Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already posted this, but...

For some goofy dog reason, Jaxy will not stay outside by himself, in fact he wont even let us shut the door when we let him out. We have to stand there and watch him do his business and parol the backyard, graze, play etc...

We have an enclosed yard in a pretty quiet neighborhood and there is nothing and no one "scary" around.

We would consider leaving the door open, but we have two house cats that CAN NOT go out (or they may become coyote food). We will probably eventually get an electronic doggy-door, but it is not in our immediate plans.

Anyway, Jaxy is 11 mos. old and I thought he would have gotten past this "phase" by now.

Does anyone have any advice??? :?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Our Gus is kinda like that. He needs either me or Hershey out with him. When we need him to go out by himself we give him a meaty bone or a raw hide, pigs ear, something he loves to chew on and it keeps him busy and he has got a little used to outside alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Taryn -

I am having a similar problem: Gunner (who we adopted two weeks ago) will also not stay outside by himself. When he is on his runner, he is fine as long as he can see a person. As soon as he can no longer see a person he gets separation anxiety. He starts barking - stops as soon as he sees a person again. Even in the person is just in his view but is completely ignoring him.

At his fomer home he was outside on invisible fence. He was often alone in the sense that his family were not home, but he lived in a city neighborhood and could see other people, cars, moms with strollers, kids on bikes, etc. Now he is in the country and can see no one if we disappear from view.

He does feel secure in his crate. He sleeps in his crate in the kitchen and is fine. He also sleeps all nite in his crate and is fine. He is only insecure when outside.

Please, please, can anyone out there help Taryn and I with our insecure doodles??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mary -

We have three indoor cats, a rabbit and now Gunner. If I suggest to my husband that we need a second dog to keep Gunner company while outside, I will end up in divorce court!!

I have not tried the rawhide chew idea. He loves those so that might help. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried leaving his site for a few minutes them coming back, and repeating my coming and going. No progress so far, but then since we only got him two weeks ago, maybe I have not given him enough time.

Sara

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Taryn L said:
gene said:
I had a cocker spaniel that never grew out of it. He lived to be almost 15.
Uh oh! :shock:
Peche was so bad that if I went into the bathroom when company came over and didn'e let him in, he'd cry like I disappeared through a secret door in the wall and was never coming back.... :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
A second dog is not the answer, at least not for us. We got Lexi to keep wally company, and they DO play together in the yard and it has helped with exercising him, but he STILL almost always wants a PERSON out there with him. It is a bit annoying. And he has started "yelping" at the door to get in, even with Lexi out there. Now SHE, on the other hand, will either stay outside alone or i open the door to find her quietly laying there. GOOD dog! I like the idea of giving a rawhide or something to keep them busy. Sometimes Wally will go and sit out for a while in the mornings and be content. But usually he is bothering us to be out with him.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver will stay out if one of us is there, otherwise
he just comes back in after doing his business to hang out with us......

G

·
Maya was like that for a long time and I just let her bark until she got tired. She finally just stopped about 3 mos ago. I think she finally realized she is stuck with me and I'm not going anywhere.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Every day i try to tell Max and Peanut I wasn't put on this earth to entertain them all day long hahhaaaaaaaaaaa

meaning, they do NOT want to go out on porch UNLESS i am with them.
in the house they follow me better than my own shadow :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Ours really don't like to be outside alone for long either...I think it's a doodle thing - they just love to be with people. Kirby will go off himself for a bit...however after 5-10 minutes he is at the door wanting to come in. Even when they are outside together, it's normally 10-15 minutes and I see 2 doodles sitting at the door staring at me - they just always want to be with us.

I guess what I'm saying is that you may need to continue to go out with Jaxy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Taryn L said:
[quote="annabelles mom":35edjsqb]Maybe another doggie to keep Jaxy company :wink:
Yeah, we're definitely talking about getting another dog early next year.[/quote:35edjsqb]

problem solved then! :)

shaia is like this too. not that we have the luxury of having a yard, but when we take her to my brother's with his nice, big wonderous fenced yard, shaia spends all her time on the porch staring woefully through the window unless i'm out with her. i've snuck in a couple times and it'd be a while before she noticed, but unfortunately, i don't have a more scientific answer :wink:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bailey is 10 months old today and doesn't like to be outside alone either. He usually just sits at the door waiting for someone to let him in. He loves to be outside if we are there though.

He has gotten a bit better though. I initially put his bed on the deck with a new bone and he seemed to realize if his bed is there he should just lay down and relax. Still checks the door frequently but will leave and walk around or lay on his bed. I really want him to get used to be outside alone as when he is in the house alone he is locked up in the kennel. If we are gone for a short period I would love for him to at least enjoy the deck outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dudley has gotten better over the last 3 weeks since we took him home. I think the rawhide might be good advice to try in the meantime.

Just don't come running whenever Jaxy barks. That reinforces the bad behavior. If he barks, then someone comes to play with him. If he barks while outside, take his collar and put him in his kennel for 10 minutes. When he is quiet, magically appear with a treat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First off I want to say that Jaxy is adorable! He looks so much like my Ari! :D

Secondly - we have the SAME exact problem with Ari. (He just turned 12 months old today).

We adopted Ari two months ago and we've been working with him on it ever since. He's getting better - but definitely not 100%.

He always seems excited to go outside, however he refuses to walk out of the door alone. But if we walk out with him, he immediately wants to follow us back inside. And it's impossible for us to go out with him every single time he has to potty.

Basically what we started doing was opening the door, taking him by the collar and gently leading him out of the door (without us stepping out of the door). Once he went out by himself, we praised him like crazy and gave him a treat. This has seemed to help some because when he won't go out and he sees us to to reach for his collar, he'll walk out of the door by himself.

I wish I knew what made him do this. I don't know if it's just the fact that he doesn't want to be alone in the yard (which he seems to have no problem with) or the fact that maybe he had gotten his tail or something slammed in a door at his previous home? It boggles my mind, but like I said, it something we continue to work on.

Good luck to Jaxy! Hopefully he will overcome all of this! :)

Cheers!
Kari & Ari

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They certainly are characters!

Well it definitely seems like our doodles have that in common! They all love us and need us...even if it's just having us watch them do their business. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts