Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a doodle that acts jealous? When my husband is involved with any other dogs/puppies/young children Charlie, our year old doodle, barks, tries to get in between and sometimes even growls. He could care less if I am the one petting or playing with someone else. Just recently our neighbor got a puppy and we (myself and my neighbor) had them both playing in the back yard and they were getting along fine. Later that night when my husband came home and we all went out Charlie wasn't as nice to the puppy. My husband says that Charlie is establishing dominance...but I think he's just being mean (considering Charlie wasn't doing that before). Any thoughts or advice? What should we do in future situations? Should my husband tell Charlie "no" continue to pet the puppy? I don't like the possessiveness.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Jenny,
The important thing is not to give in to that behavior or let it affect what you do in any way. You wouldn't reinforce a child's throwing a temper tantrum when you talked to someone else, and you shouldn't allow it with your doodle, either. He needs to learn that if he wants attention he has to sit quietly, or follow some other command. If he discovers that he can change your behavior by barking he'll ontinue to do it and it will become worse, because he will have learned that you follow his orders rather than vice versa.

A dog that growls at his owner is never okay, and is a harbinger of future problems if it's not dealt with right away.

I'm sure others will have suggestions. A good book which deals with those issues as well as other training situations is Brian Kilcommon's "Good Owners, Great Dogs." He notes that you have a pushy dog if he takes charge of your home and barks when he wants you to do something or nudges you for rewards. He says,"...if he nudges you and you pet him, ... what he understands is that he commanded you and you obeyed." He states, "Unfortunately, dog training is an all-or-nothing venture. You can't expect respect from your dog if you wait on him hand and foot. Why should he obey 'Come' outside when he doesn't obey 'Sit' inside? If you want him to obey you, I suggest that you turn every interaction around. Command him to do things for you before you do things for him."

Hope this helps!

Leslie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great point about comparing it to a child throwing a fit. The next time we are in that situation we'll be sure to make him sit or lay down until it is his turn to get attention. I just think that it is wierd that he doesn't behave that way with me. When I mentioned that he growled, it wasn't at us, it was at the "other" thing trying to get my husband's attention (other dog or puppy). It's like he's saying "stay away". Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts