Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...FINALLY...Angel is trustworthy in the house after 9 mos. of potty training! One of my fondest memories of my childhood was sleeping with my best friends dog at sleepovers.

Anyway, I want my kids to have the same memory with our dog. BUT...I had a dog before the kids were born and he was very unpredictable when it came to sleeping. He growled at me a couple of times when I tried to move him off my pillow so that I could lay down. It really scared me and I thought that he may have bitten me if I pressed on. It was almost like he was still sleeping and reacted before assessing the situation. My neighbor had a dog that bit her lip off (literally!). She had to have reconstructive surgery after she tried to move her sleeping dog. So I wonder if I should let her sleep with the kids or keep her in her crate at night.

Angel is a totally different dog with a great personality, but I don't want there to be any problems. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
462 Posts
You could probably try it now. Try moving her when she's napping on the floor. Or at night, if you get up at night, try waking her. It should be the same situation as you described with your first dog. Also, you can train them to not do that. So, you can try doing it during the day while she's sleeping. If she growls or anything, then you can correct. You can't fix a problem unless it happens, unfortunately. Too bad dogs don't understand the human language. Training would be so much faster and easier!

G

·
Maya sleeps with me and I guess I have never tried to just move her when she is asleep. If she is crowding me I always wake her up and then get her to move. At that point she is awake so she knows its me and just moves if even she isn't happy about it. If she growled or nipped at me she would have a nice comfy sleep on the floor for the night!! If your kids are old enough to understand that they need to wake her if they need her to move I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hershey sleeps with us between our feet. She uses one of our lower legs as pillows. We have never had a problem moving her, but we do it with a verbal command rather than physically pushing her.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
all my dogs have slept on the bed when they chose too - even as a child, never have had a problem, other than getting pushed out of bed by bedhog dogs :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Uma sleeps right beside me, but is great bout me moving her when necessary. I would test Angel out during naps, but if she's anything like Uma, she'll have no problems with you repositioning her. Uma occasionally lets out a dramatic "whoa is me" sigh when moved, but that just makes me laugh. :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke started sleeping with me as soon as I was sure she wouldn't try and jump off the bed by herself - mine is pretty high! She has been sleeping with me for about a month now. Like Uma, she will give me a big, sad, sigh, as if I am asking the ultimate sacrifice for her to move, but she has never growled or even acted grumpy about it. I think you are right to be cautious, but all of my dogs have slept in the bed with me and I have never had a problem - and they are much more fun than just plain old stuffed animals - even when they snore!!! :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We didn't let Dex up in bed with us for quite some time - he was probably around 10 months when we let him up sometimes. He's become a permanent fixture in our bed recently...he's been good though and stays at the foot of the bed. If he gets in the way, we gently (or not so gently) move him with our feet...he will also do the sigh, but never is angry.

Kirby was taught to never go on people furniture so we just keep things that way - he seems perfectly happy on his new dog bed :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner decided on his second night that he would like to sleep on our bed. He was 4 1/2 months. He slept there through last winter then started to sleep on his bed in the corner. Now that it is getting colder, he begins the night on our bed, moves to the floor then sometimes moves back to bed if he gets cold. He has never growled and to move him once he is asleep is next to impossible. He is like the sleeping dead. Tim and I just rush for our space before Tanner can settle down:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I wish that Dex was, but the bedrooms are upstairs, and he will NOT climb the stairs yet!!! So he actually graduated from being gated in the kitchen sleeping on the couch in the living room - he does just fine. We close the doors to the bathroom and the office....so far so good. My daughter REALLY wishes he would climb the stairs, though....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota has a wierd quirk in bed that he now carries with him in all situations: he hates feet!! No doubt from being kick by sleeping bed companions!! :roll: Now, if you touch him with your feet while in bed, he growls! If you persist, he won't threaten to bite, but rather leaves the bed in a snit and refuses to accept any apologies. Rather, at the lake house anyway, he will retreat under the bed and pout until morning. :roll: :roll:
He also enjoys laying under the dining room table when we sit there. the same veto on feet applies. If you try to pet him with your feet, he growls, makes a hasty retreat and pouts! :lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky sleeps on the floor, but he doesn't growl if I wake him up. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard him growl. He uses two other voices though. He has a high pitched whiny voice when he wants something and a deep bark voice or woof when something threatens. That could be the neighbor's dog loose on the other side of my fence, a cat wandering around, or another neighbor's empty plant pots blowing around his yard!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has the same two voices that Nicky uses. Deep, deep for a warning. Higher pitch yips when cat needs to be let in, when his ball has gone under couch or when he needs us to do something for him :wink: :wink: :wink: No growls either :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are the greatest! Thanks for all the great advice and sharing your wisdom with me!

Diane...Are you sure that Dakota isn't secretly female? That's so funny that he pouts:wink:

I've never heard Angel growl...I'm not sure that she has it in her! And the things that my kids do to her...she just comes back for more! She is pretty easy going. Happy-Go-Lucky kind of dog.

I'll have to teach my kids how to get her to move if she is being a bed hog. And good advice...I'll try it first!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max most of the time starts out lying next to me and i use him a a backrest while i read, then he moves to the end of the bed when i turn off the lights and during the night sleeps on the floor on his dog bed.

Peanut is a snuggle muffin now and sleeps on our feet at the end of our bed.
Max last week growled at me when i made him move out of Dave's side of the bed .....he got corrected immediately and learned where he could put his assertivenes hahahhaaaaaaa verbally that is :wink: He slept onthe floor that night.

Beau if giventhe chance will snuggle up and fall asleep within 30 seconds hahahhaaa and sleeps like a log.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! My Rudy is allowed anywhere but the bed...husband has to draw the line somewhere...lol! Maybe you could could see how Angel reacts if the kids are laying on the floor with her or playing up close and personal before they actually sleep together. I can lay on Rudy and hug him tight and he doesn't mind a bit. Rudy could be Angie's twin brother...they look identical. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to post a pic with my postings but can't seem to get it to work. I am not too swift when it comes to a lot of computer stuff! (In fact, I just tried to insert a smilie and got nowhere.) Rudy has never growled so I don't have any suggestions about that but someone will!

G

·
Hi Rosanna and welcome! Gene is great at getting avatars posted for newcomers, hopefully he can help! And just click on the smiley you want when you are typing your response...it should appear! :D (But it just looks like symbols until you hit 'Submit' then it changes to a smiley!)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I sent you a PM....feel free to ask away! Also, hit preview on your message before submit and it will show you how your message will look....I use it all the time to check typing errors. I don't want the wrath of Mindi upon me!! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts