Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie is 8 months old. She's started to jump up and freak out a little when anyone hugs ME. :shock:

At first, we thought it was funny. Now, I want to put an end to it. What should I do?? Today I put her in a sit/stay and hugged my son for a long time...she kept trying to get up and get between us but I'd put her back in a sit/stay. I want to desensatize her. Is there anything else I should be doing?? Once she stayed put and we hugged for awhile, I praised her and petted her.

Any ideas or is anyone else familiar with this?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I would teach her "off" Everytime she jumps up tell her off
Reward with praise(treat) and keep repeating, or leash her up
with foot on leash so when she tries to jump up she cannot.
All of this takes time but she will get it..............
I would also get down to her level and include your son and yourself
with her for a hug, after she has listened to the "off command"

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey there,

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Sounds like the same old problem, for some reason she thinks that she is the leader. I think if you use the Cesar Millan method, 'calm-assertive' energy when she starts to react and put her back in the sit (or maybe even down) then she should get the message... Praising after you've gotten the reaction that you want.

We had a problem w/ Manchego thinking that he owned the futon. When we would touch him he would growl. It only took me a day of saying no and pushing him off to get the message across. Now if I even walk towards the futon he jumps off. The calm-assertive energy works great for us.

Good luck!

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie is not aggressive and knows that I AM THE ALPHA, however... when anyone goes in for a hug, he is right there. I always think he wants in on the fun. He just thinks its one big wrestle game. And its not just me... if anyone in the family is physical, he wants to play too.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Keep up the great work.........she'll start to get the idea real soon :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
I somehow missed the jumping part before. With our doodles we actually step into them if they jump up... even if that means you have to move backwords to move into them. This way they learn to respect your space no matter what you are doing. So maybe move into her space and then put her back in sit or down?

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My dogs are all jealous of each other but it is never anything agressive. I just get those pathetic poodle eyes from the Labradoodles, and then everyone gets hugs.......
Isn't jealousy a common thing with poodles? :?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She definately wants in on the fun but it's more than that. She's jealous and somewhat upset/offended. NOT to the point of growling or barking though. I just have to nip it in the bud. I will step into her space when she starts to jump up.
I just have to keep up with hugging people in front of her every day while she's sitting and watching. I can't let her move. Then, when she behaves, I'll give her attention.

ETA: one more question/problem...she'll paw at me to get my attention while I'm doing something else. NOT to go to the bathroom mind you, bascially she's saying PET ME NOW, PAY ATTENTION TO ME NOW! Do I correct that or just ignore it and wait until she has her paws off of me to give her attention??????????

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
ETA: one more question/problem...she'll paw at me to get my attention while I'm doing something else. NOT to go to the bathroom mind you, bascially she's saying PET ME NOW, PAY ATTENTION TO ME NOW! Do I correct that or just ignore it and wait until she has her paws off of me to give her attention??????????
Kirby does this!! Our prob with him is that sometimes it is because he needs to go potty (he has a few ways to tell us). Usually he is just overly tired. We get him to lay down when he does this - then I'll pet him once he's calm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our trainer said to make them sit before giving them affection. Make it so that you are in control of doling out whatever they need. Like going in and out. Make them sit. I guess they see it as you more in control. Wally will come up to me while i'm on the computer and nuzzle his muzzle :) under my arms. It is so hard not to pet him right away. At first i thought the trainer was going to tell me not to respond. But she said you can respond, just make him sit. That's one take on it, anyway....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts