Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone..I've been looking around trying to find an answer on my own, but Im having no luck. Im sure this has been brought up before and with my luck I passed it during my search!!!

Anyway, Leno is constantly itching and biting himself. The worse spot is on his back near his tail. I really dont think its fleas because he gets flea stuff from the vet every month along with our cats. I've seen some flakes too where he is biting. Someone told me to bathe him with Head & Shoulders, is that something I should try?? seems weird to me!!

Im trying to avoid a vet bill and treat this on my own and im sure someone has an answer here!!! :D

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Brooke, my groomer and doodle-owning friend would tell you a LOUD NO! don't use human shampoo, because we have a different Ph balance to our skin than dogs do!

I would start with changing foods - find out if you have been feeding a food with corn? Or have you been using human shampoo on your Leno already? If so I'd give him some Vitamin E and some EFA's in his food.

I can't remember what else so I'll stop now. :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Brooke,

I had the same problem with my Border Collie. She was to the point she had a sore on her lower back (just above the tail). I took her to the vet and they said that she most likely gotten bit by a flea and that was driving her crazy. I was in disbelief that this was fleas. She was on the Program pill regularly. She didn't have fleas but only had gotten bit by one. So I changed flea medication to the Frontline Plus and started bathing her every week with HyLyt Shampoo. I also use the HyLyte Conditioner. It didn't take long and her skin and coat are beautiful. She loves the bathes too. That shampoo is mild enough you can bath your dog more often.

Hope this helps.

Marty

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My son had a similar problem with his Rottie and after reading someting on this site, I told him to try Kirkland dog food from Costco. It's relatively inexpensive yet has no grains (I believe). It worked wonderfully for him--no more doggie itching!! :D I feed Dakota "Blue" which is a great food--no allergy problems at all!!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon has dry skin and she was scratching and biting until we put her on a food supplement with omega 3 oil. It has helped tremendously! We also bathe her with a shampoo with tea tree oil in it. It's a little more expensive than regular dog shampoo, but it lasts a long time because you dilute it. She now has a shiny coat and only scratches once in a while, but hey, everyone has an itch now and then. It took a month to give her full relieve though. It's not an overnight cure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts