Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 3 month old labradoodle has taken to flying around the back yard when we want her to come in. Calling her name to come, offer her treats nothing was working. I remembered that she is afraid of the bigger dogs barking in the neighborhood, so I began a deep loud bark and she came flying over to me like she had been shot out of a canon!! It's good to be mom! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its good to be able to outsmart them when you need to!
Chester goes through phases of ignoring us when we call him in. I end up shaking the box of Cheddar Cheese Goldfish Crackers out the door and he comes running.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have used the "treat shake" too...and my dogs know the word "treat" so if I say, "I have a treat!" they all come running!

Seriously, training a dog to come is the hardest, and most important command...and I have been told (and read) that you never give the command to come unless you can enforce it.

You put the dog on a long leash (50' lead) and put him in the sit/stay position, then walk away....when you get far, you say "come" and don't repeat the command...if the dog comes, be ready with a really yummy treat (not just any old treat, but something like hotdogs or liver treats, something he really loves.) If he doesn't come, start to reel him in with the leash, when he gets to you, praise him and treat, then put him in sit/stay and do it again.

If you have two people, or more, you can get in across from each other (far away, using the long leash) and one of you has the dog, petting him and talking to him...the other calls his name and says "come". If the dog comes to you...same as above, if not, same as above. Then the other person calls him back...repeat.

Do this often until they learn that every time you say come, you will do something very special...it is VERY IMPORTANT that you NEVER scold or discipline the dog after he comes to you. It is also important that you don't say "come" and then stop the fun...this just lets the dog learn that something bad will happen if he comes. You should reward, praise, and continue to play or walk around, but on leash...then gradually go inside.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Does anyone else have that feeling of extreme pride when their dog does come running after being called? In especially distracting places---like the dog park---for instance.
At the dog park we visit we let Chester have the lead and we follow him since it is a dog park and dogs rule. So I was totally impressed by him when we called him to come and he did. He just popped his head up and looked at us then came tearing across the field ears in full flopping mode and tongue wagging. I had expected some resistance since I would think the dogs really are far more interesting to him.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That was me, Chesterpal, incase you couldn't tell by the reference to Chester :lol:
I forgot to log in.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. We have just started obiedence training, this will help. Is there an age issue with the "come" command or is it all repitition? We have never raised a puppy before so we are new to all this. Any ideas on what to look for in a doodle when trying to decide whether to breed? The vet asked if we are going to spay or not. She is a beautiful doodle, Maybe?
I can't post any picts but if you check out this link you will see Noelani, aka Lani. Lisa

http://www.idog.biz/Gallery/PhotoGalleryLAB4.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
GREAT advice Jac! I do believe I would have been proud as punch also Chesterpal if my dog chose me over new canine companionship!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Lisa,

She's beautiful! Looks a lot like our two girls when they were little. They also started out chocolate and slowly started turning cafe (not tooo much whitening, just enough to make it interesting ;) ). They're mom was a chocolate lab, dad was a cafe poodle.

Great photography by the way!

Michael.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ooooh how cute! Lani is a beautiful puppy! I love chocolate color...well, and silver, and cream...and red...you know, I don't believe I have found a puppy color that I don't like!
Great pics, thanks for posting them!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Michael, your girls are beautiful! Lani's mom is a dark chocolate lab and dad is a cafe aulait (spelling?) standard poodle. We have seen pictures of a 14 month old with the same dad and he looked like he had been frosted. He has a lot of cream color on his muzzle. Can't wait to see how Lani will look at that age. Glad you liked the photos, photography is kind of a passion for me. I'll post more photos as I can, I love to see all the different doodles!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts