
if you can..remove the tick ASAP..use tweezer s and pull from the head..
important to get as much of it intact as well and the wash with alchol..

it could have disease so keep the tick and have the vet. take a look at it..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ticks actually come out quite easily. Use the tweezers and get down as close to the head as you can and just pull. It will come out. There should not be any problems, but the next vet visit, I would have him checked for lymes disease, and apply frontline or a tick preventative on him. Good luck.. I had two rescue dogs once that I had to remove at least 60 ticks from them, and they are both happy and healthy to this day, which was 3 yrs ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Deepnite and Shannon,

I first tried with tweezers but was scared I'd pop it so got surgical gloves and eased it out by hand. It came out whole - still alive - gross! I've put it in a container and I cleaned the area.

Is there anything I should look out for in Jofi? She's really sleepy but I think this whole experience has been rather traumatic.

60 ticks!! Wow! That must have been painstaking work - I'm glad your rescues have been healthy ever since. I'm such a worrier but Jofi is my baby :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
anytime i've found a tick i wrap it in plastic and put it in freezer bag, then put it in the freezer for month or so just to be safe in case anything develops.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am glad you took the tick out. That is important. Put the tick in a tightly sealed jar with a little alcohol and it can be tested for diesease. Ticks don't die easily, don't flush it down the toilet and don't think you can squish it. Either save it as mentioned, or burn it.
If you save it they can be certain by testing the tick whether or not your dog has been exposed.
Ticks inject something to numb the spot where they enter and it will sometimes cause "tick paralysis" and the dog may not be able to move/walk or he may be shaky...this requires immediate antibitoics and treatment.
Usually, I have anitibiotics on hand to give my dogs whenever they have ticks...any tick borne disease will be treated with antibiotics and it also fights the paralysis...so I ask my vet for antibiotics whenever we have a tick...if it is a bad infestation, I ask for a shot and pills. But with only one tick, if you get it completely out and clean the area, I would think that oral antibiotics would be good.
You can, of course, wait to see if symptoms develop, but it is better to treat quickly so that the dog doesn't get sick, if possible.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We found a tick in Dex last year - we took him (and the tick after we removed it) to the vet. They put him on antibiotics just to prevent any problems. I think they tested the tick and said it was fine (but would rather be safe than sorry w/the meds). I would try to get to the vet tomorrow, and just keep an eye on her tonight.

I bet she was happy to see you :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

Jofi was practically doing cart-wheels when we arrived to collect her - I've never seen her sooo happy to see us!

I'll give the vet a call tomorrow - antibiotics might be a good idea.

She also had a peeing accident this evening... on our bed :( - her last accident was when she was about 4/4.5 months - probably stress I guess. She's sleeping peacefully now - all clean and fluffy and looking like her good old self.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts