Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaxy had a raw hide in his throat this morning and I was trying to pull it out but couldnt. So, I gave him a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit the rawhide up.

Anyway, he vomited and in his vomit were about three "spaghetti-shaped" worms. It was HORRIBLE!!!

So we took him to the vet and got some medication. The vet said that he was the oldest dog he had ever known of to vomit worms (he is 11 mos.)

Anyone...have a similar experience???

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oh Poor Jaxxy!
Were they parasites???

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh poor thing
Only experienced this with cats and they were put on
meds by vet. Cleared up within a couple of days.......
Never had a problem with any of the nine cats since................

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
A friend had bought a GSD pup that was about 8 weeks old, and called me one night in a panic. The puppy had sneezed and had the same type worm you're talking about sticking about 3" out of his nose! These ugly buggers can reach about 7" long, so she was afraid to pull it out in case it was attached to anything. I went over and pulled it out for her, she got wormer the next day and the pup was fine. lol

Because Roundworm can be transmitted to humans, it is important to wash your hands regularly. Transmission of this dog worm to humans is usually through infected soil, which may be in your lawn. Because the eggs are sticky and can easily adhere to hands or clothing, make sure children (and adults) wash hands after playing outside, after playing with the dog and before it’s time to eat.

If you think they're gross coming out of a puppy, you don't want to see them in a human!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sounds like roundworm or whipworm. Many years ago, one of my adopted Huskies came to me with it... he threw up what looked like a dish of spaghetti! Not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Oh Jaxy I hope you feel better soon. I am not good with that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Hope the worming meds work soon and your doodle is back to normal

I've seen these worms once years ago with a puppy....i'd say they can alarm you for sure :wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wishing Jaxy a quick recovery - poor thing :(

Jofi had something similar when she was about 4 months old - she sicked up liquid with a live wriggling worm in it!! The worm looked like a piece of spaghetti. Testing her poop showed she had worms and a parasite in her intestines. We had given her dewormer meds but it seemed they just hadn't killed them all. At the time, the vet said she'd probably eaten something nasty while walking outside - I guess something similar has happened with Jaxy.

The good thing, is it should respond well to the right meds - hopefully it will all be cleared up soon. It's not something for the squeamish!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello All! Thank you for you concern! We really appreciate it.
Seeing this made me so concerned that it actually over-road my disgust and quite frankly it was one of the most disgusting things I've seen.

We took Jaxy to the vet with my parents new puppy.

They just gave them some deworming meds...so hopefully the meds will make them all better quickly!!! Jaxy is such a licker that it is hard to remember that he shouldnt lick us or to stop him. He seems to be feeling much better today and back to his hold self.

I just hate the thought of the parasites inside him. Ugh!!! Its gross.

Luckily this is a pretty common situation, so the vet pretty much checked them out, gave us meds and just asked us to bring is a stool sample in 7 days after the meds are finished.

:?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aw poor Jaxy!! Hope all is well soon.........for Jaxy AND you! That had to be awful!! YUK!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You did the right thing...I hope that Jaxy is better soon!

I've never had dogs or puppies vomit live worms! I have only seen them dead, in poop, after I deworm.

I routinely deworm my pups but if Jaxy is on heartworm meds then he should be protected quite well from other types of parasites too.

The only time I have to deworm my older dogs is when the pups are infected with worms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts