Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First is about car rides. Leno loves to ride in the car and I always put the back windows down for him so he can stick his head out the window. And I see other dogs doing it all the time too. But some people say its not good for them because they can get sand or whatever in their eyes. If they did get sand is there a way to clean the eyes out like people can do...or is it recommended they dont ride in the car with their head out?

Next question is about crates. I see that just about everyone here has a crate for their dog, and I have not gotten one yet. Leno is 11 months now and he doesnt get into stuff or chew on things. Sometimes he gets into the garbage can. But if we go anywhere without him he is left to roam free in the house, and I dont have to worry about coming home to a disaster. Should I get a crate for him anyway? will a crate help me in the long run?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You are lucky!!! Wow, nice work with Leno!
I'd say at this point the crate isn't essential. If you want to get him one, so that if you eveyr have to do any serious travelling with him, he's used to it, that would be good. Even to just give him a little den, it would be nice. But no it doesn't sound like you need one at all.

The car ride thing. It's not only bad for their eyes, but also their ears. Know the way it feels if you've ever been on a really fast boat? Well I do, and I get earaches from wind in my ears all the time. It can eventually lead to deafness also.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know I've seen something on the internet called "doggles." They're goggles for dogs. Really. I used to know a guy who had a side car on his motorcycle and his dog wore them when he rode in the side car!

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you have power windows becareful Leno doesn't figure out how to step on the button and close them. Some have the switch where you push it back or forward so the window goes down or up. Dogs have got their heads caught accidently pushing the button and closing the window. In our car you have to lift the button to raise the window. Chester has figured out if he steps on the button the window will go down. Now we lock them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got a crate for otto, to sleep in until he is house trained, but he hates it. We dont go out and leave him, as he gets upset in the crate, but he would destroy everything at eight weeks old if not crated. I dont know what else to do, even leaving in the kitchen he finds something to chew.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The crate isnt necessary but I would get him one, so he has a little place to himself, I know Riley goes in there when he is tired.

You should definately keep his head in the car, it can dry out the dogs eyes and of course the other stuff above!

·
Registered
215 Posts
About the car window situation- I think it is very dangerous. They can get debris stuck in their eyes. Also, I was walking my dogs a few weeks ago and a car drove by with a shepherd mix in the back seat with the windows down 2/3 of the way. The dog started to bark at my dogs, and then all of a sudden he jumped out of the car. Luckily, the driver was only going about 25 or 30 mph and he stopped right away. I saw that the car did not run over the dog, but the fall had to have hurt. The dog was not seriously hurt, but it scared me and the dog's owner. He said that the dog had never done that before. What shocked me the most was that the window was not even rolled down all the way. I used to leave the windows down half-way for the dogs, but I don't anymore. Just another thing to think about...

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Just about all that I have to say has been very well said already...except that I would consider a crate for one more reason...you never know when you will have to take Leno to a vet or kennel...and it is so much better if he is already comfortable confined like that...if not, it can be really traumatic.

Here is a good info site regarding crate training: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for such great advice...we have decided to keep his window up for the most part....sometimes through town its down, since the a/c in my car just broke and it gets very hot. But main roads and highways the window is up. He isnt too happy about it but he'll be ok!

And we've decided to hold off on a crate for now. He is a good boy and doesnt get into stuff when we arent home...as for his "personal space" or sometimes even his "time-out space" is his dog pillow. If he gets into something or is getting a bit hyper I just say "go lay on your pillow" and he does. Its also a place he likes to play with toys or take naps.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, I read this after I replied to the post about the bed...I didn't know that he had a pillow or that he knew to go there...that is a good thing to make him do when he gets on the bed too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts