Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the Senators know more than the FDA....isn't that reassuring? :roll:
I am writing these senators to thank them, they are doing a great job, no one else seems to care...my Congressman did not even acknowledge my email with a form letter.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18279643/
More tainted pet food protein likely imported
Senators learned of possible second importer through industry sources
Ashley Smith / AP file

Updated: 7:15 a.m. ET April 24, 2007
A second company likely imported rice protein from China that was contaminated with a chemical linked to a major pet food recall, two U.S. senators said on Monday.

Rice protein tainted with the chemical melamine was used in pet foods from at least five manufacturers who obtained the protein from one supplier, U.S. officials have said. It also made its way into feed used at a California hog farm.

Now, another company is suspected of importing rice protein from China, Democratic Sens. Richard Durbin of Illinois and Maria Cantwell of Washington said in a letter to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

"We have learned that in addition to Wilbur-Ellis, a second United States company imported a shipment of rice protein from China that is also likely to be contaminated with melamine," the senators wrote. "We request the FDA identify this second importer as well as those manufacturers to which it may have sold the contaminated product."
An aide to Durbin said the senators found out about the second importer from industry sources.

If confirmed, that could further expand a pet food recall that so far includes more than 100 brands. FDA officials have confirmed 16 deaths of cats and dogs from kidney failure and have received more than 15,000 reports of illnesses.

The senators' letter came ahead of a congressional hearing on Tuesday to examine the pet food scare as well as the larger issue of human food safety before a U.S. House of Representatives committee.

FDA spokeswoman Cathy McDermott said so far the agency is only aware of one rice protein importer, Wilbur-Ellis Co., but the investigation is ongoing.
The agency has said the rice protein was supplied by China-based Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. Ltd. but the company has denied involvement.

Last week, privately held Wilbur-Ellis said contaminated rice protein was distributed to several pet food makers. Three of them - Natural Balance Pet Foods, the Blue Buffalo Co. and Diamond Pet Foods - have pulled some of their products.

Wilbur-Ellis and the FDA declined to name the other two makers. Durbin and Cantwell called on the agency to make those two companies publicly known.

Melamine, used in plastics and fertilizer, was earlier found in wheat gluten used in pet foods. Menu Foods, Procter & Gamble Co., Colgate-Palmolive Co., Nestle SA and Del Monte Foods Co. have all recalled pet products made with the gluten.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At this point I would certainly be checking all labels and feed nothing containing rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or corn gluten. (Corn gluten was implicated in many recent South African pet deaths). South Africa banned all gluten imports from China. China is now allowing our investigators to enter their country. I am sure they will find that the Chinese companies were 'protein spiking' the product with melamine (a common way to up the protein percentage so the product sells for more money.)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wouldn't feel too bad about the lack of response to email. Members of Congress get thousands of emails everyday, so many are really not read. Faxing your rep is a good way to communicate (snail mail is extra slow in DC since most people are afraid of it since the anthrax), but the best way to contact is to call. You can call the capitol switchboard and they will connect you to the office you ask for. The number is 202-224-3121. It is fun to call and voice your opinion. And, on the subject, I would suggest that the FDA needs to exercise more oversight over not only our pets' but our food supply also--there was an article in the Washington Post recently (maybe yesterday) that said the FDA was aware of problems at the plant that produced the salmonella-contaminated peanut butter that is being recalled, and at the spinach processor where the bad spinach came from last year.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda, once again thank you for your diligence and love of all animals, and for keeping us all informed on what is going on...scary as it may be. Hats off to you!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awwww, you are too sweet :oops:
This whole fiasco is horrible and it helps to vent my outrage here with friends who understand :) .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's making me mad that whenever I read the back of any pet snacks they all seem to be made in China. I had smoked chicken breasts from Costco in my basket on Saturday but returned them to the shelf when I saw there was NO listing of the ingredients and I saw they were made in China. I'm not saying that all things made in China are bad but if the ingredients aren't listed I'm NOT buying the product!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
If more of us boycotted many products from China ...could we give a hint? and/or could any production be brought back to US??? then again China is used due to LOWER costs thus higher profits.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeeks, I think I have those chicken jerky strips from CostCo.

With regards to corn products, China is not the only thing to look out for. FYI, something like 70-80% of the corn grown in the US is genetically modified.

Granted the FDA keeps saying it's safe, but Europeans are quite up in arms about it, as are many holistic practitioners here in the US.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I hear you completely DEB

NOW i wonder what the end result will be of all of this tainted food.

Next will the dog food industry NOW raises prices down the road to recoup from recalled food???? Many of the dry dog food is on SALE here. and i wouldn't buy it if it were for free and delivered to my door. Canned food has me skeptical now.

I know for myself and my family i either grow organic veggies and when i can't i buy them locally from the retired people in my town that do and DON"T charge double for it like the grocery stores. But the rest of our food cannot be bought this way.I freeze what i can but that lasts only so long in my deep freezer.

I wonder what will happen in the end or will there be an end ???

For now like others if i find the ingredients on the label I PUT it back promply!

I also was part of the $26Million Superfund PCP cleanup years ago on Lake Erie in the late 1980's. I got my deed stamped free and clear of PCPs afterwards, sold my home and never went back. IF anyone knew what the EPA and DEC was really like, what they cover up and more...you'd go insane. BUT if you go to speak out against them they make life rough for you. OR so i learned after i was on tv once.

So this should be interesting to see what the final results are for dogs and humans vs tainted foods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts