Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marley has offically hit 6 months and new little things are popping up.
The one I am really having a hard time dealing with is jealousy.
In my house I have...
Marley 6 mon. old LD-Male
Tuesday(his mom) 2 going on 3yrs.-Female
Reba- a little mini-pin 6 yrs.- Female
Lizzy- an old little mini-pin 14yrs- Female

When I reach out to another dog, Marley will quicky put his body inbetween myself and the dog I am reaching out to.
When I pet his mom-Tuesday, he will pinch at her with his front teeth. (Tuesday won't snap at him & I don't understand. She would discipline him as a puppy but won't now.)
When out-side with the little dogs, I will hear Marley and Lizzy barking loud, open the door, & the 2 of them act like they are screaming at each other with the barking.
When ever little Reba comes in, he will snap at her back legs. I REALLY what to stop this as he has already hurt her. Her little legs are so delicate and the potential for him to hurt her bad is there.
Is anyone familiar on the Dog whisperer's method on dealing with this?
Is this a result of him being a male in a house of females?
I just REALLY want to nip this behavior in the butt! Outside of this, he is a very affectionate dog & super smart. He is also becoming quite protective of me.
Any ideas??? :(

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i ve got 3 dog s in the house so i can understand the how they can get jealous of one another...

to keep anyone of them from feeling left out i try to be as inclusive as i can..in treats, meal s, walk s..anything to let them know that i luv them all equally..stroke one , stroke them all..

then there are time s when i let each know how special they are to me..

then about the nipping.. :? ..i can happen anytime..but, where i can i try to protect the smaller of the dogs..a mini-pin by spraying his behind with
some stuff i got from Petco called Bitter Yuck ..it s non toxi and the taste is real nasty :oops:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When one gets a treat, they all get a treat. I used to walk Tuesday & Reba together, but since Marley has been able to go on the trails, I only take Tuesday & Marley on walks as I can only handle the 2 of them right now. Reba gets the occasional ride in the car and both Reba & lizzy get to lay under the covers with me when I lay down on the couch. Reba always gets the coveted spot...next to my chest. Tuesday has always been bothered by it but is never mean. She will come up and poke her with her nose, mainly just to aggrivate her. :twisted:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JUDI, 6mos is the stage of jealousy and also sometimes being territorial over toys, bones, food etc.
i call it the "ME-egocentric" stage just like a 3 or 4 year old gets hahhahahaa

Beau ...in his 6th mo, if he didn't listen and got what i call obnoxious with Max, then he'd get a time out to sit by me and settle. I'd do this up to 3times a day. The other thing is Beau got 30min lie downs alone next to me while Peanut and Max were free to play.

6mos is where they push buttons......BEAU is super laid back , easy going etc but needed to be shown his place so to speak.

another thing, if i am treating all 3 and Beau tried to take the other doodles food or got to "ME>>Only ME" he got omitted from treat time then. and in severe cases , crate time where he usually would drift off to sleep.
I have found both peanut and beau would get obnoxious if tired and a nap put them back into their happy go lucky personality with better manners being exhibited after their nap.

OH the NOSE nudging hahhaaaaaa if they don't have to go potty and say BEAU wants all the attention and is too persisitent, he gets a
sit or lie down and no attention till he's calm and lets me pet the other two.

dont know if this helps but maybe gives you an idea on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I get it....I am raising another obnoxious toddler!
I like the "time out" thing. We were walking on our trail the other day & I saw a gal with her 2 dogs coming towards me. Marley took off towards them. I called him....he would stop & look back, go towards them some more....this kept up until he made it to the lady & her dogs. That would explain his change in listening to me! Tuesday came by my side like she is supposed to & Marley went socalizing....
I walked over & put him on the leash & let Tuesday visit.
I guess I just needed to know that this "not listening" stuff is temporary..he has been so good so far! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
We had Carol's daughter's 11 month old German Shorthaired Pointer for the weekend and our 6 month old Ozzie turned into a jealous little terror! If we gave them both identical treats, Ozzie would take the treat away from the Pointer and would guard it ferociously. He also ate the other dog's food and drank his water like he was obsessed! Ozzie thoroughly intimidated this dog, 5 months older than him and incredibly powerful, by displaying his crocodile-like set of teeth and growling like a junkyard dog.

I'll have a pictorial of these two posted tonight.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
by displaying his crocodile-like set of teeth and growling like a junkyard dog.

I'll have a pictorial of these two posted tonight.
hahhaaa PLEASE post it! hahhaaaaaaaaaaa i'd love to see it
and i am Glad to know i am NOT alone with a doodle that finally passed the 6mos "all mine" attitude . BEAU has done the same to Max :roll:
silly doodle doesn't he know Max is 4in taller and 20lbs heavier ahhaaa
i tell ya these younguns dont' give their elders any respect :shock: :wink: :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts