Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we adopted him, Sam has been very itchy... The pet store lady said thathe just needed time to go from eating potluck (whatever the shelter got as donations) to Canidae but he's been on Canidae for over 2 months now. Also, the vet didn't see anything wrong at his physical. So she said it was nerves.

He doesn't chew, lick, and scratch at specific spots, he does it all over himself. This morning I invited him up onto my bed and he got ready to jumps, stopped and began scrathcing like a madman. Then he stopped, got ready to jump, and suddenly whirled around, chewing at his backside... He just got a bath w/tea tree and oatmeal last week which helped for a little while.

Is he just itchy because his skin is dry and it's the winter, or is he allergic to something? A friend told us that poodles and labs are prone to allergies so maybe that is the answer? How can you figure out what they are allergic too?

~Alicia and a very itchy scratchy Sampson

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
If it's food allergies, you can try eliminating certain foods one at a time to see if Sam improves.

As much as you say he's itching, I'm surprised the Vet did not suggest something to help stop the itching or try to determine what is causing it, do you have choices of Vets where you live - any Vets that deal with allergies?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree - is Sampson eating much besides his food? If so, I would try cutting out treats to see if it makes a difference.

not all itching is caused by food problems...Sampson may have dry skin. Some people add oil to their diet (I think Omega 3/6 or fish oil)...you could consider this too.

Any chance he has matts in his hair? That could cause itching too.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy was always like that - itchy all over. I thought it was habit, but when his fur started thinning I began eliminating foods from his diet. He started on Canidae all life stages, so we eliminated poultry from his diet and switched to Canidae Lamb & Rice. He is already much less itchy and his coat is coming back curly and shiny. I'm still not satisfied we've figured out all his allergies though, so the vet recommended going grain free - so we are currently making the switch to Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. I'm curious to see if this finally eliminates his itching problem. At $30 for a 15lb bag it better!

Good luck figuring it out! The bath might have done it (warm bath in winter is bad for my two), but food is always my first guess!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The night we brought Rosie home we gave her a bath with oatmeal dog shampoo and she was pretty itchy. I can't say if it was the shampoo or nerves but we had her groomed and I added fish oil, eggs and veggies to her canidae and she is itch free and super glossy. The groomer also used a moisturizing conditioner which I had not used so that could be the difference but it could be the whole combination.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies and tips guys!

His bath usually helps out a bit though... He didn't even get a full one last week either... he backed into wet paint and his bum was all blue so we kind of gave his backside a bath. :lol:

As for vets, out last one just shut down like overnight and we had to look for another one. We went to a local place after reccomendation by friends. There is a couple other places but we haven't decided really where we want to go. We think maybe they didn't give much thought into it because we had only had him for about a month and they kept thinking nerves because he had been abused.

Our neighbor, who is in veterinary school, her first reaction was allergies... So we take him off food items one by one and see if he stops? Could he be allergic to dry cat food? He always sneaks it when we aren't around... My Mom wondered if he could be allergic to the cat???

Is there any other symptoms of food allergies to look for? Could it be another kind of allergy like our detergent or fabric softener?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Allergies to anything is possible, I have over 40 food allergies and 50plus outdoor and environmental allergies - I have had reactions to laundry soaps and dryer sheets, I'm sure a dog can also.
I do think food elimination is a good thing to try though

Good luck !

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette was doing a lot of scratching too, and finally when we brought her to a groomer other than the ones at PetSmart she said she had fleas! I had looked for them and hadn't seen anything, nor had I seen signs of flea dirt, but she said that she only had a few so they probably weren't that visible. After treating her with Frontline the itching was greatly reduced. The next time I brought her for grooming the groomer said she found one dead flea, so I did Frontline again - this was two months after the first application. I also found a tick on her. But she does seem better now. Prior to that I had tried eliminating corn in food and treats and also adding fish oil to her diet.

Chouette seems very aware of her skin, and gets upset if there's a twig in her fur. So it makes sense that a few fleas were bothering her. We'd had nothing but Great Danes for years before we got her, so it's a totally different ball game! She reacts so differently to things than our Danes did.

Leslie

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We might have another vet take a look at him again. Also, we are goign to try and check his food, but we have half of a BIG bag of Canidae left and Dad doesn't want to waste it all... We're gonna try all hsi treats first and TRY to keep him out of the cat food...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stopped by the vets in the hopes they could take a quick peek, but nope. You need an appointment... They said to have Sam lie down on a white sheet for a day and you will see "flea dirt" that looks like pepper on the sheet if he has fleas. Has anyone tried this before? Does it work?

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can also often see flea dirt on the tummy area. That's why I was puzzled - I never saw any on Chouette. Once I did think I might have seen one flea, but that was a long time ago and I never saw another, nor did I see other signs. I haven't tried the white sheet trick but wonder if that would work with such a minor infestation.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Try a fine toothed comb. A flea comb is great tool to have. If you have fleas, you will be able to pick up flea dirt/live fleas with the comb. Remember, squirrels, birds, mice and all the other little critters out there carry fleas and can trasfer those pesky things to your yard or area where Sammy goes potty.

A flea bath will kill them but not prevent them. Most of us use a topical flea treatment like Frontline or Advantage. You don't want to get these suckers infesting your house. It's a bear to get rid of them.

If it's not fleas, then look at his eyes. Are they red and do they look like they're watery? Does he chew on his feet any? If yes, then it could be an allergy. Good luck with trying to find out exactly what he's allergic to. Could be food, a candle scent, or the carpet. Cinnamon has allergies and we're still working on a cure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldn't the cats be itchy too if Sam had fleas???

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We DEFINITELY are trying to get an appointment at the vet for today...
I was awake most the night (new medication kept me up) and unfortunately, poor Sam was too. Everytime he layed down, he would spring back up and itch. For hours he paced and itched and I felt sooo bad.

I probably shouldn't have, but I gave him a good 10 minute full-body scratch and he finally got some sleep...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
awww poor Sammy! Its not fun watching your dog be so uncomfortable - I hated seeing Sandy like that.

Did you ever wind up finding any fleas on him? When Sandy had them in September I could actually see the fleas on him - all I had to do was part his fur and you could see them scurrying to hide again. VERY gross, especially when you share a BED with the dog!

Good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Poor Sam, I sure hope you can get him into Vet today and they can give him something for the itching, and find out what's causing it. he shouldnt have to be suffering like this :cry:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone!
Sammy did get an appointment today! :D

The checked him all over with a flea comb and didn't find any sign of fleas or flea dirt.
The vet said his skin didn't even look red at all!

The assistant who was keeping Sam from falling off the table (they labled him a "leaner") said "Oh you must be allergic, baby." They said allergies was possible and to keep an eye on him. They never seem to discuss allergies a lot... Odd in my opinion.

We left with some Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in 50 mg doggy-sized capsules that he'll take 3 times a day for 10 days. Also we got ResiSOOTHE leave-on lotion that you put on him after you wet/bathe him and towel dry him. We were also instructed to bathe him in cool water, not warm and not to blow-dry him at all.

He also got a shot (took it very well, good boy!) for mites that he could have picked up at the shelter. The next shot is going to be in 2 weeks and it will also serve as his heartguard for the month.

The cut on his paw pad is healing nicely...
His previous ear infection was cleared up...
He went from 63 lbs to about 68 lbs so he is at a healthier weight now...

So it was a fairly good visit, maybe the itchy scratchies will go away??? I hope so, but we're bracing ourselves for it to be allergies.

Thanks for the concerns, we'll let you know how it goes from here on out!!! :D

~Alicia and Sammy-Doodle

1 - 20 of 57 Posts