Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost 2AM here. Hubby had to go to his sons for a semi emergency.
My tired and somewhat sick doodle is doing something he's never done before!
He's running to the living room window and barking! He then comes back to bed just to run back and bark some more.
He's got me kind of wondering what the heck is going on out there, but nothing seems to be.
Could this just be what they do when they're watching out for mom? He normally never barks! :shock:
Here he comes back to me on my PC after a 3 minute barking session and has plopped down. :roll: Lets see how long this lasts! I NEED SLEEP!! :(
I know he's tired and has been sleeping most of the day after his ordeal, but right now he seems REALLY protective and on guard!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nope! Sadie would let anyone in our house and submissive pee and then proceed to lick them and jump all over them. She doesn't have a defensive bone in her body!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Linda - close your bedroom door :) Kirby and Dex would go for a 3 am wrestling session if we didn't have the door shut :)

Nobody would get in our house w/o Kirby telling us...his sense of hearing is incredible...

G

·
Maya also has started barking a lot. I am not sure what she would do if someone came in the house. She is going through a "scared of men" phase. I hope she gets over that!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas never made a peep until recently... he is 9 months now, I was kinda hoping it was a phase...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My DH has been on a business trip for 4 days and Tanner has been on high alert for 4 days....barking at even the slightest sound. Yes, he definitely is in "guard dog mode" when I am here alone.

He also mopes when his dad is gone...Tim got home last night and Tanner is like a different dog...he is so bouncy and happy!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is the protector when i am home alone...he's the best alarm system
Peanut is his backup :wink:
Beau sleeps through alot hahhaaaaa

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Lucky is the watch dog in the family..Sabrina too..but, she s more of an
aggressor if she sense s a dog or stranger becomes aggressive..

Toby..aside from eating, napping..all he want s to do is play and make
friends with anyone..right now i don t see any protective instinct in
him..

is there actually way to bring out his proctective instincts? or does it
just comes out as he matures or perhaps there s none to bring out? :?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke is the friendliest dog I think I have ever seen, but I've also seen a protective side to her too. She growled at a "wino" who approached us behind the office one day, and while I was going through a fast-food drive through, the girl at the window said "oh what a cute doggie" and tapped on the back window where Tyke was sitting - Tyke just gave her a low growl and showed her lovely smile - the message was pretty clear "DON'T TOUCH THE TYKEMOBILE!!" :evil:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson is DEFINITELY more protective when we are alone.
It drives me nuts because he will suddenly spring up and make a huge growly barky fuss at the door or start growlign and looking around at every little sound.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali barks and growls at the sound of the front door opening, even if it's one of us. She'll be at the back of the house in the family room and then take off for the front door all in a lather. As soon as she sees it's one of us, she wags her tail off in relief I think.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia has only begun to bark, and it's very infrequent. often, i'll look outside and have no idea what the fuss is about :) but she has barked at a couple of homeless people and a semi-aggressive guy who once road-raged me, but i think it's more b/c she's scared. her bark lacks confidence and it seems to surprise her when she makes noise :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Moses only barked at people coming in if I was here alone with him.

Canada greets everyone with a warm wiggle and wag unless it's a strange male and she's got pups in the house. Then she gets loud and threatening real quick.

Bella loves everyone and thinks they all love her.

Chips a teddy bear and wouldn't protect his own food dish.

Hickory is scared of everyone and everything... but with reason. We'll have to wait to see if she gets over that enough to want to protect anyone.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Oz-boy is still too young (8 1/2 months) to talk about being "protective", but he's got a powerful bark, big teeth, and a "You don't wanna mess with me, 'cause I'm crazy" appearance. I think he's got good instincts and will act "protective" when the situation calls for it. He may be devious, but he's certainly bold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Holly is 6 months old and has been barking...kinda a lot. She will bark if the doorbell rings, then rush to greet whoever the guest is with wildy wagging tail and jumping up (yeah, I'm working on getting her to stop that...) She pretty much loves everyone and wants to be friendly and play with everyone she sees. :)

However, at night she will bark if she senses something 'unusual' outside. My husband usually goes to bed before me, so it's just me and Holly alone downstairs till I go to bed at about 11:00. Holly will bark at the cat if he's outside, at blowing leaves, at the windchimes when we first put them up, at deer, wind, other barking dogs, etc. So maybe she is 'protecting me...? once a week or so she will wake us up at 3 AM barking at who knows what! I don't mind her being alert, but I don't want to be awakened like that unless it's a real intruder, not the neighbor's cat!! :shock:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great responses! This actually makes me SURE that Bogart took on the GUARD dog that night.
When my husband got home, he went right to sleep and never barked again.
I literally was up with him barking until 6AM. He's 7 months old and this might be a sign of his future being protective of me.
BUT........he will have to learn to let me sleep and only bark if necessary!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Remy is only 20 pounds but she thinks she's a guard dog. We had workmen repairing our garage door yesterday and she wouldn't stop barking at the door leading from the house to the garage. I finally had to gate her at the other side of the house and even then she was "on alert" until they left. I don't know what she would do if someone actually confronted her -- defend or run?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Since Nicky and I are alone together most of the time, it's hard to know what he'd do if we had an intruder. Nicky always keeps a close watch on what's happening outside the house, but he doesn't bark at what he sees outside the windows. He only barks at things when he's outside!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have always wondered as to exactly what Denver
would do if an intruder got in.
He barks and growls at everthing that walks by the house
and he does the same to repairman and the mailman when they are
outside but if they come into the house he is all happy and wants
to give them kisses.
I had a dream about this the other night and in the dream
I hear a noise and go downstairs to investigate as I cannot find
Denver..................Well there is an intruder sitting on my couch
drinking our beer and eating our popcorn. Where is Denver?
Laying in the guys lap getting a belly rub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
bahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I really hope Denver does not do this if it were real

1 - 20 of 21 Posts